IGNORED

09/14/2013 - NJ Bow Season Opening Day Reports

BowhunterNJ

I actually got out late around 8:30 or 9 with an old bow since my bow is on it's way to Idaho. Checked the wind and decided to still-hunt a creek bottom that acts as bedding and leads to more bedding from a corn field.

Ended up spotting a doe that bedded out ahead of me. After some time I was able to get within about 15 yards of her. If it weren't for the wind and creek I never could have snuck up on her like I did. When I got as close as I could, it ended up still being too thick where she was and I just couldn't get a shot. If she stood up, I thought I could probably snake an arrow through an opening, but after trying to wait her out for a short while, she must have got a swirl of my wind or finally saw me because she eventually busted out of there.

That was the only deer I saw.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Wow what a great day i'm having.. Busting my ass.. Those deer are killing me today... Forgot to go to bed early last night and before i knew it it was almost time to head for the woods.. I'm exhausted but still got more work to do... Got in my stand about 5 or so this morning,, Wind was kicking up and i was underdressed.. got cold.. So about legal shooting time i said screw this i'm getting down and doing some stalking..  Climbed out of my stand and walked down the hedge row a few yards then spotted a doe about 60 yards off to my right.. She saw me before i saw her so i just kept walking her way till she ran off....  Followed the path i thought she took.. Got to the end and doubled back on the other side of the hedge. Again she saw me first and jumped out in front about 30 feet ahead.. Not enough time for a shot..  Worked my way up the row to where i thought she would be and saw her again about 70 yards out. Sliped to the other side of the row for concealment and worked my way towards her.. Got to the end and she was gone.. 

Moved to a different location and wasnt there 10 minutes before a couple nice does moved in at about 30 yards.. Got a shot off.. Hit low behind the shoulder.. Good blood trail ..Tracked for about 2 or 300 yards  and backed out.. shes a tough b*tch.. as much as she bleed she should have dropped in less than a 100.. musta only got one lung.. Heading back out now to see if i can  pick up the trail and find her..

blood trail.jpg

blood trail 2.jpg

:D

Went out with my youngest brother Mike this afternoon. He saw six deer, since they were well out of range and not heading his way with little time left, he decided to put a stalk on them. He got to within 25 yards, went to draw back and they caught him. They GONE!

I didn't see anything this afternoon.

Axiom, arrow stayed in her?

Low behind the front leg should be heart, unless it was quartering or something. Hope you can find her.

Edited by Matty

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Wow what a great day i'm having.. Busting my ass.. Those deer are killing me today... Forgot to go to bed early last night and before i knew it it was almost time to head for the woods.. I'm exhausted but still got more work to do... Got in my stand about 5 or so this morning,, Wind was kicking up and i was underdressed.. got cold.. So about legal shooting time i said screw this i'm getting down and doing some stalking.. Climbed out of my stand and walked down the hedge row a few yards then spotted a doe about 60 yards off to my right.. She saw me before i saw her so i just kept walking her way till she ran off.... Followed the path i thought she took.. Got to the end and doubled back on the other side of the hedge. Again she saw me first and jumped out in front about 30 feet ahead.. Not enough time for a shot.. Worked my way up the row to where i thought she would be and saw her again about 70 yards out. Sliped to the other side of the row for concealment and worked my way towards her.. Got to the end and she was gone..

Moved to a different location and wasnt there 10 minutes before a couple nice does moved in at about 30 yards.. Got a shot off.. Hit low behind the shoulder.. Good blood trail ..Tracked for about 2 or 300 yards and backed out.. shes a tough b*tch.. as much as she bleed she should have dropped in less than a 100.. musta only got one lung.. Heading back out now to see if i can pick up the trail and find her..

Picked up the blood trail this afternoon with my trusty dog who is as useful as tits on a bull and followed it about 30 more yards to a spot where she layed down for awhile.. After that the trail ran cold.. Searched high and low.. Nothing.. Never seen a deer bleed so much and go so far..  Will be back out in the am after my morning sit .. but i wont be looking for the deer, i'll be looking for the buzzards feeding on my kill...... :lookaround:

:D

As usual I could not sleep last night and finally fell asleep around 1:00am. The alarm rang at 4:00. Jumped up out of bed and into the shower. Leave the house at 4:45 and get to my spot at 5:00.. Get out of the car and the first thing I notice is it is kinda cool. That kinda cool that makes you wonder why I did not choose a slightly heavier pull over. Anyway, I gather my gear and head to my stand. I climb up and am hunting ready by 5:15am. The early part of the morning was uneventfull till about 8:30 ish, no shot and she was small.. Had a few squirrels eating my corn, but that was it. I climbed down at 10:00 and headrd back to the Subaru, then whent home, made breakfast, ate, kissed my daughter and wife, then passed out on the couch for a couple hours.

Got back into my stand at 2:00 and it was dead til around 6:45 and I heard rustling of leaves behind me and to the right. I see a big brown 140# buck with a basket rack walking past me at 30 yards. Funny thing is you had to look hard to see his rack.. That was cool. about 10 minutes later this 35-40 lb. doe comes in. "Where is your mommy" I wanted to yell at her..lol I did not attempt to shoot her.

Climbed down at dark and came home. It was a very nice morning and glad to be back in the woods after a 3 year layoff...

image.jpg

Edited by BowTechExperience

Saw nothing this morning. It was pretty windy up on the mountain. This evening the wind settled some. I saw 6 deer with 5 of them being buttons all within 30 yards. The lone doe walked straight out of the bedding into the corn offering no shot angle.