• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Tree Rats (Squirrels)

5 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   Haskell_Hunter

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 04:47 PM

I want to get some advice for whacking tree rats.

I've spent a lot of time walking through the woods looking for them, but they all seem to be in my back yard. Should I be going out early AM and late PM, or are they active at other times of the day?

My daughter (12) is interested in harvesting them, but she's less inclined to shoot them with a shotgun and would rather try with her bow. Has anyone gone out tree rat hunting with a bow, and what recommendations do you have?

IMHO tree rat hunting is one of my favorite excuses to go out into the woods and walk around for hours. I'm probably doing more hiking than hunting, and I'm okay with that. But since my daughter is now more interested, I should probably spend some time learning how to make it a productive hunt for her. :)

#2 Male OFFLINE   Gruntmaster

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 05:18 PM

Last season they were having a feast on the corn from one of my feeders during the bow season.
At one time I counted ten plus squirrels at one time.
I would give the bait a chance for a bow shot.
If your daughter is a good shot with the bow she should take a few for the pot.
Good Luck to you both.

NRA Life Member
"From My Cold Dead Hands"                          I'm all for Gun Control...I use both Hands.

#3 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 09:09 AM

I just made up a bunch of old graphlex arrows for squirrels, going to shoot the G5 small game heads , and My Dale Dye recurve
figure it will be alot of fun
Captain Dan Bias

#4 OFFLINE   johnnyo8148

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02/03/13 - 10:09 PM

x2 on the G5 small game heads. taken the rats with the compound and the crossbow and I always use those heads. Put those on her arrows and she will have a blast.

#5 Male OFFLINE   BowHunter96

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02/04/13 - 09:21 AM

G5 heads are nice but judo heads do the job just as well and they are cheap enough to not care about if you miss and hit a rock or something !

Sent from my iPhone

#6 OFFLINE   Stevo

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 02/04/13 - 09:43 AM

Hopefully they make the proposed air rifle law legal for next year. For kids squirrel hunting is alot of fun and it teaches them how to be quiet and still in the woods.

And fried squirrel w/brown gravy is an excellent way to introduce kids to eating what they shoot. It is yummy lol.
Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users