IGNORED

Smallmouth lures

Jim

white or chart. spinnerbaits 1/2oz. rapala x-rap, pop pearl gray, 3/8. black and blue 1/2oz jig with a craw trailer black and blue. post some pics when you get back.

Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish.

-Steven Wright

small finesse work good, the local shops up north are always glad to help you out. Grubs small worms, but I prefere crankbaits and stick baits for smallmouth. And nothing is more exciting than topwater

Redneck's Pride staffer

Have climber will travel

For the most part maine smallies are easy. June your looking at the end of the spawn up there. In the morning id be starting of with a zara spook...but topwater in general. pop-r's near a school of fry will catch fish all day. They get PISSED. If you find the smalliest have moved off the bank, which they probably will have, you have a few options. You can try crankbaits off the drops/near rock or spinnerbaits retrieved FAST. All depends on their mood and conditions. If you have overcast skies they will eat reaction baits better. My go to bait would be a dropshot. Any type of skinny bait 4"-7" will get the job done. I prefer roboworms. Tubes will work...finesse jigs. If you have to...throw a senko. Largemouth will bite all these too:D

to fish or not to fish...what a stupid question

I've been fishing or smallies for years in NH, all different lures, but have caught more using 6" ZOOM rubber salamanders. One split shot about a foot above it, I cast along structure and they slam it, pickerel tear it up too.

As for color, I like pumpkin, but have had luck with almost all the colors.

Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness

For the most part maine smallies are easy. June your looking at the end of the spawn up there

:agree:

I have fished the Belgrades allot around the end of May and early June. Would usally hit the spawn pretty good. Smallmouths on the beds are real easy to catch. My favorite rig was a Texas rigged white tube bait with like a 1/8 to 1/16 worm weight or a white grub. I liked white because I could see it the best. Color really didn't seem to matter with bedded smallies up there. The right conditions on the right lake a good fisherman can catch 50+ smallies bed fishing.

My favorite search baits were a gold rapala. Forget the size but a smaller one and Zara spook.

Look for beds on the gravel flats. They will look like a bulls eye light in the middle with a dark ring around them. If you spook the fish or no fish is there wait he will be back . Good luck :fishing:

Also have a largemouth rig set up. Either with a worm or jig . Don't ever pass a tree in the water without casting in it. They all seem to hold largemouths. :thumb_up:

• 2 weeks later...