• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

3 missed opportunities today

4 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   Axiom

Axiom

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 11/05/13 - 07:35 PM

Been hitt'n Hacklebarney alot lately.. I still have visions of that Buck with the 30" spread waltzing into my kill zone.. Havent seen him yet so today i went in thinking i'll take a doe if one shows up.. Got up the tree about 12;30 and started with the grunt tube.. .. Nothin.. After about an hour i hear some loud grunting coming from down the hill.. Almost sounded like someone had a grunt tube connected to a bull horn.... then i hear something that sounded like someone shaking the hell out of a bag of wood blocks..  At that point realized there was a  guy hunting in a stand about 100-150 yards below me. The guy discharged his Xbow twice for some reason.. then he went back to grunting.....No problem i says to myself, he'll just scare everything my way.. and he did.. Had a mature doe sneaking in behind me but, when i turned around my foot hit the foot strap buckle and made a loud clank...  Off she went.. Jumped the same doe on my way out but she was standing in some thickets.. couldnt get a shot...Missed opportunity #1

So, i had to  go pick my daughter up from school at 3;30 so i left Hacklebarney about 3 ish...Dropped her off at home and realized i still had some hunting time left.. hmmmm..  Started thinking about a pumpkin field i've been watching for a couple weeks.. every few days, at night, i shine my headlights into the field.. Always a group of shining eyeballs near the middle right of the field.. But all the way back,  away from the group,  in the left hand corner,  is always a lone pair..  I kinda knew it had to be a buck but today i'ma find out for sure...And i did...  Got to the spot and started working my way up a Hedge-row adjacent to a corn field, opposite the pumpkin field.., passed 4 or 5 active scrapes along my way.. It was to early for the buck so i made may way to a remote section of the corn field where i had seen some feeding activity going on a couple weks ago  while scouting.. Jumped a doe,, She bolted and predictably stopped about 30 yards out to do a little snort and weez.. I was ready.. I drew back the Hoyt, she was broadside,  Place the 30 yard bead right where it needed to be and let an arrow fly.. She ducked under it, bolted and was gone.. And so, Missed opportunity #2 was now on the books....

The lighted nock made it easy to find the arrow and with that i doubled back to the spot where the Buck usually shows up.. stood there for a few.. realized i still had time to hit another remote section of the corn field, so thats what i did.. nothin..   By now it was prime time.. Buck time.. so i started making my way back.. rounded a corner and their he was, right where he was suppose to be at about 40 yards.. and he was a nice size to boot.. Started to raise the Hoyt but he took off down the Hedge-row on the Pumpkin field side..  Figuring he would try to hide in the hedge, i made my way down on the corn field side.. didnt see a thing.. walked to my car and looked back out over the field.. Out of the same hedge row came the buck.. i walked right by him.. Missed opportunity #3..

:D

#2 OFFLINE   Cousin Brown

Cousin Brown

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 11/06/13 - 06:53 AM

Still a good day. Haven't seen many deer up by hacklebarny this year....not like previous years.
Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers:

#3 Male OFFLINE   Axiom

Axiom

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 11/06/13 - 08:10 AM

Yup, a good day indeed.. And yeah there doesnt seem to be that many deer around and so i didnt plan on hunting there much but, Lately  I've been seeing a few big bucks heading into the park at night, one of which i swear had a 30" spread.. 

#4 Male OFFLINE   rossbowhunter

rossbowhunter

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 11/06/13 - 11:41 AM

too bad you didn't miss the opportunity to be an a-hole.

• Like x 1
  • List

Paul M. Ross

REALTOR

Coldwell Banker Sales Associate

908-943-8842

PAUL THE PAINTER

INTERIOR PAINTING

HUNTERDON/WARREN COUNTIES

908-943-8842

#5 Male OFFLINE   Axiom

Axiom

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 11/06/13 - 02:28 PM

too bad you didn't miss the opportunity to be an a-hole.

WHOA!!!  ...What the..????... whats that all about?.. were you the loon 100-150 yards below me  making more noise than a construction site?.. If so, whos the real A-hole, huh?... :cupcoffee:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users