• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

8 pointer Saturday morning 11-09-13

22 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 11/11/13 - 11:36 AM

My morning started out cold and frosty. The truck dash temp gauge read 29 degrees. I gathered up my gear and throw on my pack and start the mile walk in. Once at my stand I attached the climbing stick, get dressed and climb into my stand. I get settled in around 5:15 and hunt ready by 5:30. Shooting light comes and goes and all is quiet.

Around 8:30ish a doe come in from behind me and begins to feed on the briar bushes (??). Low and behold it is the same doe that came in Friday morning and spent about an hour with me. Must be my after-shave. Lol. She feeds around me back and forth for a while and then suddenly stiffens up and stares to our right. Wow, a coyote is coming in. I’ve seen them while woodchuck hunting but never on stand. The doe freaks out and runs away. The coyote paid her no attention. I attempted to squeak at it to get in closer but no luck. He trotted away. Very cool though.

I’m getting tired of standing now and sit down for a while in my stand. I use a Millennium stand and the seat on this stand is beyond comfortable. I try to avoiding sitting too much because I doze off while sitting. So… as I’m sitting there in my stand I evidently take a ‘power nap” of about 30 seconds and am awoken by a snap behind me and to my left. I slowly open my eyes and peek around the tree trunk and see this buck walking towards me. My heart rate goes from 60-65 bpm to overdrive in less than 4 seconds. I’m sitting and have to get up without getting busted. He walks to his left to make his way through the briars and gives me the opportunity to get up and draw as he is blocked from view by a tree. I come to full draw and wait for him to go broadside, as he does my draw arm collapses ( due to being cold ), that is my excuse and am sticking to it.. He noticed the movement and looks up in the tree but does not make me. He turns to his left and hops over a blow down but is uneasy and ready to bolt. He is now facing directly away from me and I come back to full draw, waiting for him to step either left or right for a quartering away shot. He chose his right by a half step and I put the pin behind his last rib, shoot and the arrow exits his left armpit. At first he just stood there stunned I guess. Then he trotter to the creek edge, stood there, turned back around, walked directly to me, stood for about 5 seconds, half stepped to his left and fell over dead in  a hole from an up rooted tree. From shot to death was probably less than 30 seconds. It looked like a crime scene with all the blood in such a small area.

This is my first deer in 4 years. I had given up hunting 4 years ago when I had all my gear stolen, but lucky for me I got back into the “bow” this past January.

photo3.JPG

photo4.JPG

DSC00654 copy3.jpg

Edited by BowTechExperience, 11/11/13 - 07:34 PM.

• Like x 4
  • List

#2 Male ONLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,752 posts

Posted 11/11/13 - 11:54 AM

Nice deer,  congrats!!  :up:

#3 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 11/11/13 - 12:32 PM

Awesome dude! Welcome back to bowhunting! :up:

#4 OFFLINE   Cousin Brown

Cousin Brown

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 11/11/13 - 12:42 PM

Great deer!  Congrats!!!!

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers:

#5 Male OFFLINE   Hatchet

Hatchet

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 11/11/13 - 01:13 PM

Nice buck, congrats !
You add camo to anything, it immediately becomes cool.

#6 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 11/11/13 - 01:35 PM

Congratulations

#7 Male OFFLINE   Axiom

Axiom

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 11/11/13 - 01:39 PM

wow.. 4 years?..  Musta felt pretty good to get that 8...

:D

#8 Male OFFLINE   robnj

robnj

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 734 posts

Posted 11/11/13 - 02:57 PM

All right nice one. Congrats

#9 Male OFFLINE   nycredneck

nycredneck

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 11/11/13 - 05:41 PM

Way to go  :up: !!!

Nice deer, great story, it all happens so fast does'nt it! Glad you are hunting again and not letting some dirtbag ruin a great time for you. 

• Like x 1
  • List

Bowtech Commander... Elite Pure...
Bow only, deer hunter. NYC/NJ

#10 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 11/11/13 - 06:42 PM

Thanks guys. Looking forward to taking a doe now. Hopefully closer to the road..lol

#11 OFFLINE   runum n gunum

runum n gunum

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 11/11/13 - 07:09 PM

Great Story and Congrats :up:

#12 OFFLINE   _X7

_X7

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 11/11/13 - 07:52 PM

Real nice buck1 Don't you hate hearing those twigs snap while you are napping? Thanks for the great story.  Congrats

#13 Male OFFLINE   Matty

Matty

12 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 11/11/13 - 08:06 PM

Great write-up! Nice buck! Congrats man! Well-earned with those all day sits!

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

#14 Male OFFLINE   NJBowman

NJBowman

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 11/12/13 - 02:17 PM

Congrats Ed. Glad to see you are back into it full swing. You are one of the good guys! I remember when your stuff got taken we tracked down every lead to no avail, then a month later they got all of my stuff from the park. Congrats on an awesome buck. :up:

#15 Male OFFLINE   rec913

rec913

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11/12/13 - 06:34 PM

nice story and buck congrats

#16 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 11/12/13 - 09:36 PM

Hey guys thanks again for the kind words. I really missed being out there..

John, wow man, sorry to hear they got you too. Really stinks. However, if you remember those few time we ran into each other at the Minute Stop and you encouraged me to get back out there and even suggested a spot or to, well thanks in part to that advise, I took this deer off of one of those roads you suggested... lol Thanks much buddy..

Edited by BowTechExperience, 11/12/13 - 09:46 PM.

• Like x 1
  • List

#17 Male OFFLINE   NJBowman

NJBowman

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 11/12/13 - 10:09 PM

I remember that those conversations well. How do you like the millennium? I'm thinking of getting one for myself and Courtney. Glad to see you are back into it. I'm sure I'll see you at the minute stop.

#18 Male OFFLINE   lefteye

lefteye

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11/13/13 - 07:32 AM

Great write up and a nice deer! 

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.
Theodore Roosevelt

#19 Male OFFLINE   BowTechExperience

BowTechExperience

10 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 11/13/13 - 09:08 AM

The Millenium stand is an incredibly comfortable stand . I use the M100. My dislike with the stand is that the platform is narrow at the base and also the seat is so wide that you have to really step out and around when entering or exiting the stand. I hang an extra step above my head to use as an extra hand hold for stability when stepping in or out. The platform is rock solid and the seat is deep and comfortable, also it is contoured so that it curls away from the back of your legs so there are no pinch points on the backs of your thighs. Another nice add on is that you can get extra chain buckles to leave in the trees from season to season if you hunt the same areas.

Let me add that the seat is the best feature on this stand. It will allow you to stay on stand from dark to dark without fatigue. However getting up is a bit of a task because it is so deep and there is nothing to push off of when trying to get up. Trade offs I guess. I would pick it over any other hang on stand though on the market for its comfort. I will be getting another before next season.

#20 OFFLINE   Hetley75

Hetley75

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 11/13/13 - 08:22 PM

Congrats. Nice buck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users