• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

How many are UBNJ members?

49 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   Shootstraight

Shootstraight

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 05:06 PM

Just wondering how many are UBNJ members? If so what do you like about UNBJ and is there anything you dislike or would like to see them do better?

I am a member and I like to see what they have done for bow hunters here in NJ. I want to learn more about the deer management hunts and see if it is expanding.

SS!

#2 OFFLINE   Killshot

Killshot

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 05:14 PM

Hey Will.

I am a member, I pay dues every year but that's about it. I wear the flag on my truck.

Not that I am soliciting an invitation to a meeting or anything, but I haven't received any correspondence concerning such. If you happen to get a flyer, let us know.

#3 Male OFFLINE   Hatchet

Hatchet

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 05:19 PM

I've been a member for bout 10 yrs.I like what they do for the sport .They don't have to many southern events so i just remain a supporter
You add camo to anything, it immediately becomes cool.

#4 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 05:19 PM

I was a member many years ago, then forgot to renew, then a few years ago I did become a member allowed it to run out, and the reason is back then there was way to much inner-circle crap happening with certain hunts, like the Hercules Plant hunt, it was never mentioned to the members. If I remember correctly back then they wanted you the paying member to contact them on what hunts are open, I firmly believe they should inform the members on what is available and the member then chooses if they want to join in on the hunt. I know the Garrett Mtn. hunt was just a complete embarrassment for UBNJ. Now over the years even with these negative problems they had, the intentions of the UBNJ has been and continue to be to help bow hunters, and hunters in general. I understand today's UBNJ is under control of new people, and from what I see/read things are going smoothly in a more positive way, and for that I just may re-join.

#5 OFFLINE   guidotheguide

guidotheguide

Fawn

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 05:27 PM

i am and at times find it very interesting to say the least

#6 Male ONLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 05:28 PM

I'm a Lifetime member of the UBNJ! :thumb_up:

#7 OFFLINE   Pathman

Pathman

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 05:34 PM

Ok Will, I'll give it a go. Ive been a member since 1979-80 with a brief hiatus for various reasons. What I like is that there is an organization that represents bow-hunters and makes efforts to protect and expand bow-hunting opportunities in NJ.

What I think can be done better is having a greater presence throughout the state at venues other than the typical bow shoots and outdoor shows. It would appear that the old "preaching to the choir" situation has taken hold of UBNJ's efforts on expansion. I'm not saying don't go to the typical venues, I'm saying expand to other areas such as 4-H, scouts, etc, to reach a broader audience for potential new members.

Also, I feel better communication with the other hunting organizations in NJ would be of great benefit to all.

Well, I may as well go all in! LOL I think the entire Community Deer Management Program should be restructured. It appears from many posts on "other sites" and other input, that this is a major bone of contention among members and non-members alike. There is a "perception" that the program is not on the level, so until that is changed, and the communication regarding these hunts are made clear, it will continue to impede UBNJ's potential growth.

I make these statements because I would like to see UBNJ expand the membership ranks, have a bigger voice in the debate, and carry more influence, than it currently does.

#8 OFFLINE   Cransiear

Cransiear

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 06:28 PM

I just signed up for my second year. I am interested in the management hunts but I wanted to make sure I was on my game before signing up. I only started bow hunting this last fall. Also the descriptions are very vague, saying only these hunts will cost a fee and you will need to commit to a certain amount of hours work, yet there is no price or required work hour.

#9 OFFLINE   ub1243

ub1243

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 06:43 PM

i am a life member
so are both my girls. 10 years old and 8 years old.

in south jersey there isn't many meetings. i have been to a few. they have a property or two to hunt down here. i just never looked into them.
i am not active by any means. i do stand behind most of what UBNJ pushed for. can't say i stand behind them 100%. that is just difference of opinion of said topic.
i have never heard of UBNJ hunt problems down here.

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association

#10 Male OFFLINE   Red

Red

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 07:02 PM

, I firmly believe they should inform the members on what is available and the member then chooses if they want to join in on the hunt.

That's how it it now, they post all the hunts on the UBNJ web site, you just need to take a few mins to look.

#11 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 07:25 PM

Like I said I see & hear how things have improved and why I just might rejoin

#12 OFFLINE   buckleader1011

buckleader1011

Fawn

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 07:38 PM

Not a big fan of ubnj

I am a big hunter bow hunter too.

