• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Teamsters form "Sanctuary Union"

49 replies to this topic

#21 Male OFFLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 01:10 PM

Unions had and maybe still have their place, but they aren't as strong as they once was. Been a member of Policemen's Benevolent Association for 22.5 years, over these years they have become weaker, and weaker, once I retire I refuse to continue my membership with PBA Local 600 which for those that retire, they did nothing while I worked once I retire what the hell will they do for me?

I don't agree. There is no benefit we get from union labor theses days, but unnecessary cost. 

• Disturbing x 1
  • List

#22 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 01:30 PM

I don't agree. There is no benefit we get from union labor theses days, but unnecessary cost. 

That's BULLSHIT.

There is not enough of a qualified non union labor force to build what we do in a reasonable time frame.

Union Halls have an unlimited pool of skilled workers to move with the flow of a jobs time schedule, easily going from 1 to a 100 or more men with few glitches.

Their is no way a non union contractor can do that.

Its just not possible for them to train and carry the amount of manpower on a yearly basis.

we do all  kinds of split jobs , and while there are some very skilled non union workers , there aren't enough of them and they can never meet the demands set on larger projects.

we did a Job last fall for MM MARS. was supposed to be a 15 man job for 5 months.

Turned into a 4 man job for a year because they couldn't man the job enough with the other trades.

WE aren't building where America lives,we are building where they work.

where they manufacture , where they do research,, and store their critical data etc.

Today when you see a project such as Xanadu sit there not getting completed its not because of union workers.

Its due to the only non union part of the job the engineers and architects whose drawings suck or aren't complete.

Design build jobs by union contractors fly..

Love the guys who bash unions and don't truelly understand shit about them.

Trade Unions are nothing like other unions .and shouldn't be compared to them

• Agree x 2
  • Like x 1
  • List
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING
www.njfishingcharters.net

#23 Male OFFLINE   1957Buck

1957Buck

1975Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 01:36 PM

HA !! Looks like a Union Memeber found my post disturbing.

Not disturbing just Funny. being from a family of Union Members and my Grandfather being Founding Father  and  Charter member of Local 10 Sheetmetal NJ Followed by my Father Then myself for 16 yeras. Before I joined Local UAW 595 linden GM Plant where I Retired after 36 years. as a Millwright and serving as As. Aprentice Rep.for 4 of those years.  I receive Retierment Checks from Both, Benifits from UAW Medical Trust BCBS add Medicare A & B.

Am I Pro Union YES I and family sure did good by them. Are there Good bad indiferant unions yes I saw bad in the 2 I was in over the years. 

Unions once had the respect of Building America Wages and conditions were improved as a Direct result of Unions if you wre in them or not.

There are Closded minds that CRY all unions are bad They ruined the country they are loosing membership only out for the Money. Yes true in some cases But Industry in America Ruined America along with the unions. The Strongest Survied UAW being a Surviver. Building Trades amoung the loosers. I could go on & on with this but the vast Majarorty are Non Union today and never had or belonged to a Union But The Lines to get into unions are growing in certain unions not all. 

Might add the biggest Cry babies are the ones who tried and could not get into any union or had to deal directly with a union to a Deal . 

And as BHC put it Unions had or maybe still have their place. But time will tell. 

• Agree x 1
  • List

#24 Male OFFLINE   _X7

_X7

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 01:42 PM

Unions today keep the boot on wages for those not in one. Most wouldn't have many of the benefits like vacation and sick time without unions. However, it is the money they make in comparison to the average everyday non-union worker. Everyone, union or not, pays the price for manufactured goods and services to keep that union wage high.

• Like x 1
  • List

#25 Male OFFLINE   Stewey

Stewey

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 01:42 PM

Unions are good for some people and not others. But to bad mouth union's as a whole, I think you need to get your head out of your ass and take your blinders off
  • Agree x 2
  • List

#26 Male OFFLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 02:03 PM

That's BULLSHIT.

There is not enough of a qualified non union labor force to build what we do in a reasonable time frame.

Union Halls have an unlimited pool of skilled workers to move with the flow of a jobs time schedule, easily going from 1 to a 100 or more men with few glitches.

Its just not possible for them to train and carry the amount of manpower on a yearly basis.

we do all  kinds of split jobs , and while there are some very skilled non union workers , there aren't enough of them and they can never meet the demands set on larger projects.

we did a Job last fall for MM MARS. was supposed to be a 15 man job for 5 months.

