Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

2014 NJ Fluke Regulations (Proposed Options)

2014 NJ fluke summer flounder regulations proposed official options limit size

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 01/13/14 - 11:20 PM

Here's the link to the article on what was discussed in the meeting regarding the proposed options for 2014 NJ Fluke Regulations per the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission: http://www.asmfc.org...isedJan2014.pdf

Per the options deduced from the latest APP article, these appear to be the options being voted on:
  • Option 1: 4 fish @18" from May 1 to Sept 30
  • Option 2: 4 fish @18" from May 15 to Oct 15
  • Option 3: 5 fish @17.5" for 94 days
  • Option 4: 5 fish @18" for 120 days
  • Option 5: 5 fish @18.5" for 184 days
Source link:  http://www.nj.com/sh...fluke_regs.html

gallery_2_8_46456.jpg

#2 OFFLINE   Palawman30

Palawman30

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 01/14/14 - 02:00 AM

This regs are not boding well at all for recreational fluke fisherman.. looks like they want a 21% reduction in fluke catches from last year which we all know was already horrible. Looks like there asking for a 4 fish limit at 18"...

I love fluke fishing as much as anyone but its hard to justify the cost of making trips to catch nothing in the Delaware Bay. Ive never seen as many boats for sale as I did at the end of last summer. Guys just gave up.
Personally its not worth spending 100-200 to catch a couple keeper flounder anymore.

Hunting is not a competition. Inches do not make you a better hunter, being a woodsman truly does.

#3 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 01/14/14 - 10:30 AM

2.4 Status of the Stock
2.4.1 Summer Flounder
The most recent peer-reviewed benchmark assessment for summer flounder was
conducted by the July 2013 Stock Assessment Workshop/Stock Assessment Review
Committee. The assessment utilizes an age-structured assessment model called ASAP.
Results of the benchmark assessment indicate that the summer flounder stock was not
overfished and overfishing was not occurring in 2012 relative to the biological reference
points. The fishing mortality rate has been below 1.0 since 1997 and was estimated to be
0.285 in 2012, below the threshold fishing mortality reference point FMSY = 0.309.
Spawning stock biomass (SSB) was estimated to be 113 million pounds (51,238 mt) in
2012, about 82% of SSBMSY = 137.555 million pounds (62,394 mt). NOAA Fisheries
declared the summer flounder stock rebuilt in 2010, based on the 2011 assessment
update.

Yet we are cutting the limits for recreational fishermen why?
Lower mortality rate below the threshold, and a "officially" declared rebuilt stock in 2010 onward.

From what I've been reading around the web it sounds like they are driving to that 4 fish at 18" option Palawman20 mentioned, which is starting to reach the point of exactly what he said...is it even worth going on trips for a partial (now half) old limit. 1/2 day boats may prosper with the lesser cost, but as a fisherman...I feel like every year we just keep going backwards.

Or perhaps this is their traditional "scare" option to make fishermen feel like they're losing ground and then they'll push out a 5 fish at 18" in 2014 from 5 fish at 17.5" in 2013 to make us feel like we "got something back" even though we're still losing ground. Seems like every year they come out with ridiculous options that throw fishermen into a panic and then they throttle them back, but they are still less opportunity than the previous year.

#4 OFFLINE   Palawman30

Palawman30

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 01/14/14 - 03:25 PM

jersey makes up the bulk of the eastern fluke catches. They figure by limiting jerseys catches the fluke will continue the northerly migration and other states will get in on the catches to.

The real issue with fluke as I said before is the commercial fishery. The size limit is way to small. The size limits should be the EXACT SAME for both fisheries.

• Like x 1
  • List

Hunting is not a competition. Inches do not make you a better hunter, being a woodsman truly does.

#5 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 01/14/14 - 03:45 PM

Interesting...so how do NJ anglers influence the lesser catches and smaller fish in southern states?
We're impacting the entire east coast?

IMO there is a ton of fish out there, and even per the ASMFC, the stocks were "rebuilt" fully in 2010.
Now every year since we've STILL had more stringent recreational limits.
Their numbers/estimates and regulations conflict.

#6 OFFLINE   Palawman30

Palawman30

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 01/14/14 - 06:13 PM

no there not impacting the whole coast but are impacting the states to the north for sure.

