• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Looking for a good quality backpack

25 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 12:47 PM

Been using different cat quivers for about 30 years.

Have them in all sizes, but even the biggest is a little small for all day hunts.

I jam so much stuff in the bag that is taken a beating.

Looking for a WELL made backpack that can hold alot of stuff, yet not be crazy heavy.

Goint to attach a holder to it for attaching a bow quiver to it once in the tree

Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING
www.njfishingcharters.net

#2 Male OFFLINE   Tarhunt

Tarhunt

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 12:51 PM

I have a USMC back pack and it holds a lot of stuff.

• Like x 1
  • List

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

#3 Male OFFLINE   electric10162

electric10162

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 12:52 PM

FB_IMG_1512100394040.jpg

• Winner x 1
  • List

#4 Male OFFLINE   JerseyJaysTaxidermy

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 12:58 PM

Lol I'm the most unprepared hunter.
I don't carry a thing. Half the time I am using my phone for a flashlight.
I never have a knife or a pen.
I forget my rangefinder half the time..

I like to go hunting with minimal crap to carry as it makes it that much more enjoyable.

I don't sit all day tho.. otherwise I probably would carry all kinds of snacks ;)

It's funny tho-
If I hunt with other people, they always have a game plan to get ready by their truck..
I turn my key, step out, grab my bow and go.

They always take 20 mins to "gear up" lol. I'm standing around waiting to walk in together thinking "holy crap it's gonna be dark before you're ready"

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy, 02/12/18 - 01:01 PM.

• Funny x 1
  • List

#5 Male OFFLINE   mightyhunter

mightyhunter

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 01:00 PM

Check out Badlands packs. Good stuff

http://www.badlandsp....com/gear/packs

Edited by mightyhunter, 02/12/18 - 01:26 PM.

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#6 Male OFFLINE   TDietz

TDietz

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 01:01 PM

http://www.cabelas.c...Pack/714188.uts

works for me

• Like x 1
  • List

without me, my rifle is nothing

#7 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 01:02 PM

Lol I'm the most unprepared hunter.
I don't carry a thing. Half the time I am using my phone for a flashlight.
I never have a knife or a pen.
I forget my rangefinder half the time..

I like to go hunting with minimal crap to carry as it makes it that much more enjoyable.

I don't sit all day tho.. otherwise I probably would carry all kinds of snacks ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I need 4 liters of coke for an all day sit. At least 4 sandwiches . and LOTS of snacks .

• Funny x 1
  • List
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

#8 Male OFFLINE   6.5 Swede

6.5 Swede

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 01:11 PM

I have had a Badlands Pursuit for 3 years now, and still like everything about it.  Just enough of everything, not too much of anything.

It's funny how, when I started bowhunting 36 years ago, a fanny pack carried everything I needed for a few hours in the woods, now I require a daypack.

• Like x 1
  • List

#9 Male ONLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 01:19 PM

I bought  a small one from Tenzing for early bow season and I liked it so much I bought another one, little bigger, for late season hunting. Very well made with some great features incorporated into the overall design.  

http://www.tenzingoutdoors.com/

• Like x 1
  • List

#10 Male OFFLINE   tcook8296

tcook8296

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 01:21 PM

In have 2 backpacks. One for a morning or evening sit and one for the all day sits. The large one needs to hold extra gear as well as lunch, snacks, 2 thermos, maybe a bottled drink. Ive been looking at the Sitka back packs for next season 

• Like x 1
  • List

#11 Male OFFLINE   TheGreek

TheGreek

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 03:04 PM

I use a $20 field and stream pack and travel light. Rope to pull, knife, flashlight, gloves to clean, face mask, thermcell if needed, water and bear spray.
  • Like x 1
  • List
Mr. 300

#12 OFFLINE   Mallard1100

Mallard1100

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 03:18 PM

I have a Bison Gear Lost River lumbar pack. Couldn't be happier with it.

• Like x 1
  • List

#13 OFFLINE   68Ioweu1

68Ioweu1

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 04:02 PM

No such thing as the perfect pack

Edited by 68Ioweu1, 02/12/18 - 04:02 PM.

• Agree x 1
  • List

#14 Male OFFLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 04:34 PM

I have to admit that I have a bag fetish.  I realized this when I bought my third pack.  Can't buy another one.

I have a nearly 20-year-old Cabela's pack with two zipper pockets on the sides.  Came with the Buddy-lok system, which you can't find anymore.  I had a water bottle holder, GPS holder, and some other holder for it.  The water bottle holder just recently broke a tooth off of it and I cannot find a replacement.  Morale of the story: Don't buy gimmicky add-ons that require some awesome locking system that isn't generic.  Eventually it'll go out of style, and your add-ons will all start breaking.  However, the bag is freakin' awesome.  I put a 50# sack of corn inside it, tie another 25# of feed to the bottom of it, and haul all that crap into the woods.

Here is a sexy photo of me with all of that crap.

What I do like about the bag are the strap holes on the bottom.  I usually have a wool blanket rolled up there in the event I get stuck or cold.  It's an old, heavy wool military blanket.  Comes in handy when the weather gets crappy.