Turned into a 4 man job for a year because they couldn't man the job enough with the other trades.

where they manufacture , where they do research,, and store their critical data etc.

Today when you see a project such as Xanadu sit there not getting completed its not because of union workers.

Its due to the only non union part of the job the engineers and architects whose drawings suck or aren't complete.

If you take away unionized government workers, the union work force stands at about 10% of our labor force. Who is doing all the work in this country if you say only union workers can do it? Who?

I live in union environment for almost 30 years now. I am in unique position to watch both union and none union contractors work side by side and I can assure you the non-union workers outwork their counter parts by a mile.

If what you say above was true:

"There is not enough of a qualified non union labor force to build what we do in a reasonable time frame.

Its just not possible for them to train and carry the amount of manpower on a yearly basis."

then unions would have no problems competing with non-union contractors. Yet they refuse to do that,,...Why? The reason is the non-union contractors can do it faster for less money and that's a fact.

I will tell you one more thing. Unions kill jobs in America. In NJ we pay almost $80/hr for a non-skilled union laborer. How many willing Americans could you hire on open market and how many more miles of road could we built or fix if we just let people compete for their jobs?

Again, if any of what you say was true, unions would allow other Americans to compete for their jobs, and they don't.

• Funny x 1
  • Dislike x 1
  • List

#27 Male OFFLINE   1957Buck

1957Buck

1975Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 02:12 PM

Unions today keep the boot on wages for those not in one. Most wouldn't have many of the benefits like vacation and sick time without unions. However, it is the money they make in comparison to the average everyday non-union worker. Everyone, union or not, pays the price for manufactured goods and services to keep that union wage high.

Very true The differance in compensation varies but are matched in many areas such as the Transplanted Auto manufactuers who resist Unions by paying Just slightly below UAW wages.    FUI the wages paid to Uaw workers are the same accross the board ( US ) be it in High cost North or low cost South.  what would you rather do get payed $30 in Nj or Texas Plants in the north closed do to Taxes Restrictions in otther words Higher coast of Living and doing Busseness. GM Delaware survives one reason GM is incorporated there and Lower taxes . 

#28 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 02:13 PM

If you take away unionized government workers, the union work force stands at about 10% of our labor force. Who is doing all the work in this country if you say only union workers can do it? Who?

I live in union environment for almost 30 years now. I am in unique position to watch both union and none union contractors work side by side and I can assure you the non-union workers outwork their counter parts by a mile.

If what you say above was true:

"There is not enough of a qualified non union labor force to build what we do in a reasonable time frame.

Its just not possible for them to train and carry the amount of manpower on a yearly basis."

then unions would have no problems competing with non-union contractors. Yet they refuse to do that,,...Why? The reason is the non-union contractors can do it faster for less money and that's a fact.

I will tell you one more thing. Unions kill jobs in America. In NJ we pay almost $80/hr for a non-skilled union laborer. How many willing Americans could you hire on open market and how many more miles of road could we built or fix if we just let people compete for their jobs?

Again, if any of what you say was true, unions would allow other Americans to compete for their jobs, and they don't.

we aren't trying to compete on the smaller work. A hiring hall isn't necessary for them.

right now to man a big job all it takes is a phone call to fill a 50 man job.

at todays pace of jobs being built you couldn't find 50 qualified electricians in the time frame they want the job built.

I have currently run over 190 million dollars worth of electrical projects, and can tell you there is NO WAY we can be competed against, both cost wise and speed wise.

this week we will start a data center for Bloomburg, job was bid last week.

awarded this week, and needs to be completed turn key by the first week in MAY.

you couldn't find qualified help in that time frame let alone build it.

the hourly amount your stating is what is costs the contractor to pay the man, pay his health benefits, pay his retirement as well as their profit. Total package

If your not making that much, you should join a union instead of bashing one, as I make a hell of a lot more than that.

REMEMBER a union tradesman gets no vacation, no sick days , no holiday pay ( unless your a foreman) .

you only get paid the days you work . 

I have to know how to work on every type of electrical system from 10 volts to 35000 volts.

Your not going to find many guys with that experience unless your hiring from a skilled labor hall

and as far as competing for our jobs, they do it on a daily basis. The  non union boss makes 3 times what my boss does while paying his worker 25% of what I make.

Unions spread the wealth around to all those working, not just to the owner of the company.

