IGNORED

outdrdave's 2013 shed thread

outdrdave

From Dec 24

Went for a short walk this past weekend down in MD. Only had about an hour to look and went to one of my best spots. Truthfully, I was looking for old sheds while optimistically looking for freshies... I cam up empty. On my walk I came across several nice rubs, a few carcasses, jumped over a dozen nice bucks and saw one of my target bucks.

some rubs:

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0015-1.jpg

Dead head and carcasses:

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

The thicket has matured nicely over the last 10-15 years and should be really good this season!! Super excited to get back in there beginning of Feb.

IMAG0022.jpg

Jan 6

Went for a short walk this morning locally. We got a dusting of snow last night that melted quickly after the sun got up. No sheds today. Will share some pictures from my walk later.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jan 7th

here are a few pictures from yesterday.

I grew up in MD and thus gravitate there when the antlers really start falling. IL holds another special spot in my schedule. That aside, I generally pick up 5-6 NJ sheds each year.. this year I plan on blowing that average out of the water!! Time will tell. Maybe I will lock in a spot to actually start hunting here in NJ.

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0112.jpg

Horizontal rub on a fallen tree.

IMAG0114.jpg

Jan 12

I was able to get out for a few hours this afternoon and picked up my first freshie of the season. On my walk I saw 2 red fox, 30-35 deer, 5-6 shed bucks, 1 nice 8pt, 1 slammer by NE starndards (160 class 10pt), 3half racks, several dead heads and a few carcass's.

IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

This past weekend we were down in MD. We were down for my cousins baby shower but I had to get a walk in. With my Mr. Man in tow.. I hit the woods last Saturday

IMAG0194.jpg

I saw 2 dozen bucks still backing but didnt see the big non-typical I was looking for. He might have dropped or was just being elusive. Here are some pictures from last Saturday.

Big Rub:

IMAG0195.jpg

Doe carcass:

IMAG0196.jpg

no antlers but was only out for 1.5 hours.

Sunday I was able to get out again. Rather then head back to my honey hole after seeing all the bucks still holding and the fresh blanket of snow on the ground, I decided to hit up a new spot not far from my inlaws. It was a good walk that turned up a nice dead head and I was able to locate several bedding areas. I marked them on my GPS and will be returning in several weeks to see what I can turn up. This property is pretty big so next trip down I am going to check out the southern run of the property.

the dead head:

IMAG0200.jpg

some big rubs and fields:

IMAG0207.jpg

IMAG0208.jpg

IMAG0206.jpg

Some internal fields back in the timber:

IMAG0199.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0205.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

some beds:

IMAG0204.jpg

empty shelter:

IMAG0202.jpg

Thanks guys. I get to walk on the weekends with my work schedule. My wife knows I am addicted to shed hunting and as long as we communicate and I try to balnce things out, she supports me getting out and walking.

I have probably come across 20+ carcasses already. Some hunters didn't find, some coyote kills with marks on back of legs where the yotes got a hold of them, a few with smashed ribs from possible car encounters and a few I have no clue. Mostly suburban wood lots so far 700-1000 acres. Half dozen or so different properties.

I have probably come across 20+ carcasses already. Some hunters didn't find' date=' some coyote kills with marks on back of legs where the yotes got a hold of them, a few with smashed ribs from possible car encounters and a few I have no clue. Mostly suburban wood lots so far 700-1000 acres. Half dozen or so different properties.

[/quote']

Wow, still seems like a high count Dave. I have access to 2k acres in NJ surrounded by roads, and with a growing population of yotes, but we have only found 5-6 this year. Just curious, as it appears very high for the acreage. Do you know what the deer density is on avg. for the properties?