IGNORED

Crossbow Scope Suggestions - Red Dot?

username

I just purchased my first crossbow and it came with 3x32 Cross scope which I am not crazy about.  Personally, I am not interested in illuminated tube scopes, but would consider a red-dot. Needless to say, I am looking for another scope.

I was wondering how many people use red-dot scopes?  Seems the perfect application: low magnification and close quarters.

Please advise what scope you are using and whether a red dot is appropriate.

I was looking at the Nikon Bolt .  I always like the BDC reticle.  It's no Night Force, however,  neither is the price.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Edited by username

Like a vertical bow, the bolts from a crossbow drop, so most crossbow scopes have a series of horizontal crosshairs for different distances.  If you are going to limit all your shots to under 30 yards or so then a red dot is fine but if you plan on shooting further you might want something different.

Seems the perfect application

It don't see why it wouldn't work but I would say its a far cry from a perfect application..  How well it will work would depend on your ability to compensate for distances i.e. aim high or low.. I'm pretty good at doing that  but you have to keep in mind i'm part Native American and my ancestors didn't have sites so it's in my blood. But I wouldn't expect the average white man to be able to do what us red skins can do in that respect so I'm thinking you would probably better off with a scope that has different reticles for different distances...

:hippie:

Edited by Axiom

:D

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the Nikon Bolt XR with the BDC 60 reticle. 

I normally choose a scope that goes higher than my preferred shooting distance. However, I do not think 60ya is out of the question.  Actually, I am trying to see if I can calibrate the scope to 80 or 100ya using a different zero.

I decided against illuminated reticles. Maybe some day when Night Force makes a bow scope! :-)

Thanks for the help.

Edited by username

What are the differences between a bow scope vs a gun scope? Can't interchange them? I know with rifle vs shotgun, the only difference is usually the parallax setting.

Fundamentally, the reticle.  I wanted a reticle calibrated specifically for a crossbow with easy numbers to remember, like 20ya, 40ya, and 60ya.

What are the differences between a bow scope vs a gun scope? Can't interchange them? I know with rifle vs shotgun, the only difference is usually the parallax setting.

opposite recoil

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Is the recoil of a crossbow that significant?

well of course not like a firearm,but it makes sense the internal components must be made different by the manufacturers.I'm only into my 2nd yr xbow.I too as the op wanted to change scopes did and before purchasing one researched on crossbow nation,the seasoned veteran's convinced me buy scope intended for xbows so I heeded there advice.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Personally, I am not interested in illuminated tube scopes, but would consider a red-dot. Needless to say, I am looking for another scope

Whatever works for you.My eyes aren't what they used to be,so a red dot small or no magnification doesn't work for me.Plus my bow shoots bout 360 fps so why not take advantage of the bows capability of reach out an touch lungs at easily 60 yds.I went with the Excalibur tact zone,only con  is eye relief but after practice I got a feel for quick view....................https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=pics%20of%20excalibur%20tact%20zone%20reticals

Edited by hunterbob1