Edited by hammer4reel, 02/12/18 - 02:22 PM.

Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

#29 Male OFFLINE   Huntingdude

Huntingdude

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 02:15 PM

My union paycheck and benefits are pretty strong, sorry some guys don't make what they deserve!!!
  • Winner x 1
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#30 Male OFFLINE   Stewey

Stewey

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 02:19 PM

So I guess NON UNION workers that make prevailing wage are no good either. Overpaid ? Same money as a union man . Unless there boss dosent pay them the right rate and rob them like most of them do
  • Agree x 2
  • List

#31 Male OFFLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 02:23 PM

we aren't trying to compete on the smaller work. A hiring hall isn't necessary for them.

right now to man a big job all it takes is a phone call to fill a 50 man job.

at todays pace of jobs being built you couldn't find 50 qualified electricians in the time frame they want the job built.

I have currently run over 190 million dollars worth of electrical projects, and can tell you there is NO WAY we can be competed against, both cost wise and speed wise.

this week we will start a data center for Bloomburg, job was bid last week.

awarded this week, and needs to be completed turn key by the first week in MAY.

you couldn't find qualified help in that time frame let alone build it.

the hourly amount your stating is what is costs the contractor to pay the man, pay his health benefits, pay his retirement as well as their profit. Total package

If your not making that much, you should join a union instead of bashing one, as I make a hell of a lot more than that.

I have to know how to work on every type of electrical system from 10 volts to 35000 volts.

Your not going to find many guys with that experience unless your hiring from a skilled labor hall

and as far as competing for our jobs, they do it on a daily basis. The  non union boss makes 3 times what my boss does while paying his worker 25% of what I make.

Unions spread the wealth around to all those working, not just to the owner of the company.

All nice but again, if all that you said in the original  post, and in this last one, was true then why do Unions refuse to compete? Don't picket non-union contractors, just compete fairly with other Americans instead of denying their right to work.

You are telling me only unions can fill the job with qualified workers and only unions can provide enough workers, only unions can get it done,  then why not say bring it on America? We will no longer deny the 90% of American work force the ability to apply for work because we know we can survive on our ability, knowledge and work ethics.

Edited by Lunatic, 02/12/18 - 02:25 PM.

• Disturbing x 1
  • Funny x 1
  • List

#32 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 02:28 PM

All nice but again, if all that you said in the original  post, and in this last one, was true then why do Unions refuse to compete? Don't picket non-union contractors, just compete fairly with other Americans instead of denying their right to work.

You are telling me only unions can fill the job with qualified workers and only unions can provide enough workers, only unions can get it done,  then why not say bring it on America? We will no longer deny the 90% of American work force the ability to apply for work because we know we can survive on our ability, knowledge and work ethics.

then guys like you sitting at a desk playing on the computer while you should be working ,would want them to work 7 days a week without paying them  overtime.

They make you the money busting their back , while you sit there bashing them  .

Our work ethics do shine, that's why we only do the prime work now.

Not enough of us to do all the rest of the smaller jobs 

we picket jobs because the non union employer isn't paying FAIR wages, not because a non union worker is doing the job

Edited by hammer4reel, 02/12/18 - 02:29 PM.

• Agree x 2
  • Like x 1
  • List
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

#33 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 02:34 PM

looney, put an add is todays paper. you need 75 qualified electricans tomorrow.

need to know Fire alarm systems, 35 K splicing.

Switchgear wiring, PDU wiring, security, Data terminations.

Conduit bending to 5" low voltage lighting ETC.

If you can hire 5 of those 75 tomorrow I will pay for the add.

Otherwise I will just call the HALL tonight, and see all 75 of  them in the morning 

• Agree x 2
  • Like x 1
  • List
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

#34 Male OFFLINE   1957Buck

1957Buck

1975Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 02:36 PM

That's BULLSHIT.

Thank you could not say it any better.   The part of Engeneers and Architects Suck rings so true to day but not so much in the past.  One only has to look at the State County Federal prodjects Underway in NJ From Widening a Road Building a Bridge improving a Pier in a County park. Not to leave out Beach Repleshment Re- Engnerring.  One olny has to look at the Failed improvements since Sandy the Wasted Money on AGAIN Engeneering managment. But their Failuars are always blamed on The Union Workers But if for once they took a step back at How they Caused delays and cost overruns But they can not think beyound that. 

