IGNORED

Hinge cutting

Rufous, while I agree that some non-natives are less onerous than others, why plant any non-natives when our native species are typically far better? Sure, clover is not native to the US, but it is also not invasive in a forest environment (just in our non-native grass yards, lol). Carex grasses, where found as a minor component of a mature forest, will thrive when you perform a burn or a clearcut or forest thinning and it is green year round and a good food source for all sorts of critters, and you don't have to plant it.

When I took my NJ Hunter Safety test back in 1975, we were given a package of Russian olive seeds and told to plant them for their wildlife habitat benefits. Today we know that was a very bad decision as that species has virtually taken over fallow fields to the detriment of native species. The Division alone spends tens of thousands every year attempting to eradicate it from our various WMAs. I'm always a proponent of natives over non-natives even when some of the non-natives don't do the harm that highly invasive species do.

• 2 years later...

I didn't realize I created this thread a couple years ago. Nice to revisit

I have been hinge cutting for the last 2 years and all I can say it has made a huge difference on my property. I will dig up some photos of before and after. Unbelievable difference and the better bucks in the neighborhood are taking notice

www.liftxrentals.com

I didn't realize I created this thread a couple years ago. Nice to revisit

I have been hinge cutting for the last 2 years and all I can say it has made a huge difference on my property. I will dig up some photos of before and after. Unbelievable difference and the better bucks in the neighborhood are taking notice

Hinge cutting is a great way to instantaneously provide food and cover with minimal effort.   :up:

Unbelievable what my woods look like after 2 winters of hinge cutting. I was actually able to attract a really nice buck to my farm last season. He showed up last November for the first time and now I got tons of pics of him late season and so far lots of pics this season. Im hoping to get a shot at him this upcoming month

20151005_104902_zpst8qak7wc.jpg

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

Unbelievable what my woods look like after 2 winters of hinge cutting. I was actually able to attract a really nice buck to my farm last season. He showed up last November for the first time and now I got tons of pics of him late season and so far lots of pics this season. Im hoping to get a shot at him this upcoming month. 

Great buck, best of luck with him!!   :up:  :up:

Just started first phase of hinge cutting my new farm this year. I have two more sections that I want to turn into bedrooms but going to wait until early spring to punch in there and mess around. It really is a fantastic way to improve property just be careful everyone. Put your ego aside and wear the safety gear it only takes a second and things can get serious fast.