IGNORED

String Walking?

Mallard1100

Any trad guys string walk at all? I'm just starting to get into trad archery and watched this guys video. Its very informative and he mainly talks and breaks down his technique of string walking and using a "25 yard fixed crawl". It is surprisingly accurate and for just starting out I am shooting some pretty solid groups out to 20 yards.  Just curious if anyone else is shooting this technique. I know trad archery is " journey" for everyone.  Around 1:05 he talks specifically about it in a little more detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E1vKkSSoNs

Although i have seen guys use the trchnique I wouldn’t advise it for hunting. You might as well put a sight on the bow instead. Trad should be instictive IMO. A consistant anchor is the most crucial thing. My accuracy went way up when i started using Rick Welches technique. You have to custom fletch your arrows for it but gave me consistency i never had before. Check put some of his videos

AWM

String walking really requires a long bow (length) to tune adequately at all crawls. You would also have to use an ILF bow to adjust tiller correctly for proper tuning. I would recommend a 3 finger under anchor point as high on your face as comfortable and consistent as possible. Then shoot (tune) full length arrows. This will give you as close to a “point on” aiming method without changing crawls in a hunting situation.

I've heard mixed things about stringwalking for hunting. The push is an awesome movie and a ton of guys swear by using a fixed crawl for hunting. Maybe ask for more advice on archerytalk or tradgang.

Like gobblengrunt said, shooting 3 under and full length arrows will give you a much closer point on. In some cases, you might not even need much of a crawl.

I'm pretty damn new to trad archery, and was trying to work with some crawls, and even gun barreling, but looking down the arrow just doesn't feel right to my brain at all. I got some quality advice from arne moe and I'm just shooting instinctively now. Getting your form consistent is step 1. Start at 5 yards from the bag and shoot 1 arrow at a time. Your brain will adjust and you eventually just keep moving back 1 step at a time. I'm consistently shooting good groups at 15 yards now and I've really only been shooting for just under 2 months, and only on days when the weather is nice

Although i have seen guys use the trchnique I wouldn’t advise it for hunting. You might as well put a sight on the bow instead. Trad should be instictive IMO. A consistant anchor is the most crucial thing. My accuracy went way up when i started using Rick Welches technique. You have to custom fletch your arrows for it but gave me consistency i never had before. Check put some of his videos

Have you attended his shooting school? It seems like something I'd like to do in the future

Mallard,

I have been shooting Traditional before it was called "Traditional Archery".

Ran the complete circle... Longbow, Recurve, Compound, Recurve, and finally back to the Longbow.

Never once used the three finger style, nor sighting down the arrow like a shotgun.

Just as life in general, There is no fast way to do things.

You need to put your time in and Practice... Practice ... Practice.

Get to know your bow and equipment, intimately.

There are no short cuts to anything.

Start close up about 5 yards or so.

Get your basic form down pat.

Increase out another 5 yards, for total of ten.

Practice, Practice, Practice some more.

If you are putting the majority of your arrows into a styrofoam cup at 10 yards.

Move out to 15, etc...

Did I happen to mention... PRACTICE?  

So get out there and P-R-A-C-T-I-C-E :up:

Edited by Bill from NJ

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

I am an occasional "trad shooter' but not yet a trad hunter.  Gobblengrunt got me set up.  The man literally tuned my bow with the proper arrows, and went out back and having never shot my bow hit a spot on the target the size of a silver dollar at like 25 yards with his first shot. No gimmicks - just "feel".  I think if you want to hunt with this equipment, it's all about the feel and instinct and practice.  When I practice frequently my confidence level shoots through the roof and I am "ready to do this", but when I don't practice for a week or a month - no way I am gonna take it out on a live animal. 

It's been really hard for me to get over that hump from practice to hunting situations so the compound goes afield.  

(not sure what nuggets of wisdom I added here, other than I don't think this is the method you want to use for hunting)

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Mallard,

After you start practicing on your own standing straight up like the Target archers/shooters do, begin shooting from awkward positions.

Shoot sitting, kneeling, laying on your stomach, laying across a log, turn and shoot behind yourself, and from flat on your back sitting up shooting, etc.

Because when you get good at shooting from awkward positions you will kick ass hunting.

You will never be caught off guard for the shot.

Also, try stump shooting. Take a stroll alone through the woods, shooting at leaves, stumps, branches, ect.

This will help you get your distance/yardage focused and your shots zeroed in on target, without knowing the exact distance.

You will be kicking butt fairly quickly... BUT you need to focus and make the commitment.

Have fun and don't be too hard on yourself at the beginning and quit.

Hang in there... it will come grasshopper :up:

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

No matter what style of shooting you end up with, you ALWAYS are utilizing some type of aiming system. Even when an archer thinks they are shooting “instinctive”, there is a subconscious sight picture where your brain sees the relation between your arrow, target, hand position, etc. that’s “aims” for you.

I haven't got the slightest clue on what most of the crawls or techniques mentioned here are, just do it instinctively. Think of yourself becoming a purist of all that you do, that's how you really learn, What I found when I really started archery 7 years ago is that the more things you focus on with correcting a form, the more complicated it will become. Just listen to your body and it will tell you how you fell comfortable standing, drawing, anchoring, etc I'd honestly recommend getting your self some flu flu's with blunt points, settling down on one bow, and really get to learn it, I truly do believe target archery screws up the brain, just do stump shooting, shoot at anything in nature,  single at a fern with a dark spot from a clump, shoot a tree stumps, sections of logs, forks, woodpecker holes whatever, take potshots at chipmunks n' birds, all of these things will combine into making the process, well... natural. The flu flu's are important as they are much less likely to become lost, plus blunt points don't burry. If you get real good with flu flu's only a minor adjustment with regular fletchings and you'll be deadly accurate. When your good and ready, you can experiment with different bows, learn with only one first, then you'll be good. Try to broaden your bows as well, I shoot between mainly a 55# BP-52 from 69'. a 72" 60#hickory self bow with steam bent tips, and a 100# longbow. You'll know when your good and ready when you can draw and release in a single motion and be accurate. That's my experience with trad n' primitive archery anyway. Become a purist, and you'll learn.

Edited by Sticks n' Stones2