IGNORED

Exciting NEW Turkey Story/Photo Contest! Open to ALL NJW&W+ members!!!!

Matty

"Coolest Story/Photo Contest"

Every NJW&W+ member will be automatically entered when they:

Post a turkey hunting related photo & story in the "Turkey Hunting" section.

- No need to harvest anything.

- A related photo (taken by you or someone with you) is required. 

- The story must occur during the 2014 turkey hunting, scouting or preparations. 

- No length requirements for the story, but to win, you'll probably want to captivate the readers and tell a good story, unless your photo is just breathtaking and wins on it's own.

- Entries must include "Coolest Story Contest" in the title. 
- The thread that you create for your story must be in the "Turkey" section.

At the end of the contest, members will be allowed to vote for their favorite story/photo.

Maybe you saw the coolest snake ever while out turkey hunting, or a coyote attacked your decoys. Maybe you had boo boo and yogi wander in to your setup and sniff around. Or this is the year you killed the best turkey of your life! Maybe you chased a long bearded, sly old bird all year but couldn't wrap a tag around his bony little leg. Whatever it is, share it!

Awesome things happen every day in the woods and sometimes we are fortunate enough to witness them. When that fortune finds you and you're privy to the wonders of the wilds; take a picture, write about it and share it with us. You could win!

Good luck, be safe and enjoy! 

-NJ Woods & Water Team
Edited by Matty

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

BTW, I thought it should be mentioned that the inspiration for this category comes from a friend to many of us, who left this earth far too soon. Tom Elefante!

Some of you were his close friends, some of us were fortunate enough to at least meet him, others only knew him by his amazing stories, incredible photos and ear to ear grin, but however you knew him, you know that sharing these stories with everyone is what made him loved by so many and brought him so much joy.

We can never replace a friend like Telefante, but we will always remember him on days when the sun warms our camo coat, the echoes of thunderous gobbles fill the air and a tingle of excitement runs up our back as a pool blue head makes it's way into view of our shotgun bead.

Like Tom always did, we have to share our enthusiasm for the outdoors so the flame burns on forever. That's why we have this category!

Again, good luck everyone, be safe and enjoy what the outdoors offers us!

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

I really like this idea and have so many fond memories of Tom Elefante!  It's a great tribute to him and the many wonderful stories and adventures he shared with many of us over the years.

Hopefully this contest inspires some to write, photograph, and share their experiences afield this season! :up:

Dan I thought about making an exception to the rule for you out there in Idaho, but wasn't sure how it would work exactly. 

I am thinking of changing this prize to be open to anyone on the site though. It would help you and others that didn't sign up for the contest to still be a part of the turkey contest fun.

I will have to discuss it and then maybe we'll have a vote on it or something.

I'd like to get a Monthly Picture/Story Contest in place for the site with prize(s) for the winner(s)...evaluating how to go about doing it.

Maybe breaking out into a forum category for Contests and Giveaways and putting all Hunting, Fishing, Monthly, etc contests under it.

what if you your no good at storytelling?

Then you better be really good at taking pictures or have something extremely exciting happen to you that needs very few words to describe. lol

By the way, as an update, this will be run separately from the main contest now and ALL NJW&W+ members are automatically entered as soon as they write a story and enter a picture. All the above entry rules still apply.

NJW&W+ member = screen name is blue, green or red. *Not grey

• 1 month later...

The NON-Gobbling… Gobbler…

Snuck out for a quick hunt before the rain started on Tuesday morning…

After not hearing any gobbles from the roosts, I decided to sit in an old blow down in an area that was loaded with fresh scratchings…
At around 6:45 I give a couple soft yelps and seconds later to my right about 75 yards out I see movement and what looks like a puffed up strutting tom… I get my binnos up and sure enough I see a good bearded tom strutting…

I gave him a few minutes and he starts walking around to the left heading down hill… give a few more yelps and he stops and bust into full strut again, but no gobble…

He turns and walked around in what seemed like a complete circle around me. Stopping every 20 yard clucking and making soft yelping/chirping sounds and puffing out every time I called back to him But never giving one gobble…

Finally he worked his way around heading into a clearing about 25 yards out...

I give a couple soft putts and he somewhat puffs out turns facing downhill, as soon as he stopped and raised his head I hammered him…
Good bird and great hunt but no gobbles and even though he is a mature 2 or 3 year old Tom that weighed in at 20 lbs. with a nice thick 9” beard and nice 1” spurs… he has 3 long tail feathers like a jake…

Just an all-around strange NON- Gobbling... Gobbler…

Gobbler24-29141.jpg

Gobbler24-29144.jpg

Gobbler24-29143.jpg

Edited by Drop Tine

}}}--I certainly do chase New Jersey's BIG Bucks, BIG Birds, and BIG Fish--->

Best Bow Buck to date; 2011 Gross; 142 6/8
Best Gobbler to date; 2012 NWTF score of 77.5
Best Northern Pike to date; 40" (Passaic River Pike )
Best Muskie to date; (The hunt begins)