• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Land Clearing

12 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   rossbowhunter

rossbowhunter

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 09:13 AM

Anybody have any experience with this? I have a few acres on my land that got absolutely leveled during sandy. I had a logger come in and take most of the big stuff on the ground, my plan was to have the rest cleared out and plant some kind of forage for the critters. If anybody has any names of companies that do this I am ready to get some quotes on it, I live in Hunterdon county. Thank you.

Paul M. Ross

Coldwell Banker Sales Associate

908-943-8842

#2 OFFLINE   Rutting Buck

Rutting Buck

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 09:34 AM

You might end up paying a pretty penny to have someone do this for you. You can rent a forestry unit from a rental place and do it yourself. I did this at my land I rented it for 2 days, it was around $400 for the weekend. It ate through 12 inch diameter trees. At the end of the weekend I had a huge pile of mulch from the trees and cut paths through the property. This is an option.

#3 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,231 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 11:01 AM

I'm going to move this to the Food Plots and Land Management forum, let's keep this one for just forum related questions and answers.

#4 Male OFFLINE   rossbowhunter

rossbowhunter

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 11:03 AM

Ok, I didn't know where to ask honestly. Thank you though.

Paul M. Ross

908-943-8842

#5 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

13 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 11:51 AM

Getting the trees off a property is only the first step as you know. Getting the stumps out for suitable planting can get expensive unless you know someone with a track machine that can dig them up. Once the land is fully cleared, you can plant with a simple seeder unless you want crops like corn which are far more involved. But clover is easy once the plot is cleared. At some point, you'll need to be able to turn the soil over to replant, typically in 3 - 5 years if planting clovers. You can purchase equipment for reasonable cost to pull behind a quad if you have a quad.

#6 Male OFFLINE   rossbowhunter

rossbowhunter

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 12:11 PM

I am actually in the process of getting a tractor, one of the implements I am looking at is a plow. I am learning everything as I go, proceeding with caution, but I should be alright.

Paul M. Ross

908-943-8842

#7 OFFLINE   Pineracer

Pineracer

• NJW&W Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 12:51 PM

You might end up paying a pretty penny to have someone do this for you. You can rent a forestry unit from a rental place and do it yourself. I did this at my land I rented it for 2 days, it was around $400 for the weekend. It ate through 12 inch diameter trees. At the end of the weekend I had a huge pile of mulch from the trees and cut paths through the property. This is an option.

Bucksnbows:

What is a forestry unit? Clearing land myself soon and curious what equipment you are referring to.

Regards-

Pineracer

#8 OFFLINE   Rutting Buck

Rutting Buck

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 01:00 PM

Here is the link for the unit. Bobcat rents them directly to you or you might be able to find a place to rent them. This is a bad sucka!!!!

Here's the link for Bobcat

[url]http://www.bobcat.com/attachments/forestry_cutter

They also can rent a flail mover, but it's more for cutting heavy grass and light brush. Do not attempt to use a flail mower you even 1 inch diameter trees or saplings. I have done it and damaged it.

#9 OFFLINE   Pineracer

Pineracer

• NJW&W Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 01:30 PM

Rutting Buck-

THAT is exactly what I need. Thanks for the link.

Update: Wow, $1,000 per day from Central Jersey Bobcat! Gonna make some more calls.

Pineracer

#10 OFFLINE   Rutting Buck

Rutting Buck

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 03:04 PM

Yes make more calls. I didn't pay that much. I rented it for 2 days and cleared a 2 acre plot and 1.3 miles of trail through mature and heavy timber in about 11 hours

#11 OFFLINE   Jim

Jim

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01/31/13 - 07:37 PM

You could always plant around the stumps. Seems to me you could spend the money on both hard and soft mast trees. Just another option. I believe tcook purchased some trees and can give you an idea of where to get them

#12 Male OFFLINE   tcook8296

tcook8296

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 05:33 AM

I just purchased 50 apple trees from Cummins nursery in upstate NY. Cost under a $1000 w/shipping.
Also I just purchased 500 Eastern red cedars through a farm bureau in Calhoun County Illinois. I bought those for about
$1.25 each.

#13 Male OFFLINE   rossbowhunter

rossbowhunter

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 02/01/13 - 08:55 AM

I f I have someone chip back into the woods, can I still replant? I like Jim's idea about replanting trees and thank you tcook for your input. I have a lot of work ahead of me, but at least I have some guys with knowledge helping me out, and I think that is awesome.:thumb_up::cool::thumb_up:

Paul M. Ross

908-943-8842

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users