IMG_0012.jpg

I also bought an ALPS OutdoorZ Pathfinder pack.  This is a neat idea for a bag, but the execution could be better.  The large compartment can be rolled down and packed into the bag, making it a fanny pack with shoulder straps.  The bag rests on your hips, so it doesn't beat the crap out of your back.  The hip strap is nice as are the shoulder straps.  When the bag is extended, the large compartment clips to the top of the shoulder straps in the back.  It doesn't give it much stability, but it works.  I wouldn't put anything other than soft gear or food in there, because the shape isn't rigidly part of the bag like other backpacks.  However, there are two pieces of material that snap in the back, and the fanny pack has a pouch for the butt of a gun.  This is real nice when you want to go on a long trek with a gun and not have to carry it.  I've put my crossbow back there too, and it mostly works.  I have to tie some paracord to the bow and pack to keep it from moving around, but it works.

The fanny pack is nice, has a ton of pockets that make finding things easy.  More for storing gadgets than anything else.  There's also a mesh water bottle holder with an adjustable strap.  That's handy.  You can also get stuff like turkey call holders and binocular holders too.  I just got the binocular holders to do some scouting this summer as well at doing more outdoors photography.  Not a bad bag, it is my go-to bag for the woods, but I would have designed it differently if I could.

https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The last bag I have I got more for my motorcycle than hunting.  It's one of those knock-off military bags.  It was on sale someplace, I probably had a few homebrews in me, and it magically showed up at my door one day.  I haven't take it out yet, but it seems fairly well constructed.  I didn't get it from Amazon, it was one of those compulsive CamoFire deals.  It's pretty big, and you can store a lot of stuff in it, but it's not accessible; meaning it doesn't have convenient pockets near the front to unzip and grab stuff.  You'd have to take this pack off to get to some of your stuff.  This might be okay, but it's one of the nice things about the ALPS bag.  I can keep my phone, binos, bug spray, gum, water, etc. all on the belt for quick access.  This pack is designed to move a ton of gear.  So putting it on before a long bike ride (I often take the bike out on the weekends in the summer for all-day rides), it makes sense.  But there are better hunting bags out there.

https://www.amazon.c...al assault pack

But from now on I've stopped looking at bags.  I haven't found the perfect one yet, and I don't need to collect a bunch that aren't perfect.  But I'll keep my eyes out for one.  It would have to be like the ALPS with a lot of space, accessible pockets, the ability to carry my weapon on the back of it, and with a more rigid structure.  If the ALPS didn't roll up and the back compartment was a lot more rigid, it would be close to perfect.  It would also need bottom straps like the Cabelas bag so I could put a roll-up underneath it.  Oh, I also bought a 3L hydration bladder for the ALPS bag.  It has a hole at the top of the large compartment for the hose, and the large compartment has a place for it.  That'll come in handy during the summer.

US citizens have constitutionally protected rights - but they're only paper protections if they can't be freely exercised.

--BBC News

The right to revolt has sources deep in our history.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Ideas are indeed the most dangerous weapons in the world. Our ideas of freedom are the most powerful political weapons man has ever forged.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

#15 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 04:42 PM

HH im using a bag built just like the  ALPS under my catquiver 4

using those 2 packs I can carry everything I want in, but I want to fisn a pack that carrys that much stuff in a single bag  lol

I too have way too many packs, so hoping the next one is my next to last one lol

Bison Packs makes a little heavier version of your Cabelas pack , but they aren't making packs until after springtime

• Like x 1
  • List
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

#16 Male OFFLINE   stratocaster

stratocaster

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 05:26 PM

I need 4 liters of coke for an all day sit. At least 4 sandwiches . and LOTS of snacks .

Maybe Burger king will start a drone delivery service so they can drop a Whopper with a small chute right to your blind.  That would be cool. 

• Funny x 1
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#17 OFFLINE   06roadking

06roadking

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 05:29 PM

I’m a fan of Badlands packs. They have one to fit every need and their lifetime warranty is awesome. They don’t care if you bought it New or got it at a yard sale. If it breaks they will fix it or replace it. No questions asked. Good stuff.
  • Like x 2
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#18 Male ONLINE   Silver Belly62

Silver Belly62

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 05:54 PM

I have a badlands pursuit that i've been using for many years, been great so far

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#19 Male ONLINE   maximus66

maximus66

8 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 06:13 PM

Dan check out the Gonex military tactical packs. They carry alot and have an unbelievable amount of compartments. The best feature is the padded hard back with padded shoulder and waist strap. I have had 60lbs of gear in one and when adjusted right it carries great. The solid back keeps everything where it should be, it doesn’t collapse into a big mess. Oh and they are expandable per the mount of gear you need.

Edited by maximus66, 02/12/18 - 06:16 PM.

I've hunted with many a dog but never found one that would do it all until i met... The Boykin

#20 Male OFFLINE   Bone collector 85

Bone collector 85

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 06:16 PM

Dan check out the camelbak hawg pack ive used one for 6 years now have tied deer to it and hiked out tued stands blinds exc.. super tough packs
  • Like x 1
  • List
Theres more fun hunting with the handicap of a bow than the surness of a gun!The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users