IGNORED

Reminder: 2014 Spring Turkey Permit Lottery Application Period

BowhunterNJ

Just a reminder, the 2014 Spring Turkey Lottery application period is approaching!

Buy lottery permits here: NJDFW On-Line License Sales, Hunter Education Registration, and Harvest Reporting

New 2014 Regulations are up:  2014 NJ Wild Turkey Hunting Season Information

Lottery application periods are as follows:

Spring Turkey Season: January 25-February 22

Fall Turkey Season: August 1-31

Black Bear Season: September 15-October 15

Beaver/Otter Trapping: October 1-31

NJDFW Turkey Info

NJDFW Permit Info

turkey_stclair09sm.jpg

I'll add a reminder bulletin on the top of the page too! :up:

Yeah unfortunately that seems to be the MO. I've had a number of recommendations to them over the years, just seems to take a lot of time. The change to the deer permit system where your bag limit in one zone didn't apply to another (i.e. you get locked out of 2-deer zone if you take 2+ deer in an unlimited antlerless zone) just went in this year. I had brought that up with the division many years ago.

Seems like turkeys are quite plentiful, I personally hate the permit system being week based. I understand, just like with deer, limiting the number killed, but week by week is just a money racket to me.

Good reminder and I love the countdown, but watching that is only going to make time crawl. lol

Fortunately I hunt two turkey zones that never sell out (knock on wood) so I don't apply, I just pick them up OTC when it gets closer. 

It's still 84 days away, but I'm already pumped up for Turkeys. Nothing beats that thunderous gobble ripping through the tree tops as the sun just starts to turn the dark sky into a pinkish-orange glow.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Yeah, give it a try. It's some of the most fun hunting there is. It's easy enough that it's not frustrating (like coyotes can be) but can still be challenging enough to keep it fun. If it was too easy, it would be boring, but every year there are just enough old birds that leave me scratching my head, so I still love it.

Of all the hunting I've done, it's extremely difficult to pick a favorite but turkeys are definitely up there on the list!!!!

If I had to choose, it would probably be archery elk, but turkeys are right there with elk because of the similar vocal interactions....and coyotes...for the challenge....might as well be hunting unicorns. lol  I guess it's a 3 way tie for first.

Deer might be right there too...maybe its a 4 way tie. lol

Definitely give turkeys a shot though, they are a blast. It's nice to be forced to quit at noon too. It forces me to be productive. lol....of course I'm back in the woods in the evenings to roost, but....better than being out there ALL day, every day. (according to others anyway) lol

Edited by Matty

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Only Jive Turkeys in Union. You'll need to drive a ways to find the kind that gobbles.

lol...jk

I'm going to post a thread with some turkey hunting basics for beginners. Hopefully it can help some people out.

Edited by Matty