• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

To Scope Or Not To Scope?

10 replies to this topic

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 04/07/14 - 05:12 PM

So for a while I've been thinking of putting a scope on one of my turkey guns, they both shoot great with open sights.......One is a Mossberg 835, the other is a Remington 11-87 Super Magnum with the Shure Shot stock......Is it worth it, or should I just leave it as it is?

#2 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

• Administrators
  • 8,787 posts

Posted 04/07/14 - 05:17 PM

I think if anything I'd go with a non magnified red dot like an EOTech :)
Beads are fine, but sometimes your POI vs your POA can differ and a red dot certainly gives you some flexibility around tuning that by sighting in.
Plus with certain (if not all) EOTech's you can actually tilt your gun (i.e. non shouldered) and it will maintain the holographic red dot on target and maintain POI...so you can effectively aim it un-shouldered (such as off your knee) and shoot if you so choose (i.e. if you got caught off guard and couldn't risk the movement).

Scopes I think are workable as long as they are low magnification...especially if you have to make a quick shot if a turkey bolts, easy to lose them in the the sight picture.
  • Like x 4
  • List

#3 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 04/07/14 - 06:16 PM

Personally, I've never given it a thought.  I just use the bead on the end of a 28" ventilated rib barrel and pattern my gun so I know where it shoots from 20 to 40 yards out.  My current loads are amazing, even to 40 yards whereas my old Remington special turkey loads shot slightly to the right and didn't pattern 30% as well as my current Winchester loads do.  It's a shotgun shooting bird shot, it's not like shooting a whitetail with a 7 mm Rem mag at 300 yards.  I figure if I can't hold a pin on within a few inches of my target at those distances, I have no business hunting in the first place.  And I should be aiming even better than that by far.     

#4 OFFLINE   Nomad

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 04/07/14 - 06:21 PM

No scope. 

#5 Male OFFLINE   2Barrel

Button Buck

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04/07/14 - 06:39 PM

I've been using a plain ol bead for years. Havent had a turkey walk away yet.

#6 Male OFFLINE   Haskell_Hunter

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 04/07/14 - 06:42 PM

I'd say no scope.  Your spread is going to be 12"-24", and if you miss with that, well...

US citizens have constitutionally protected rights - but they're only paper protections if they can't be freely exercised.

--BBC News

The right to revolt has sources deep in our history.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Ideas are indeed the most dangerous weapons in the world. Our ideas of freedom are the most powerful political weapons man has ever forged.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

#7 OFFLINE   Cousin Brown

Cousin Brown

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 04/07/14 - 07:04 PM

I prefer no scope.

BowhunterNJ summed it up really well.

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers:

#8 Male OFFLINE   Matty

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 04/07/14 - 08:32 PM

I agree that BowhunterNJ summed it up really well.

I have heard a lot of people say that if you have an extremely tight pattern, for reaching way out, you should consider a rear sight, or a red dot. If you get a bird in at 15 yards or less, it can turn into a miss with those super tight patterns when you have birds up close and personal.

That makes sense to me....but I've almost always used a bow, so I've only shot a handful of birds with guns, and all the ones with the gun have been with a 28" vent rib standard bead and were less than about 25 yards. I don't strive for super tight patterns out to 50 yards. I feel like you either bring them in, or you let them gobble another day. Most of the guys I've had out with me just use a bead too, but I can think of two guys that have used red dot scopes. I don't recall anyone missing with either type. All shots have been like 30ish yards tops, most are much closer.... I've never hunted with anyone using magnification, but I have heard of people using low power scopes. 

I will personally stick with a bead but can definitely see using a red-dot, reflex style, etc..Especially if you shoot a super tight pattern.

If you're too busy to hunt....You're too busy!

- Sent from my Alexander Graham Bell Hand Crank Model Mar101876 Phone

#9 Male OFFLINE   spltlim

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04/07/14 - 08:42 PM

Ive ran a multitude of sight on my gobbler guns. I really favor a low powered scope. Im currently running a bushnell banner 1.75-4x - 32mm with the circle X reticle on my 835. It is the cats ass.  For a long while I was running a red Dot sight. it worked great until one morning I was hunting in a field facing east, looking directly into the sun.  The sunlight was so bright it bled out the red do to the point that I could not see it what so ever. ended up costing me a bird. 

One of the biggest advatages to a scope is it really gives you the magnafication to really look a bird over before you shoot.  Last year I had three toms come in to 40yds, I was able to pick the best spurs out of the bunch

• Informative x 1
  • List

#10 Male OFFLINE   Matty

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 04/07/14 - 08:44 PM

Limbhanger with a paintbrush Joe! :up:  :up:

• Like x 1
  • List

If you're too busy to hunt....You're too busy!

- Sent from my Alexander Graham Bell Hand Crank Model Mar101876 Phone

#11 Male OFFLINE   Bowhunter444

6 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 04/09/14 - 10:45 AM

I use a 4 power scope with a turkey reticle on my encore turkey gun.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users