IGNORED

The Idaho Elk Journey: "Preparing for the trip"

Matty

Ok, so I know Rusty asked me to share the making of our "Elk Journey" so he could live vicariously through me. :):D

So here's part one of our upcoming Idaho Elk hunt.

Planning started about 8 months ago when I decided that I want to go to Idaho to hunt elk. My brother Andy (Silverhawk94 on here), and my friends Jon, Tom and Dan were all on board.

Dan lives out in Idaho, so he's been our contact to Idaho and our personal "guide" throughout the whole process. Dan was instrumental in every aspect of planning, without him, I don't think the trip would have happened. THANKS DAN!!!!

So the preparation began way back at the start of planning.

Gear had to be bought. Since it's a DIY hunt on public land, lots of gear had to be bought. More than I expected. Basically you don't want to travel 2500 miles to have gear fail, so things are upgraded and spares are purchased.

My brother and I will be hanging in hammocks if it's not frigid cold at night. Everyone else went more conventional and will be using tents. Dan has an outfitter style camp setup for us all as well. So we have a nice base camp to come back to if "hammovouacking" (hammock bivouacking - lol) is not possible.

We each attempted to obtain a greater level of fitness throughout the entire summer. Some did better than others, I really struggled to overcome health issues, but we all made progress.

Hikes were taken up some of the steepest spots we could find in little old New Jersey, but our elevations pale in comparison to what we'll see out there. In any case, I hope we did enough of this to help build up the cardio and legs! At least it put a few miles on new boots.

post 1.jpeg

Seasons are changing!

post 2.jpeg

Still hiking!

post 3.jpeg

Almost to the top of this hill. This one is "hands and feet steep". Good practice for what we might encounter out there.

post 4.jpeg

With all that hiking, unorthodox lacing techniques were explored to alleviate foot/boot problems.

post 5.jpeg

Broadhead tipped arrows were shot and shot and shot some more, out to 50 yards. Those Muzzys really start to chew up a target!

post 6.jpeg

Elk Calling and behavior was learned as best as 8 months allows.

And visions of this filled A LOT of dreams, both day and night!

post 7.jpeg

Originally a road-trip was planned between Tom, Andy and myself, but some things changed and everyone is now flying out.

Flights and rental cars are booked. MRE's have been shipped, bows and gear are being shipped.

We'll be gone from the 18th to the 30th, so the rest of the story is almost ready to be written.

With a lot of luck and effort "Part Two" will hopefully include some ear to ear grinning behind some Wapiti.

Good luck to everyone in your adventures! -Matt

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Thanks Rusty!

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Awesome Matty! Best of luck to you guys out there and great pictorial of your training this summer! Stay safe and shoot straight buddy! :up:

BTW, did you practice the 5 mile sprint up and down mountains, immediately followed by a shot at an elk at 50 yards while you feel like your lungs are about the explode? :D

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to take pictures and report back as well.

Only 7 days before we leave. :whoo:

Hey Matty,

I like reading about hunts and all the prep work that goes into a hunt like this. Good luck to you guys on your trip. Be safe and listen to your body man. Expecting more pics of your adventure. :up:

Yeah, I wish I could have been even more thorough, because this is really just the tip of the iceberg with preparations, but I didn't want to write a book, especially since we haven't even gone yet. lol

I'll do my best to document everything else with pictures and notes too though, to share and also to help me remember it someday.

Awesome Matty! Best of luck to you guys out there and great pictorial of your training this summer! Stay safe and shoot straight buddy! :up:
BTW, did you practice the 5 mile sprint up and down mountains, immediately followed by a shot at an elk at 50 yards while you feel like your lungs are about the explode? :D

5 mile sprints up mountains are for sissys.

That's why I didn't even bother doing that....lol

Have a great trip, Matty!  That's a bucket lister for me one day.  Looking forward to additional reports.

Thanks Brian. You should cross that one off someday soon. It's really not that expensive if you DIY. About $600 for the tags, $600 or so for flights and a rental car, $400ish on two-way shipping and the cost of whatever gear and food you need.

My cousin John has been going out there every year for well over 10 years. He used to drive from NH, now he flies to SLC UT and rents a car.

This has always been my dream hunt too and I figured life's too short to keep saying "someday".

Edited by Matty