IGNORED

F&G Survey

Might be a chance to help influence future regulations:

The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife is conducting a survey on NJ residents' opinions on living with white-tailed deer.

The purpose of this survey is to assess the viewpoint of the general public, with an emphasis on NJ residents living in suburban/urban areas. The results of this on-going data collection will aid the Division by suggesting areas of the state where limited (or no) deer management is currently taking place. Such areas will be targeted for educational and outreach programs on deer.

For more information and to take the Living With Deer in New Jersey Survey, visit http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/survey_deermgt14.htm on the Division's website.

- Mack

I have a blog feed here from NJDFW, so I saw this yesterday and added it to the featured content :up:

I also completed the survey and wrote a pretty long comment section to provide my opinion on the deer management here in NJ. :up:

Nice.  I participated in a township hunt/cull on town park land this year.  The program has been going on for 3 years now and they are definitely seeing the herd reduce to a more appropriate level.  Hopefully we can get more towns to see this as a viable option.

- Mack

I have a blog feed here from NJDFW, so I saw this yesterday and added it to the featured content :up:

I also completed the survey and wrote a pretty long comment section to provide my opinion on the deer management here in NJ. :up:

I wrote a rather lengthy comment as well about how the populations in suburban areas are high and there is lots of land that these deer bed in and then come out to feed in the residential areas at night.  I also discussed the no discharge laws that many of the towns have in my area that prevent people who could gain access to spots from hunting them.  I mentioned the unlimited anterless tags and how that can be an effective tool in these suburban areas but that it may not be appropriate on the WMA's and they need to reevaluate the deer management zones to differentiate between WMA's and other land because it is negatively affecting the hunting experience.

I wrote a rather lengthy comment as well about how the populations in suburban areas are high and there is lots of land that these deer bed in and then come out to feed in the residential areas at night.  I also discussed the no discharge laws that many of the towns have in my area that prevent people who could gain access to spots from hunting them.  I mentioned the unlimited anterless tags and how that can be an effective tool in these suburban areas but that it may not be appropriate on the WMA's and they need to reevaluate the deer management zones to differentiate between WMA's and other land because it is negatively affecting the hunting experience.

Yep, I made that exact same point regarding WMAs vs suburban areas as well :up:

I like that idea (and totally agree with your points), but I don't like the option of making another Zone so they can charge for another permit.  Catch 22 in my opinion.  Maybe good for overall management, but possibly bad for my pocket. 

- Mack

I weighed in myself.  I've said it before and that is the fact that the Division will never have one set of regs for WMA lands and another on other lands.  Only because it is 100% unenforceable.  But they do need to work harder for hunter access into the more suburban areas where the problem deer spend most of their time.   

I filled it out, but I didn't leave a comment. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed the comments wouldn't be read.  :rofl:

I do agree though, most of our deer are in tiny pockets between homes. With the break in the weather, I've seen tons of them up and feeding in all the local neighborhoods. They bed behind the houses, they feed in the yards, they are only managed by chrome, steel and plastic.....not carbon, aluminum or lead.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

I think zone 19 should be shut down along with 23.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford