IGNORED

HOW many guys actually stuck to their QDM goals ??

And only harvested MATURE deer and left the rest walk on by for another day ??

seems very few actually walk the talk , and when not seeing the buck they hoped to shoot , just decide to lower their standards. sometimes even a few times each season

:rofl:

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Its nj does not matter if you stick to Qdma because guess what? Your neighbors don't!!!! Nj is all about quantity not quality!

While much of that is true, and many bucks you let walk do get shot by another hunter close by, SOME are going to make it through. And sooner or later those ones will add up. Bucks that do survive the neighbors pressure will also end up staying on your property if done correctly.

to each his own , shoot what makes you happy. NJ def has the potential to be as good or better than Ohio, just too much greed here as there is with everything else that comes with NJ

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I did. I told myself I wouldn't shoot a buck that with less than 6 points (caveated if he was an old, limping grandpa - but we dont get many of those in NJ).

Needless to say, I let a couple 4 pointers and countless does walk this year. Ended up with one doe during earn a buck. Worst part is that I lost alot of that meat during the Sandy power outage...

- Mack

While much of that is true' date=' and many bucks you let walk do get shot by another hunter close by, SOME are going to make it through. And sooner or later those ones will add up. Bucks that do survive the neighbors pressure will also end up staying on your property if done correctly.

to each his own , shoot what makes you happy. NJ def has the potential to be as good or better than Ohio, just too much greed here as there is with everything else that comes with NJ

[/quote']

I agree. Saying that it can't make a difference in NJ is just an excuse not to practice it. I didn't shoot a buck this year because my target buck got past me twice with the bow and I let walk dozens or more smaller bucks between bow and shotgun seasons. I did shoot 3 does to keep our local herd in better balance, but if some of the smaller bucks I let walk got shot on adjoining public lands, so be it. I did my part.

Missing most of the season in 2011 made me realize its not always about shooting a monster,i was very happy with the 7 pt i killed.Didn't kill a buck this year.missed a big one,saw a couple out of range and passed quite a few.2 of the bucks I passed were killed and posted on NJH.

Yeah, I've always stuck to my QDM goals. Often times, like this season, it results in unfilled buck tags. Though I was able to fill my freezer with a few big mature does. So no venison shortage.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

I stuck yo my goals as well. At our place in Va we took 5 mature bucks off the property & 2 mature does in the opening week of muzzleloader (1st week of November). In NJ I took 2 jacked up bucks off the property and no does. I stuck to my goals last year not shooting any small bucks and I have to say I feel as if it made a difference this year. I saw more bigger bucks this year than last year.

"Your short on ears and long on mouth"

With the bow i did. I am waiting for a good one. I had never killed a deer with a shotgun so 7 am tuesday morning i drove back from school for the day and i took a spike. It sure was not a monster but i was still very happy about it. So next year it will be a mature buck or no buck at all. If i get antsy ill go for a doe