IGNORED

How many are UBNJ members?

Just wondering how many are UBNJ members? If so what do you like about UNBJ and is there anything you dislike or would like to see them do better?

I am a member and I like to see what they have done for bow hunters here in NJ. I want to learn more about the deer management hunts and see if it is expanding.

SS!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Will.

I am a member, I pay dues every year but that's about it. I wear the flag on my truck.

Not that I am soliciting an invitation to a meeting or anything, but I haven't received any correspondence concerning such. If you happen to get a flyer, let us know.

I was a member many years ago, then forgot to renew, then a few years ago I did become a member allowed it to run out, and the reason is back then there was way to much inner-circle crap happening with certain hunts, like the Hercules Plant hunt, it was never mentioned to the members. If I remember correctly back then they wanted you the paying member to contact them on what hunts are open, I firmly believe they should inform the members on what is available and the member then chooses if they want to join in on the hunt. I know the Garrett Mtn. hunt was just a complete embarrassment for UBNJ. Now over the years even with these negative problems they had, the intentions of the UBNJ has been and continue to be to help bow hunters, and hunters in general. I understand today's UBNJ is under control of new people, and from what I see/read things are going smoothly in a more positive way, and for that I just may re-join.

Ok Will, I'll give it a go. Ive been a member since 1979-80 with a brief hiatus for various reasons. What I like is that there is an organization that represents bow-hunters and makes efforts to protect and expand bow-hunting opportunities in NJ.

What I think can be done better is having a greater presence throughout the state at venues other than the typical bow shoots and outdoor shows. It would appear that the old "preaching to the choir" situation has taken hold of UBNJ's efforts on expansion. I'm not saying don't go to the typical venues, I'm saying expand to other areas such as 4-H, scouts, etc, to reach a broader audience for potential new members.

Also, I feel better communication with the other hunting organizations in NJ would be of great benefit to all.

Well, I may as well go all in! LOL I think the entire Community Deer Management Program should be restructured. It appears from many posts on "other sites" and other input, that this is a major bone of contention among members and non-members alike. There is a "perception" that the program is not on the level, so until that is changed, and the communication regarding these hunts are made clear, it will continue to impede UBNJ's potential growth.

I make these statements because I would like to see UBNJ expand the membership ranks, have a bigger voice in the debate, and carry more influence, than it currently does.

I just signed up for my second year. I am interested in the management hunts but I wanted to make sure I was on my game before signing up. I only started bow hunting this last fall. Also the descriptions are very vague, saying only these hunts will cost a fee and you will need to commit to a certain amount of hours work, yet there is no price or required work hour.

i am a life member

so are both my girls. 10 years old and 8 years old.

in south jersey there isn't many meetings. i have been to a few. they have a property or two to hunt down here. i just never looked into them.

i am not active by any means. i do stand behind most of what UBNJ pushed for. can't say i stand behind them 100%. that is just difference of opinion of said topic.

i have never heard of UBNJ hunt problems down here.

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association

, I firmly believe they should inform the members on what is available and the member then chooses if they want to join in on the hunt.
That's how it it now, they post all the hunts on the UBNJ web site, you just need to take a few mins to look.

I am the President of the UBNJ. We are 100% volunteer organization. With that said nothing is perfect and we strive to make bowhunting the best it can be. Rest assured we are always fighting to make bowhunting better in NJ but it is not easy. As for South Jersey we are trying to rebuild down there. Almost every county rep had left the council then the Southern region VP left the council for health reasons. We are looking for reps for most counties in the South, if you want to make a change give some thought to joining as a county rep. All I ask is that before you trash the UBNJ on a public forum contact us, anytime someone calls or emails me I get right back to them if they leave a message, if I dont recognize the number I wait for a message since I get my share of threats by the antis by phone and email. Come out to one of the regional meetings in your region or a shoot or the game dinner and talk to the rep for your county.

As for our management hunts anyone who has applied and passed the test and orientation was allowed into the hunt as long as the quota set by the hunt host was not met. Most people who bash the hunts are the ones who could not past the shooting test or broke rules and were removed from the hunt. Again if the hunt application period is posted in June and you contact me in Oct. to be in the hunt after it is filled you can not expect us to make an exception that would set a bad precedent and is unrealistic. I will tell you though a couple hunts did not fill up in good deer country this year, 2 gentlemen who are both UBP and UBNJ members inquired about hunting winter bow season. They met up with the hunt manager passed the test and have had the property all to themselves and are filling their freezer. They did not have any "connections" but got into an open hunt.

Bottom line is we cannot fix what we do not know is broken so contact us a we will strive to make it better. And remember we are the only state bowhunting organization fighting for bowhunters rights in NJ. If you have any concerns pm me I'l send you my phone number and we will talk I'll even meet you and buy the coffee. I dont know what more we can do. Thanks

John P. Erndl Jr President UBNJ

I don't agree with all the positions either but paid up my life membership a few years ago. Proud life member.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.