• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

outdrdave's 2013 shed thread

44 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   outdrdave

outdrdave

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 09:44 PM

From Dec 24

Went for a short walk this past weekend down in MD. Only had about an hour to look and went to one of my best spots. Truthfully, I was looking for old sheds while optimistically looking for freshies... I cam up empty. On my walk I came across several nice rubs, a few carcasses, jumped over a dozen nice bucks and saw one of my target bucks.

some rubs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dead head and carcasses:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The thicket has matured nicely over the last 10-15 years and should be really good this season!! Super excited to get back in there beginning of Feb.

Posted Image

Jan 6

Went for a short walk this morning locally. We got a dusting of snow last night that melted quickly after the sun got up. No sheds today. Will share some pictures from my walk later.

#2 Male ONLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 09:47 PM

Man, hate to see the carcasses, but cool pics and some nice rubs mixed in there! :thumb_up:

#3 Male OFFLINE   outdrdave

outdrdave

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 09:49 PM

Jan 7th
here are a few pictures from yesterday.

I grew up in MD and thus gravitate there when the antlers really start falling. IL holds another special spot in my schedule. That aside, I generally pick up 5-6 NJ sheds each year.. this year I plan on blowing that average out of the water!! Time will tell. Maybe I will lock in a spot to actually start hunting here in NJ.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Horizontal rub on a fallen tree.
Posted Image

#4 Male OFFLINE   Woodrufflou

Woodrufflou

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 09:50 PM

Cool pics Dave. You sure do put the time in the woods

#5 Male OFFLINE   outdrdave

outdrdave

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 09:51 PM

Jan 12

I was able to get out for a few hours this afternoon and picked up my first freshie of the season. On my walk I saw 2 red fox, 30-35 deer, 5-6 shed bucks, 1 nice 8pt, 1 slammer by NE starndards (160 class 10pt), 3half racks, several dead heads and a few carcass's.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Male OFFLINE   Jeff M

Jeff M

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 09:51 PM

With the amount of time you put into the woods I'm guessing you'll find a few good spots!

#7 Male OFFLINE   outdrdave

outdrdave

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 09:52 PM

This past weekend we were down in MD. We were down for my cousins baby shower but I had to get a walk in. With my Mr. Man in tow.. I hit the woods last Saturday
Posted Image

I saw 2 dozen bucks still backing but didnt see the big non-typical I was looking for. He might have dropped or was just being elusive. Here are some pictures from last Saturday.
Big Rub:
Posted Image
Doe carcass:
Posted Image

no antlers but was only out for 1.5 hours.

Sunday I was able to get out again. Rather then head back to my honey hole after seeing all the bucks still holding and the fresh blanket of snow on the ground, I decided to hit up a new spot not far from my inlaws. It was a good walk that turned up a nice dead head and I was able to locate several bedding areas. I marked them on my GPS and will be returning in several weeks to see what I can turn up. This property is pretty big so next trip down I am going to check out the southern run of the property.

the dead head:
Posted Image

some big rubs and fields:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some internal fields back in the timber:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

some beds:
Posted Image

empty shelter:
Posted Image

Thanks guys. I get to walk on the weekends with my work schedule. My wife knows I am addicted to shed hunting and as long as we communicate and I try to balnce things out, she supports me getting out and walking.

#8 Male ONLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 09:58 PM

Awesome Dave, just awesome! Thanks for sharing!

#9 Male OFFLINE   Jeff M

Jeff M

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 09:59 PM

Yea sweet pics

#10 Male OFFLINE   outdrdave

outdrdave

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 10:05 PM

I ask that if you feel pretty confident you know where some of these pictures were/are taken: you keep it to yourself or send me a PM. I would like a MOD to clean up anyones attempt to spot burn me.

Thanks in advance..

#11 OFFLINE   Pathman

Pathman

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 10:25 PM

Dave, any idea why all the carcasses? How big an area and how many total carcasses?

#12 Male OFFLINE   outdrdave

outdrdave

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 10:33 PM

I have probably come across 20+ carcasses already. Some hunters didn't find, some coyote kills with marks on back of legs where the yotes got a hold of them, a few with smashed ribs from possible car encounters and a few I have no clue. Mostly suburban wood lots so far 700-1000 acres. Half dozen or so different properties.

#13 Male OFFLINE   chris n

chris n

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 10:38 PM

very cool dave

to fish or not to fish...what a stupid question

#14 Male OFFLINE   remingtonman1108

remingtonman1108

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 02:57 PM

Like normal, amazing post on your time in the woods! Great work Dave.

#15 OFFLINE   Pathman

Pathman

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 06:21 PM

I have probably come across 20+ carcasses already. Some hunters didn't find, some coyote kills with marks on back of legs where the yotes got a hold of them, a few with smashed ribs from possible car encounters and a few I have no clue. Mostly suburban wood lots so far 700-1000 acres. Half dozen or so different properties.

Wow, still seems like a high count Dave. I have access to 2k acres in NJ surrounded by roads, and with a growing population of yotes, but we have only found 5-6 this year. Just curious, as it appears very high for the acreage. Do you know what the deer density is on avg. for the properties?

#16 Male OFFLINE   tomtag

tomtag

Fawn

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 07:12 PM

Dave...How many sheds do you typically find a year? How many days do you spend shed hunting a year?

#17 Male OFFLINE   outdrdave

outdrdave

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 07:37 PM

Wow, still seems like a high count Dave. I have access to 2k acres in NJ surrounded by roads, and with a growing population of yotes, but we have only found 5-6 this year. Just curious, as it appears very high for the acreage. Do you know what the deer density is on avg. for the properties?

I don't know but I find a ton each year between the properties.

Dave...How many sheds do you typically find a year? How many days do you spend shed hunting a year?

The last 4 years I have only found around 30 each season. I used to find 3 times that each season year's ago.

When I walk all day I average 7-8 miles consistently according to "mytracks". I start around Christmas, get out usually one day on the weekend and go each weekend till middle of April. Annual trip to IL each year in March for a week (9 days).

#18 Male OFFLINE   Hatchet

Hatchet

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 07:56 PM

I sterted shed hunt'n a few yrs back n this was the best 1 i found

Attached Images

• shed.jpg

You add camo to anything, it immediately becomes cool.

#19 Male OFFLINE   outdrdave

outdrdave

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 10:36 PM

My wife had something to do today but I wanted to get out and walk locally (NJ). My buddy Dave joined my Son and I today which was nice. I headed to a spot that looked good 3 weeks ago and where I found my first freshie of the year. An hour or so into my walk and was able to turn up freshie # 2.. and the first shed I have found with my son. Also came across a few dead deer, a few nice rubs and saw plenty of deer (most were shed out except a few small bucks).
Posted Image

Old dead head.. one side was sawed off and the other broken side remained:
Posted Image

New carcass since last walk in this spot 3 weeks ago:
Posted Image

Bunch of deer and a little buck reminding me its still a bit early:
Posted Image

This rub was really worked:
Posted Image

On the way out I wanted to hit this spot where there were a bunch of deer bedded around a blow down 3 weeks ago. Some of you may know that Hurricane Sandy left a mess of tangled tops and trees through out the woods. The deer seem to be gravitating towards these new structures like this dead buck that found his final resting spot among this top. His antlers lay just feet away. His bases were red but not bloody and nothing was obvious as to what killed him. It was cold, my son was sleeping in on my back, the sun was setting and it wasn't the time to be rolling around a dead deer. I might head back tomorrow to check him out a little more.
Posted Image

Group shot:
Posted Image

#20 Male ONLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02/02/13 - 10:50 PM

Nice finds guys! :thumb_up:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users