• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Who is running a trail cam now?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 10:06 AM

I put one out last Saturday.

Also I have a question for you guys who supplement horn growth with a mineral lick.. When is the best time to set them out? What do you use?

#2 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 10:08 AM

I was going to put one out, but decided not too until Labor day

#3 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 10:14 AM

I'm thinking about putting out a "Trophy Rock" tomorrow and a little bit of corn..

#4 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 10:17 AM

I did that the last two years, granted I had deer on the cam, but most pictures where of bears

#5 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,645 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 10:22 AM

Now is the time to put the mineral blocks out, all through spring and into summer.
I like the Whitetail Institute 4-play block, lasts a long time.
I've heard great things about the Trophy Rocks too though!

I'd really like to get a cell camera set up in the next few months!

#6 Male OFFLINE   CockyBowExpertFromBerlin

CockyBowExpertFromBerlin

Fawn

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 10:29 AM

I'm thinking about putting out a "Trophy Rock" tomorrow and a little bit of corn..

Are you doing this and waiting right there?  Have you ever tried using something strange like Honey Combs?  This is going to sound odd but here in Berlin the deer roll up onto my property so I practically shoot from my house  I took some old boxes of honey combs 5 weeks back and placed around the perimeter of the N. E. corner of my property.  I had a family of these guys combing the grounds looking for those combs.     

#7 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 10:36 AM

I want one of those cell cams too. I was waiting for a "year end" sale on them.  Buy it today and tomorrow they are 40% off with free shipping and a 90 day free trial of cell service....lol

#8 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 10:41 AM

Are you doing this and waiting right there?  Have you ever tried using something strange like Honey Combs?  This is going to sound odd but here in Berlin the deer roll up onto my property so I practically shoot from my house  I took some old boxes of honey combs 5 weeks back and placed around the perimeter of the N. E. corner of my property.  I had a family of these guys combing the grounds looking for those combs.     

No.. Typically I will set a cam and leave the area for awhile. I've found that the animals tend to refrain from the area while I'm there.

How does the honey comb hold up in wet weather Cocky?

#9 Male OFFLINE   Bowhunter444

Bowhunter444

7 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 10:42 AM

I put one out last Saturday.

Also I have a question for you guys who supplement horn growth with a mineral lick.. When is the best time to set them out? What do you use?

I have 6 cams out right now. Now is a good time for minerals as antlers are starting to grow already. I have been using trophy rocks this year and a homemade mineral lick.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller

#10 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 10:51 AM

I have 6 cams out right now. Now is a good time for minerals as antlers are starting to grow already. I have been using trophy rocks this year and a homemade mineral lick.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info guys..

Good to know...  I'll start my spot tomorrow then for sure.

Damn!!  lol  6 cams out... I'm definitely lagging behind in the cam category....

#11 Female OFFLINE   Ms Grit

Ms Grit

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 12:23 PM

I never took mine out of the woods.  When I went in to add new batteries a few weeks ago, the ones in it were still working, very low, but still working. I think my bear is back, or at least "A" bear is there . . .

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

#12 Male OFFLINE   CockyBowExpertFromBerlin

CockyBowExpertFromBerlin

Fawn

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 12:36 PM

No.. Typically I will set a cam and leave the area for awhile. I've found that the animals tend to refrain from the area while I'm there.

How does the honey comb hold up in wet weather Cocky?

Yes, if you are leaving and it's wet out the Honey Combs will get soggy (a sad sight for sure).  I was wondering there if you were in a tree stand close by.  

My neighbor Henry across the way had a weird idea. He bought a box of Honey Combs once and dumped the cereal out of the plastic bag and actually into the box it came in.  He then left the box in a strategic location in his back yard which is a wooded area that at times will get traffic.  He had deer going crazy trying to rip that yellow box open.  They were trying to get at dem Combs like my uncle Vito tries to get into a bag Snyders pretzels.  It's a violent scenario going down.  Henry could even hear the ruckus through an open window and even had enough time to draw.  Henry's actually shot his bow from inside his house or that's why he tried to tell me once (not sure that I believe him as I have reason to not trust him (I know for a fact he's stolen tomatoes from me)).  His house is like a comfy tree stand with internet that smells like fabreeze.  

#13 Male OFFLINE   NJBowman

NJBowman

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 12:36 PM

I have 4 running Ed. I put all my mineral licks and blocks out 3 weeks ago. The bucks are showing growth already I would wait if you are going to get them out. Tractor supply carries a nice mineral by record rack it has berry flavor and the bucks are tearing it up.

• Like x 1
  • List

#14 OFFLINE   Rutting Buck

Rutting Buck

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 12:46 PM

I have 3 cameras out right now (1 primos blackout, 1 covert extreme 60 black, and 1 covert serial ops black) each over a mineral site.  I use a homemade mineral recipe and it has worked great over the past 3 years.  I will be pulling cards on saturday and will post pics.

• Like x 1
  • List
"Your short on ears and long on mouth"

#15 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 12:55 PM

I have 4 running Ed. I put all my mineral licks and blocks out 3 weeks ago. The bucks are showing growth already I would wait if you are going to get them out. Tractor supply carries a nice mineral by record rack it has berry flavor and the bucks are tearing it up.

Thanks John,

Just found the block you are referring to ... and in stock locally... inexpensive as well. :up:

Edited by BowTechExperience, 04/25/14 - 01:00 PM.

#16 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 01:00 PM

I have 3 cameras out right now (1 primos blackout, 1 covert extreme 60 black, and 1 covert serial ops black) each over a mineral site.  I use a homemade mineral recipe and it has worked great over the past 3 years.  I will be pulling cards on saturday and will post pics.

Looking forward to the pics

#17 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,645 posts

Posted 04/25/14 - 02:14 PM

I want one of those cell cams too. I was waiting for a "year end" sale on them.  Buy it today and tomorrow they are 40% off with free shipping and a 90 day free trial of cell service....lol

Haha exactly...we'll buy one and no doubt, a week later they'll be on some blowout sale with free trial cell service! :rofl:

#18 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 04/26/14 - 05:02 AM

I've had cams stolen in the past but not a trophy rock. You have me thinking though. I might add a second camera up in a tree pointing towards the bait site and mineral rock.

#19 Male OFFLINE   outdrdave

outdrdave

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04/26/14 - 07:45 AM

Have had one out sinse the season ended. Will have more out soon, can't wait to get my cell camera redeployed.

#20 Male OFFLINE   Just Hunt

Just Hunt

Owner of Ted's Taxidermy & Bow Shop

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 04/26/14 - 10:32 AM

I got a lick out now, has protein, soybean meal, molasses, and more.   Had the tub out since winter along with customer of mine and the deer are still hitting it.. 50lb.. I do have 2 left on the store on sale.   The snow cam pic is my tub, with about 6 deer on it and the Truth cam is on the customers,  I top coated it with Big & J originally ( just a dusting ) the deer will come back to lick when they need the mineral if you what then to hammer in on it just topcoat it with some BIG & J or other similar attractants that works for you.. These tubs last and I didnt make it through half the bag of BIG & J's yet..Save $$

Attached Images

• Tubs 2.jpg
  • Tubs 1.jpg
  • Deer 10 2014-03-05 00.02.56.jpg
  • Deer Big Jay 2.jpg
  • Deer BIG J.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users