#13 Male OFFLINE   rec913

rec913

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 08:31 PM

i was a member for about 5-6 years i stoped paying my dues because i do not like all of their views

#14 Male OFFLINE   NJBowman

NJBowman

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 08:32 PM

I am the President of the UBNJ. We are 100% volunteer organization. With that said nothing is perfect and we strive to make bowhunting the best it can be. Rest assured we are always fighting to make bowhunting better in NJ but it is not easy. As for South Jersey we are trying to rebuild down there. Almost every county rep had left the council then the Southern region VP left the council for health reasons. We are looking for reps for most counties in the South, if you want to make a change give some thought to joining as a county rep. All I ask is that before you trash the UBNJ on a public forum contact us, anytime someone calls or emails me I get right back to them if they leave a message, if I dont recognize the number I wait for a message since I get my share of threats by the antis by phone and email. Come out to one of the regional meetings in your region or a shoot or the game dinner and talk to the rep for your county.
As for our management hunts anyone who has applied and passed the test and orientation was allowed into the hunt as long as the quota set by the hunt host was not met. Most people who bash the hunts are the ones who could not past the shooting test or broke rules and were removed from the hunt. Again if the hunt application period is posted in June and you contact me in Oct. to be in the hunt after it is filled you can not expect us to make an exception that would set a bad precedent and is unrealistic. I will tell you though a couple hunts did not fill up in good deer country this year, 2 gentlemen who are both UBP and UBNJ members inquired about hunting winter bow season. They met up with the hunt manager passed the test and have had the property all to themselves and are filling their freezer. They did not have any "connections" but got into an open hunt.
Bottom line is we cannot fix what we do not know is broken so contact us a we will strive to make it better. And remember we are the only state bowhunting organization fighting for bowhunters rights in NJ. If you have any concerns pm me I'l send you my phone number and we will talk I'll even meet you and buy the coffee. I dont know what more we can do. Thanks
John P. Erndl Jr President UBNJ

#15 Male OFFLINE   DV1

DV1

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 08:47 PM

I don't agree with all the positions either but paid up my life membership a few years ago. Proud life member.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

#16 OFFLINE   Pathman

Pathman

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 08:54 PM

Great response John! I think that's all anybody could ask for, an open dialogue that can address any misconceptions or "perceived" issues. If more of this type of responsiveness is forthcoming from UBNJ, as opposed to some of the past defensive posturing, I think it would go a long way in helping the organization grow.

#17 Male OFFLINE   NJBowman

NJBowman

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 09:02 PM

Every year I write a letter asking for changes to the regs for bowhunting. Just to give everyone a little of what we asked for this year and got none was.
1) To end bowseason statewide by Jan 31st. We feel a big reason the apr zones are not getting the return they think they should is because the bucks are protected for 4 months then are killed as sheds in Feb.
2) Reduce the total number of bucks tags to 3, make them good for all seasons but no more than one can be used in any given season.
3) Make WMA's there own regulation set. WMA's in unlimited areas with seasons into Feb. are being decimated. They are not the cause of the deer problem therefore they should be treated differently than private land with no hunter access that are the problem.
4) Let the council know we are against taking away the chance to shoot a buck in the zone that are open early in Sept. if they feel there will be too much time wasted by CO's checking doe call ins. Do away with eab all together, if a person uses their ONE fall bow buck tag on Sept 10th or Oct 10th what is the defference? Plus a bowhunter who shoots a buck early will continue to bowhunt and shoot antlerless deer until permit season opens in Nov.
These are a few of the things we were trying to get off teh top of my head. As I said none were enacted but it doesnt mean we wont keep trying. If there is anything you would like to see put into the code. Write me and I'll incorporate it into my letter next year as long as it is constructive and feasible. Most of what we ask for is because members ask us for it, we dont just dream this stuff up.

Thanks the Northern Region members meeting is coming up this month and a Central region members meeting is being planned for April. Please come out and meet us and ask questions.

#18 OFFLINE   Pathman

Pathman

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 09:31 PM

Great ideas, good luck getting those issues addressed. The only thing I would not totally agree with is "Plus a bowhunter who shoots a buck early will continue to bowhunt and shoot antlerless deer until permit season opens in Nov."
Just like the many guys who said they would not hunt early season if they couldn't kill a buck, the same thing happens "after" many guys kill their buck. Once the "buck incentive" is removed the hunting slows down dramatically until the permit season comes in and another buck tag is available. I don't know if that is something the Division takes into consideration or not, but that may be a downside of allowing a buck tag to be used early without a doe being required first.

#19 Male OFFLINE   NJBowman

NJBowman

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 09:51 PM

We weighed it out and just felt more guys who love to bowhunt would continue to hunt even after the buck tag was filled since the weather gets better the deeper into Sept we get. The incentive for guys to hunt in 90 degree weather with all the chiggers and mosquitos is for the chance to kill a buck. It is a catch 22 but we do feel alot of hunters will not hunt in ealry Sept. without the buck incentive. Gotta give it a try. Thanks for all the input.

#20 OFFLINE   Pathman

Pathman

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 09:58 PM

I see, good to know you weighed both options. Thanks for the replies, I'm sure there are a number of folks on here who will appreciate the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users