• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Is this a good time to start scouting for this year fall hunt?

9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jpiney43

jpiney43

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 09:59 PM

Soon as the weather warms up and the wind dies down,i would like to start to scout and setup a new spot for next year..only because come August and Sept its always to hot and ticks are out.So i like to scout a new spot now..anyone else?

#2 Female OFFLINE   Ms Grit

Ms Grit

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 11:06 PM

I think they're going to change their patterns and locations when they start to drop their fawns Piney so anything you might figure out now is going to change, although an area that generally holds deer is still going to hold them unless you've over-hunted it or something tramatic has happened to the herd at that location.

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

#3 Male OFFLINE   chris n

chris n

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 11:09 PM

youll learn a lot scouting this time of year for sure...maybe find some sheds too. These open barren woods can show you things you dont see when they are all greened up.

to fish or not to fish...what a stupid question

#4 Male OFFLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 11:11 PM

There's a lot to be said about scouting all seasons. For one I find it's helpful to see how the forest changes and then how the deer react to that. Their patterns change seasonally and with the weather. Sometimes the forest will tell you why.

Know your prey and know their environment.

#5 Male OFFLINE   robnj

robnj

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 07:58 PM

best time there is. I spent the day down the pines in the thick stuff. this is the only time of year I can navigate the deer trails. i was able to piece together a rub line that extends 2 miles and connects 3 seperate pieces . thanks to the same buck showing up on muliple cameras. It's also a good time to find where others are hunting so you adjust the way you hunt the area.

#6 OFFLINE   bill43

bill43

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 08:10 PM

No chiggers now either. Winter is when I do most of my scouting.

#7 OFFLINE   NJPAhunter2413

NJPAhunter2413

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 08:20 PM

the heat and bugs are pretty annoying in summer and spring but very worth it if you're patterning deer. Now would be a good time to scout for possible next year this time or a few weeks of winter bow and late shotgun/muzzleloader
It's not a passion; It's an obsession
ducks n bucks 24/7

#8 OFFLINE   _X7

_X7

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 08:39 PM

Right now is the best time to see the terrain changes that are hidden by the vegetation of summer and fall. Deer do change their patterns to the food source of the season, but you can put the puzzle together easier when you see how they get to them. All of the runs are exposed and pretty easy to travel and scout. I'm always surprised at what goes unnoticed from known bedding grounds to known feeding areas at different times of the year.
How many times have you asked,
"How did that deer get out in that field or to that oak tree without being seen?"
Now is a good time to find out. ;)

#9 OFFLINE   buckleader1011

buckleader1011

Fawn

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 11:04 PM

The best time to scout is now! The reasoning iS because all of this past hunting season is still fresh in your mind. That's when I do my scouting.

#10 OFFLINE   fish_hunter

fish_hunter

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 11:56 PM

now is a good time to find where the deer are bedding and trying to learn how they will be moving to the feeding areas come bow season it always depends on what the area is going to have as far as food goes. its not rocket science. white oaks are always a slam dunk. They are great staging areas during the rut as well before a deer will break the field. IMO bean trumps early season. corn holds and hides deer and is tough to hunt they will stay in that stuff 24/7 until they need water. its all about the food nothing controls deer more than that unless a major change takes place on the geography such as a devolopment or a major highway getting put in. the deer have been doing the same thing over and over and over again for thirty years at my fathers house and the only thing that changes what they do is where the easiest most nutritious food is to be found. Deer are lazy by nature and for the most part browsers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users