• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

hunter ed list is out

10 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   deerslayer01

deerslayer01

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02/20/14 - 11:29 AM

https://www.nj.wildl...urse_report.php
shoot more and shoot more often :elch:

#2 Male OFFLINE   deerslayer01

deerslayer01

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02/20/14 - 11:31 AM

if you're going for your rifle permit and if you already have a firearm license you don't need to take the test..just go to your local license agent and show them your firearm license to get your permit..no test necessary

#3 Male OFFLINE   rossbowhunter

rossbowhunter

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 02/20/14 - 12:21 PM

Is that true?

Paul M. Ross

REALTOR

Coldwell Banker Sales Associate

908-943-8842

PAUL THE PAINTER

ALL TYPES OF PAINTING

HUNTERDON/WARREN COUNTIES

908-943-8842

#4 Male OFFLINE   deerslayer01

deerslayer01

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02/20/14 - 01:27 PM

Yeah I even called trenton to confirm. And its true if you already have a firearm license you dont need to take the rifle permit test just show them your license and get your permit. But she told me dont do it now cause there unaware of it untill next month
  • Like x 1
  • List

#5 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 02/20/14 - 01:33 PM

Looks like they are changing things as they mention a new FIREARMS course and also state that the FIREARMS course is required to buy your first firearm hunting license and NJ Rifle Permit (meaning you can get both when you complete the FIREARMS course)...at least that's how I read that.  The new course covers all firearms now.

FIREARMS - This course is required before purchasing your first firearm hunting license and a NJ Rifle Permit. The course covers shotgun, modern rifles, muzzleloaders and air guns. You must be at least 10 years of age. (NOTE: The new FIREARMS course is listed as SHOTGUN on the schedule and registration pages.)

Link:  http://www.state.nj..../fgw/hunted.htm

#6 Male ONLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,001 posts

Posted 02/20/14 - 02:46 PM

Anyone know yet if they plan to grandfather in those that only took either rifle or shotgun, but not both?  Meaning that they would not have to take another course if they plan to hunt with weapons they hadn't taken a previous course on.  Just curious.  I took the courses long ago, so it doesn't impact me, but I was wondering how they'd move forward on that. 

#7 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 02/20/14 - 02:53 PM

I'm pretty sure when I took it, you had to take firearm (shotgun) first and only after getting it you could take rifle (for the permit).

So I don't think you could get rifle without shotgun, no?

#8 Male ONLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 4,001 posts

Posted 02/20/14 - 03:01 PM

I'm pretty sure when I took it, you had to take firearm (shotgun) first and only after getting it you could take rifle (for the permit).

So I don't think you could get rifle without shotgun, no?

Right, but what if you never took rifle?  You only had taken shotgun.  I guess I'm not clear on how they'll handle that if you now want to rifle hunt but only took shotgun in the past.

#9 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 02/20/14 - 03:10 PM

Right, since they didn't "learn" about rifles in the previous course.  Good question!

#10 Male OFFLINE   deerslayer01

deerslayer01

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02/20/14 - 03:11 PM

I called trenton this morning and the women I spoke to said. If you already have a firearm license you dont need to take the permit test. Just go to your local licencing agent show them your firearm license and get your permit..no testing being done for the rifle permit..it now falls under the same category as firearm
  • Like x 3
  • List

#11 Male ONLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 4,001 posts

Posted 02/20/14 - 03:24 PM

I called trenton this morning and the women I spoke to said. If you already have a firearm license you dont need to take the permit test. Just go to your local licencing agent show them your firearm license and get your permit..no testing being done for the rifle permit..it now falls under the same category as firearm

Good info.  Pretty much the only fair thing.  I laugh because I took the NJ hunter ed test for shotgun in 1975 and by '78 I was rifle hunting in PA.  I have since rifle hunted PA every year since as well as numerous other states here and there (MO, VT, NY, etc.) and only took my NJ rifle test about 3 1/2 years ago.  We learned firearm safety long before we took our hunter ed tests and our dads taught us about all weapon types and how they functioned, or at least that was my growing up.  So it all makes perfect sense to add rifles and muzzleloaders to shotgun and combine them while leaving archery separate.   And to grandfather in those that might not have taken rifle testing in the past but otherwise successfully passed shotgun hunter ed.  And newbies of all ages now take a combined gun course going forward.  

• Like x 2
  • List

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users