• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Crossbow Scope Suggestions - Red Dot?

16 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   username

username

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 08/09/14 - 09:53 PM

I just purchased my first crossbow and it came with 3x32 Cross scope which I am not crazy about.  Personally, I am not interested in illuminated tube scopes, but would consider a red-dot. Needless to say, I am looking for another scope.

I was wondering how many people use red-dot scopes?  Seems the perfect application: low magnification and close quarters.

Please advise what scope you are using and whether a red dot is appropriate.

I was looking at the Nikon Bolt .  I always like the BDC reticle.  It's no Night Force, however,  neither is the price.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Edited by username, 08/09/14 - 09:56 PM.

#2 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,773 posts

Posted 08/10/14 - 05:00 AM

Like a vertical bow, the bolts from a crossbow drop, so most crossbow scopes have a series of horizontal crosshairs for different distances.  If you are going to limit all your shots to under 30 yards or so then a red dot is fine but if you plan on shooting further you might want something different.

#3 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,773 posts

Posted 08/10/14 - 05:05 AM

This is what I have on mine.

crossbowscope_zps2b163e45.jpg

#4 Male OFFLINE   robnj

robnj

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 08/10/14 - 07:52 AM

Not crazy about mine because I forget to turn it off. Bring extra or tape extra batteries to the bow. A dead battery will ruin a hunt.

#5 Male OFFLINE   Axiom

Axiom

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 08/10/14 - 09:30 AM

Seems the perfect application

It don't see why it wouldn't work but I would say its a far cry from a perfect application..  How well it will work would depend on your ability to compensate for distances i.e. aim high or low.. I'm pretty good at doing that  but you have to keep in mind i'm part Native American and my ancestors didn't have sites so it's in my blood. But I wouldn't expect the average white man to be able to do what us red skins can do in that respect so I'm thinking you would probably better off with a scope that has different reticles for different distances...

:hippie:

Edited by Axiom, 08/10/14 - 09:31 AM.

:D

#6 Male OFFLINE   username

username

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 08/19/14 - 10:28 PM

I picked up the Nikon Bolt XR with the BDC 60 reticle. 

I normally choose a scope that goes higher than my preferred shooting distance. However, I do not think 60ya is out of the question.  Actually, I am trying to see if I can calibrate the scope to 80 or 100ya using a different zero.

I decided against illuminated reticles. Maybe some day when Night Force makes a bow scope! :-)

Thanks for the help.

Edited by username, 08/19/14 - 10:28 PM.

#7 Male ONLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 08/19/14 - 10:30 PM

What are the differences between a bow scope vs a gun scope? Can't interchange them? I know with rifle vs shotgun, the only difference is usually the parallax setting.

#8 Male OFFLINE   username

username

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 08/19/14 - 10:50 PM

What are the differences between a bow scope vs a gun scope? Can't interchange them? I know with rifle vs shotgun, the only difference is usually the parallax setting.

Fundamentally, the reticle.  I wanted a reticle calibrated specifically for a crossbow with easy numbers to remember, like 20ya, 40ya, and 60ya.

#9 Male OFFLINE   hunterbob1

hunterbob1

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08/20/14 - 09:31 AM

opposite recoil

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president. Theodore Roosevelt

#10 Male ONLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 08/20/14 - 09:40 AM

Bob, what influence does that have on a scope though? Is the recoil of a crossbow that significant? Never shot one so I have no idea.

#11 Male OFFLINE   hunterbob1

hunterbob1

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08/20/14 - 10:04 AM

Is the recoil of a crossbow that significant?

well of course not like a firearm,but it makes sense the internal components must be made different by the manufacturers.I'm only into my 2nd yr xbow.I too as the op wanted to change scopes did and before purchasing one researched on crossbow nation,the seasoned veteran's convinced me buy scope intended for xbows so I heeded there advice.

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president. Theodore Roosevelt

#12 Male ONLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 08/20/14 - 10:06 AM

Do you know of any crossbow scopes with larger objectives, 40mm+?

#13 Male OFFLINE   hunterbob1

hunterbob1

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08/20/14 - 10:17 AM

Personally, I am not interested in illuminated tube scopes, but would consider a red-dot. Needless to say, I am looking for another scope

Whatever works for you.My eyes aren't what they used to be,so a red dot small or no magnification doesn't work for me.Plus my bow shoots bout 360 fps so why not take advantage of the bows capability of reach out an touch lungs at easily 60 yds.I went with the Excalibur tact zone,only con  is eye relief but after practice I got a feel for quick view....................https://www.google.c...t zone reticals

Edited by hunterbob1, 08/20/14 - 10:19 AM.

#14 Male OFFLINE   hunterbob1

hunterbob1

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08/20/14 - 10:26 AM

Do you know of any crossbow scopes with larger objectives, 40mm+?

Redfields....http://scopes.findth...om/d/a/Crossbow....http://www.crossbown...mparison-tests/

#15 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 08/20/14 - 10:29 AM

Could mount the red dot on an HHA Optimizer Speed Dial and sight it in for whatever distance you want..

http://www.hhasports...pages/crossbow/

#16 Male ONLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 08/20/14 - 11:23 AM

Redfields....http://scopes.findth...om/d/a/Crossbow....http://www.crossbown...mparison-tests/

Strange, looking at the Redfield catalog, the description for their Revenge 2-7x34mm | MATTE FINISH indicates both crossbow and rifle usage...meaning it's interchangeable?
If that's the case, then any rifle scope would be interchangeable, no?

Redfield, per their catalog, doesn't mark any scopes as crossbow specific...only reticles.

+ With 7X magnification and lighter weight, this is a perfect choice for a crossbow or short
action rifle. Ideal in the woodlots and thickets, as well as meadows and broken country.

#17 Male OFFLINE   hunterbob1

hunterbob1

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08/20/14 - 11:32 AM

Strange, looking at the Redfield catalog, the description for their Revenge 2-7x34mm | MATTE FINISH indicates both crossbow and rifle usage...meaning it's interchangeable?
If that's the case, then any rifle scope would be interchangeable, no?

Redfield, per their catalog, doesn't mark any scopes as crossbow specific...only reticles.

Yeah kinda like a box a chocalates eh? lol as everyone knows if I had the funds it would go into a hawk30

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users