IGNORED

Elk fight (video)

PV216

Awesome!!!  :up:  :up:  

I was fortunate enough to witness two big Pennsylvania bulls fighting a number of years ago. During the fight, one of the bulls broke off the end of his antler. I still have the broken part of antler. I'll have to take a picture of it when I can and post it up. I actually had video of the fight too, but I don't know where the vhs tape went. If I can ever find it and figure out how to transfer it to a computer I'll post it.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Snapped a few photos of the broken elk antler I mentioned above. I tried to show the size of it compared to a pretty nice whitetail shed as well as another photo that shows how porous the inside is. Unfortunately that picture didn't seem to show it very well.

elk antler broken in fight 1.jpg

elk antler broken in fight 3.jpg

elk antler broken in fight 5.jpg

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Yeah, pure luck. 

My brother, friend and I all witnessed it actually. We heard the fight, stalked over a hill to see them, watched them kick each others butts a bit. It lasted a few minutes at least. Heard a "CRACK" that was considerably louder than the rest of the battle and we all watched this piece fly up and off into some nearby tall grass. After the fighters dispersed, we went over closer and looked around until we found the piece of antler. 

What was really neat was how much force it must have taken to break the antler, because when it popped off, it literally flew several feet through the air....didn't just crack and fall off. This was a while back, so I don't remember it all real vividly, but if memory serves, the broken antler bull actually won the battle.

The force they smash each other with is incredible.