IGNORED

09/14/2013 - NJ Bow Season Opening Day Reports

BowhunterNJ

Axiom, arrow stayed in her?

Low behind the front leg should be heart, unless it was quartering or something. Hope you can find her.

Damned if i know.. never found the arrow... perfect broad side ... It looked like a heart shot and the way she was bleeding kinda made me think it was...  But alot of the blood was frothy and i dont see anything surviving as long as this thing did  with a hole in the boiler room...  Heart shot ruled out...

:D

Damned if i know.. never found the arrow... perfect broad side ... It looked like a heart shot and the way she was bleeding kinda made me think it was...  But alot of the blood was frothy and i dont see anything surviving as long as this thing did  with a hole in the boiler room...  Heart shot ruled out...

Sounds like you shot it through one of the front legs.  They will bleed quite a bit on a leg shot.

Moved to a different location and wasnt there 10 minutes before a couple nice does moved in at about 30 yards.. Got a shot off.. Hit low behind the shoulder.. Good blood trail ..Tracked for about 2 or 300 yards  and backed out.. shes a tough b*tch.. as much as she bleed she should have dropped in less than a 100.. musta only got one lung..

Low behind the shoulder sounds like you hit behind the heart and below the lungs. I have seen a few hit there that were not recovered. One was a doe I hit and we trailed, with alot of blood, over 1.5 miles in Ohio. Friend of mine killed her 3 weeks later with a puss-filled wound low and behind the shoulder. Another was a buck my brother shot low and slightly behind the shoulder. Had a walking bloodtrail...very prolific...for several hundred yards. The deer was never found. Been on a few others that were low and behind the shoulder, with alot of blood, and long blood trails. Not all were found.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Seen 3 bucks 5 does this morning wind was killer up here in zone 9 long story short deer on alarm and fawns behind moms and holding back for over a minute or so shot under one.Went truck shopping the rest of the day and came home with a new F-150 after a few beers and figuring out all the gagets in the truck will be back at it tommorow aferternoon

Sounds like you shot it through one of the front legs.  They will bleed quite a bit on a leg shot.

I think beaverman is exactly right.

I didn't want to discourage you, but the only thing I've seen bleed that much for over 300 yards without recovery is a muscle hit, leg, brisket, etc. I've never seen a muscle hit kill a deer, even with all the blood loss, so the deer is likely to live if it's not pushed. (as long as it can heal the wound without infection). 

Kidney can also be a real long trail if pushed, but they do die and you would have to hit high and back by a lot, which is no where near where you said you hit, so.

Now, arrows can also do funny things once they hit a deer. I can think of two cases where perfect hits were made but the arrow deflected through the deer.

I remember tracking a huge doe for my brother and when we came up on her, we could see two arrow holes on the same side. He had pretty much 11 ringed her, but the arrow rode up one of her ribs and back out the same side on a steep uphill shot. No vitals were touched on the first arrow. That was a crazy sight to see. If someone told me about that, I probably wouldn't believe it without having seen it.

I also hit a big old doe at about 30 yards once. Perfect shot, watched her run about 50 yards and out of sight, thought I heard her crash, but wasn't sure. When I got down later to track, I found my arrow covered and it wasn't long before I quickly recovered her in about 90 yards. However it was then I noticed that my perfect hit on a broadside deer actually deflected through her and exited out under her back leg. To this day I have no idea how it did that. It ended up catching lung and liver, which puts deer down fast too, but must have caught a rib in such a way as to send the arrow down and back. 

Just liver takes a while, but lung and liver seems to be one of the fastest combinations, other than double lung. Heart actually seems to take a few seconds longer sometimes. One of the big does I shot last year was center punched through the heart. You could see the 3 blades dead center on. That deer actually went about 100 yards on a full tilt sprint. Double lung never seems to go over about 50-60ish. I guess what I'm saying is, if you're tracking well over 100 yards, the hit was not as perfect as it may have looked. Re-access the situation.

I've helped track a lot of animals for myself and others in the past 20 some odd years. Sadly over those years, I've learned that this happens. Unfortunately it's a bad part of bow hunting. BUT, as long as our # 1 goal is to always avoid this at all costs by only shooting at relaxed animals, within your comfort zone, on the right angle, with a bow you've shot a ton and your broadheads are dead on, etc....We're fine. As long as you do all that, you can't beat yourself up too bad.

In any case, you might want to recheck the area where you're dog left off and the trail stopped. Chances sound slim that she died, but....That's another thing, they can get holed up in some tiny tight spots and die. I've had them under logs where I walked past them numerous times, in a tiny ditch where I couldn't see them, had them die in creeks and rivers. If the blood trail got crazy at the end (like no pattern zig zagging everywhere)....she could very well be dead right there. They get all "loopy" when the blood starts to run out and will basically stumble all over the place.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Axiom, wasnt it you that was bragging about your native american heritage after you shot a whole 3 arrows from your new bow??..way to wound your first deer of the season, douche.         

Yeah,   as a matter of fact it was me..  But  unfortunatley the American Indian never used Cross bows, which is what i was using  so,  i didnt inherit those genes.. If i was useing my Hoyt,  something a little more similar to what my ancestors used,  i have no doubt instinct would have kicked in and that doe would have been laying where it was shot... :whistling:

Some of you other guys may be right about my shot.. I was elavated by about 20 feet.. Shot was too low to get both lungs at that angle unless it deflected like some pointed out could happen, and may have infact went thru a leg but i doubt it.. There was alot of froth in some of the blood so i had to at least clip a lung..  Going out this after noon for one last look.. giving the buzzards some time to find it..

after 7 1/2 total hours on stand my ass was sore yesterday. The morning started out with me spooking 3 deer no more than 10 feet from my stand. The afternoon ended with me not being able to get out of my tree for a good while as a small 6 pointer milled under me for more than an hour.

referral-0686239001424316551.png

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights

after 7 1/2 total hours on stand my ass was sore yesterday. The morning started out with me spooking 3 deer no more than 10 feet from my stand. The afternoon ended with me not being able to get out of my tree for a good while as a small 6 pointer milled under me for more than an hour.

I know what you mean. I now use a Millenium stand and it is the first stand with a seat that I can actually sit in from pre dawn to sunset.. Down side is a bit  $$, "Butt" worth it..lol

I didn't see any deer in my sit yesterday morning, but we all saw at least 1 bear.  Two of my guys got their does and both had bears on the gut piles in less than 30 minutes.  I won't be back out until after some surgery on Tuesday.  Good luck to everyone; tonight should be very good.

You are now knighted King Douche.         

I think you knighted me king Douche long before that doe, douche..  :hmmmer: .. you know, you sound familiar.. :hmmmer:  :hmmmer:  i'm willing to bet you're that Bowcop guy from that loony pet obituary site NJH... right or wrong?

I didn't see any deer in my sit yesterday morning, but we all saw at least 1 bear.  Two of my guys got their does and both had bears on the gut piles in less than 30 minutes.  I won't be back out until after some surgery on Tuesday.  Good luck to everyone; tonight should be very good.

What county are you in? Bears come that quick for the gutpile?

referral-0686239001424316551.png

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights