IGNORED

How do you like your Backstrap?

Cousin Brown

To improve the quality, let it sit in the fridge for a week after thawing out to age. I just put it in a sealed tupperware container, no rub or marinade. Put that on a day or less before cooking. This will make it as tender as a fine fielt mignon

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Cook it on the grill, medium to rare, take it off and let it set till it cools(30min). Then take some pizza dough, cut a square the same length as the backstrap, but twice as wide. lay the cooked backstrap in it, throw some shredded mozarella in with it, then fold the dough around the backstrap and then pinch together. cook for 15-20 mins on 350 degrees, take out and slice the whole thing into 1/2" wide pieces. Incredible!

Cook it on the grill' date=' medium to rare, take it off and let it set till it cools(30min). Then take some pizza dough, cut a square the same length as the backstrap, but twice as wide. lay the cooked backstrap in it, throw some shredded mozarella in with it, then fold the dough around the backstrap and then pinch together. cook for 15-20 mins on 350 degrees, take out and slice the whole thing into 1/2" wide pieces. Incredible!

[/quote']

That literally sounds amazing. I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow night

"I am the MacGyver of cooking. If you bring me a piece of bread, cabbage, coconut, mustard greens, pigs feet, pine cones...and a woodpecker, I'll make you a good chicken pot pie." — Si Robertson

Cook it on the grill' date=' medium to rare, take it off and let it set till it cools(30min). Then take some pizza dough, cut a square the same length as the backstrap, but twice as wide. lay the cooked backstrap in it, throw some shredded mozarella in with it, then fold the dough around the backstrap and then pinch together. cook for 15-20 mins on 350 degrees, take out and slice the whole thing into 1/2" wide pieces. Incredible!

[/quote']

I need to try this!

That sounds great. Do you dress it with a sauce? Where would one get a baking stone?

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I soak mine in milk overnight then remove from refrigerator and pat dry.

Season generously with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, coat lightly with olive oil after seasoning

Allow meat to reach room temperature (no refrigeration for 3-4 hours)

Preheat grill as high as temp will go

Grill for about 90 seconds on each side and voila, done

Serve with a nice room-temperature syrah/shiraz or Cab Sav.

Excellence, in anything, never occurs by chance

Achieving perfection is impossible. Striving for perfection makes greatness achievable

I like mine with a little cianti and some faava beans. Oh, we're talking about deer backstraps. Uh, yeah I like them on the grill too. Joking -- what else would I be talking about? Actually, I like to cut them up into very thin strips; do the same with some chicken and get some Fajitas setup. I don't kill the straps with too much seasoning (if any) because all of the sides, etc, usually have enough to go around.