• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Food Plot Schedule

8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rutting Buck

Rutting Buck

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 08:33 AM

So for the guys that plant food plots what are you going to plant this year and when? I'm headed to Va in May to plants about 1 acre of sugar beets, winter radishes, clover, and some beans.

#2 OFFLINE   DeerMaster

DeerMaster

• NJW&W Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 08:42 AM

Here's my list for the year. I'll start frost seeding some items at the end of the month and will prep and plant right through August.

Alice Clover
Ladino Clover
Jumbo Ladino
Med. Red Clover
Oasis Chickory
Dwarf Essex Rape
Groundhog Radish
Purple Top Turnip
Sugar Beets
Cave Rock Switch
American Cranberry
Corn
Forage Oats
Winter Peas

#3 OFFLINE   ff5950

ff5950

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 09:40 AM

What would you guys do for a 65 yard wide clearing in my woods. I was thinking just plane ol boring clover or whatnot
Courage can''t see around corners, but goes around them anyway.

[/b]

#4 OFFLINE   MS22

MS22

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 10:07 AM

I helped a friend plant/maintain some food plots on his property in Upstate NY last year.

First, we did some maintenance to an existing clover plot by killing off some grasses that were starting to show.

After that we planted several new plots. We planted forage oats, and brassicas. The forage oats came in great and the deer pounded them. The brassicas had great germination but growth was stunted due to overseeding...there was too much competition. Make sure you don't overseed brassicas. Despite that, the deer still ate them.

He has plans to expand the food plots this year. I am sure we will incorporate these plants into the new plots as well as possibly add others. Fortunately for him, there is a corn field across the street from his property and the deer come from the rear of his property to get there. So we're just trying to provide them with some nutritious browse along the way and trying to funnel them into locations for an easy kill.

#5 Male OFFLINE   Hoytmagnatec

Hoytmagnatec

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 03:27 PM

Heading to pa in march to start clearing ground for two new food plots. Clover and alfalfa. Then over seed the existing plot. Then back up in August to plant fall and winter plots buck forage oats and brassicas.

#6 OFFLINE   One Shot One Kill

One Shot One Kill

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02/17/13 - 12:02 AM

Was actually thinking of just weed killing till August, then putting in some turnips for the late season. I only have a small area in the corner of my property to deer hunt over.
Other areas close to house that I do not hunt over get clover in the spring.

#7 Male OFFLINE   tcook8296

tcook8296

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 02/18/13 - 04:40 AM

I have 11 acres of Alfalfa/clover mix on my farm in Illinois and the deer have been pounding it. I was just there last month and there were still some green spots and the tracks and turds were all over. I have 2 more plots of about 2 acres each of pasture which I am and currently thinking about planting rr beans and corn . I have a small hidden 1/2 acre plot which I dont know whats going in there yet. I also have 50 apple trees coming the 1st week of April. Going to be a busy Spring

#8 Male OFFLINE   rossbowhunter

rossbowhunter

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 02/18/13 - 08:45 AM

I have no idea what I am doing and once I get the land cleared for planting I am going to annoy each one of you with many questions.:D

Paul M. Ross

Coldwell Banker Sales Associate

908-943-8842

#9 Male OFFLINE   RifledSlug

RifledSlug

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02/18/13 - 03:52 PM

Is there such thing as good "throw and Grow' or is that an oxymoron?
The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness.
YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users