• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Really dumb question.....

9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ff5950

ff5950

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10/24/13 - 09:55 AM

Ive been bow hunting for quite some time but never got my shotgun or muzzy endorsement(?). Do I need to take the hunters ed class allover again or can I just show up, smack a couple clays, take the test and leave happy?  

Courage can''t see around corners, but goes around them anyway.

[/b]

#2 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 10/24/13 - 10:09 AM

There is hunter education for each:  bow, shotgun, rifle/muzzleloader, and trapping.

I believe each includes classtime or at home prep, a written test, and a field test.

http://www.njfishand....com/hunted.htm

#3 Male OFFLINE   MackofallTrades

MackofallTrades

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 10/24/13 - 10:13 AM

Yes, you can do that but you have to do the homework, sit in class and then pass the written test first.

Edited by MackofallTrades, 10/24/13 - 10:13 AM.

- Mack

#4 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 10/24/13 - 10:19 AM

Here's an excerpt from what's required:

To complete a hunter education course a person must do the following:

1. Obtain the free home study materials: The course video on DVD and studyguide/workbook are available at specified vendors, Division field offices and available for download at online (links below). Students also have the option of using the alternate, fee-based HunterCourse.com site for the course(s) you are interested in. Completion of this online course and presentation of the printed voucher at the field session/exam location can be substituted for completing the workbook; students still must complete the written exam and live-fire field portion.

2. Watch the video, read and study the manual, and complete the workbook (or use the HunterCourse.com site as noted above). Completing the practice exam(s) for the course(s) is recommended, as is practicing safe handling of your firearm and/or bow. There is a proficiency requirement for bow students. This requirement entails placing at least three out of five arrows in the vital area of a 3-D deer target between 15-20 yards.

3. Check the exam/field session schedule and register online.

4. Attend the field session well prepared with completed workbook. Students arriving without a completed workbook will be turned away.

#5 Male OFFLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 10/24/13 - 11:28 AM

I've taken hunter's ed three times.  I was one of those people who just couldn't get enough of the class and took it for my shotgun permit.  Then a few years later I decided to bowhunt.  And several years after that I went for muzzy.

The self-study part is really nice.  Print out the workbook first and then watch the online videos with the workbook in front of you.  Most of the answers can be filled in that way, but not all of them.  You're still going to need to read the course book.  You can read the PDF on the computer and fill in the rest of the workbook.

Bring the completed workbook with you and sit for the class.  They go over all of the materials you'll see on the test.  Shoot, take the written test and you're all done.  They'll issue you your card at the end of the session.  If you can do shotgun/muzzy the same day, you really should.  Unless of course you're like me and enjoy the class enough to take it three times.

• Like x 1
  • List

US citizens have constitutionally protected rights - but they're only paper protections if they can't be freely exercised.

--BBC News

The right to revolt has sources deep in our history.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Ideas are indeed the most dangerous weapons in the world. Our ideas of freedom are the most powerful political weapons man has ever forged.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

#6 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 10/24/13 - 11:29 AM

After one year has passed since you last took the written safety test and you want to add bow or rifle or shotgun, then you must take the safety portion again along with the weapon-specific portion to get that weapon safety card.  That is why it's best to take them all at one if you can or within 365 days to avoid some extra time taking the safety written portion of the test. 

#7 OFFLINE   ff5950

ff5950

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10/24/13 - 02:18 PM

Thanks guys thats what I thought/feared.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Courage can''t see around corners, but goes around them anyway.

[/b]

#8 Male OFFLINE   Bucksnbows

Bucksnbows

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 10/24/13 - 03:27 PM

BTW, there are never any dumb questions except the ones not asked.  Good luck! 

#9 Male OFFLINE   Axiom

Axiom

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 10/24/13 - 03:30 PM

BTW, there are never any dumb questions except the ones not asked. Good luck!

I use to think the same thing... Till i clicked on this thread... :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :beatingdeadhorse:  :shiner:  :laughing:

:D

#10 Male OFFLINE   Gruntmaster

Gruntmaster

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 10/30/13 - 03:48 PM

^^^^^^?^^^^^^^

NRA Life Member
"From My Cold Dead Hands"                          I'm all for Gun Control...I use both Hands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users