#7 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 01/15/14 - 12:25 AM

Here's the latest APP article on the outcome of last night's meeting.
So if I'm reading it correctly, the options seem to be:

• Option 1: 4 fish @18" from May 1 to Sept 30
  • Option 2: 4 fish @18" from May 15 to Oct 15
  • Option 3: 5 fish @17.5" for 94 days
  • Option 4: 5 fish @18" for 120 days
  • Option 5: 5 fish @18.5" for 184 days

There was of anger expressed at last night's ASMFC public nearing in Toms River on Addendum XXV to the Summer Flounder, Scup and Black Sea Bass Management Plan. However, when it came down to having to select management options there was little variation.

The status quo in Option 1 for fluke was most popular, along with Option 2 that works with it to again provide the possibility of receiving extra quota from states not using all of that allocated to them. Option 1 provides coastwise or conservation equivalency. Under the former, the season would be for a bag of four fluke at an 18-inch minimum from May 1 to Sept. 30 -- or May 15 to Oct. 15. No one wanted that, but state officials provided the likely conservation equivalency alternates that will be presented to the Marine Fisheries Council to choose from.

With a five-fish bag there could be the same 17 1/2-inch minimum as last year with a season of 94 days; or the state could opt for 18 inches that would provide 120 days; or 18 1/2 inches for 184 days.

Check tomorrow for the sea bass regs.

http://www.nj.com/sh...fluke_regs.html

#8 OFFLINE   Palawman30

Palawman30

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 01/15/14 - 12:29 AM

Why aren't the commercial size limits raised and there seasons shortened?

#9 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 01/15/14 - 12:41 AM

I think this was a meeting for the recreational limits only, the commercial limits are discussed in another meeting?

The meeting agenda is titled as Summer Flounder and Black Sea Bass Recreational Management

#10 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 01/16/14 - 10:47 AM

Where are all the fluke fishermen? :)

#11 OFFLINE   Palawman30

Palawman30

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 01/16/14 - 02:17 PM

Lol I think everyone is still hunting...I know I wish I was

#12 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 01/16/14 - 02:19 PM

Yeah I guess so, just a pretty important time right now when they are deciding on the regulations for the upcoming season. :)

#13 OFFLINE   Palawman30

Palawman30

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 01/16/14 - 02:48 PM

Oh I agree.....

#14 Male OFFLINE   Tail Chaser

Tail Chaser

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01/16/14 - 10:57 PM

I don't mind the larger fish/higher bag limit options

#15 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 01/16/14 - 11:25 PM

I'm with you, bigger and higher bag limit is the way I'd go.
But I think 5@18" for 120 is the best option. That's 4 months of fluking: Mid May, June, July, August, Mid September...ton of time, no need for a 184 day season IMO.

#16 OFFLINE   Palawman30

Palawman30

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 01/17/14 - 12:06 AM

I just want to catch some of those big north jersey fluke down south!!!!! lol

This year Im making it a mission to hit the Raritan bay with my 17' logic...hopefully she can handle it.....

Also going to hook up with Lefteye and hit it!

Whens the jig pouring party!!!!!!

#17 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 01/17/14 - 12:11 AM

I don't think you'll ever see the volume of fish that size down south, I think it's a function of food and habitat. Bigger fish are north due to the massive amounts of baitfish and the ample structure. I'd be curious to know if any tagged fluke every migrate far north. I've caught a few and the ones I've mailed in have been caught from the same general area in a previous year...so they definitely seem to return to the same grounds each year?

#18 OFFLINE   Palawman30

Palawman30

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 01/17/14 - 02:19 AM

I was always under the impression that fluke migrated 15-30 miles north when they came back in from the continental shelf. who is tagging the fish you catch?

Yeah Im dying to head north this year for fluke... The Dbay is done.... I did ok in the back bays but that was early when the season first opened

#19 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 01/19/14 - 05:49 PM

Just saw this posted on FB...unreal.
200# limited on commercial guys, and they have to throw the remainder back...wow, what a waste!

• Like x 1
  • List

#20 OFFLINE   Palawman30

Palawman30

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 01/19/14 - 06:02 PM

What a disgrace.....

And this is happening up and down the coast

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2014, NJ, fluke, summer flounder, regulations, proposed, official, options, limit, size

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users