If any problems understanding my misspelling or grammar PRESS 1 For English. My Spell Grammar check is not working have to do a reinstall  :headscratch:

• Like x 1
  • List

#35 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 02:52 PM

Looney when they come to the job interview they need to bring the following.
Proof of passing a certified journey wiremans exam
Osha 30 certification
Splicing certification
Lift training
Confined space training
Substation awareness
Simplex certification.

​NPF70E certification
Current I9 form and appropriate credentials

TWIC

Lull and lift training are a bonus

The rest we can do on the job

Edited by hammer4reel, 02/12/18 - 03:26 PM.

Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

#36 Male OFFLINE   1957Buck

1957Buck

1975Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 02:59 PM

we picket jobs because the non union employer isn't paying FAIR wages, not because a non union worker is doing the job

Telling that to someone with No background of paying a living wage for a days work is spinning your wheels. 

Scab Contractors would rather hire someone under the table low pay no benifits get hurt on the job Tuff Shi*  Yes there are Hard Working people out there but not as Skilled or Dependable let alone speak English Have Legal Stutus Drivers Lic. or Insurance.  

I have an excuse for being on the computer most of the day I AM RETIRED not posting on someone elses Dime 

Plus my work in my office involves helping Vetearns getting benifits and Help where and when needed.  With 4 computers on and help at times Voluntarly 

Any Veteran that needs help with Benifits - Records  - just ask or PM me.  

Attached Images

• Office #3.jpg
  • Office Collage.jpg
  • Office #4.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck, 02/12/18 - 03:01 PM.

• Winner x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#37 Male OFFLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 03:22 PM

Looney when they come to the job interview they need to bring the following.
Proof of passing a certified journey wiremans exam
Osha 30 certification
Splicing certification
Lift training
Confined space training
Substation awareness
Simplex certification.
Current I9 form and appropriate credentials

The rest we can do on the job

I withdraw all my comments. This is not a venue to get into this type of discussion.

• Funny x 1
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#38 Male OFFLINE   stratocaster

stratocaster

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 03:40 PM

That's BULLSHIT.

The original post was regarding Teamsters and sanctuary unions.   If unions and the democrat party are supposed to help, protect, enhance etc..workers, wages etc.. why are they so interested in illegal immigrants?  American citizens are the ones who are the members of the unions and pay the taxes and there are a lot of people who followed the laws and are waiting their turn to become citizens as opposed to people who want to be put at the head of the line simply because they feel they should be.  What is the unions defense for that policy?

#39 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 03:56 PM

The original post was regarding Teamsters and sanctuary unions.   If unions and the democrat party are supposed to help, protect, enhance etc..workers, wages etc.. why are they so interested in illegal immigrants?  American citizens are the ones who are the members of the unions and pay the taxes and there are a lot of people who followed the laws and are waiting their turn to become citizens as opposed to people who want to be put at the head of the line simply because they feel they should be.  What is the unions defense for that policy?

The TEAMSTERS local backed this NOT the rest of the Trades unions.

why should we be lumped into it ??

Unions used to back  the Democrats because they created more work for us.

A Unions job was to keep you  working,, not to worry about the life style you wanted to live>

That's a thing of the past as since more unions have been backing Republicans the Democrats are pushing the illegal agenda hard looking to keep their cushy Political jobs

Bigger ? is why you even think that what a Democratic politicians agenda is  due to what a Union worker might say.

Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

#40 Male OFFLINE   stratocaster

stratocaster

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 02/12/18 - 04:29 PM

The TEAMSTERS local backed this NOT the rest of the Trades unions.

why should we be lumped into it ??

Unions used to back  the Democrats because they created more work for us.

A Unions job was to keep you  working,, not to worry about the life style you wanted to live>

That's a thing of the past as since more unions have been backing Republicans the Democrats are pushing the illegal agenda hard looking to keep their cushy Political jobs

Bigger ? is why you even think that what a Democratic politicians agenda is  due to what a Union worker might say.

I'm not lumping all unions into it.  But how is possible that the TEAMSTERS National office did not give them approval for this and does not back it?  You may not have all the answers and I don't expect you to speak for the IBEW or anyone else, but I can't see how it's not a coordinated effort from the top. And this was from IBEW  in 2016.

International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers President Lonnie R. Stephenson issued the following statement endorsing Hillary Clinton for President.

“The choice America faces this November is now clear. As senator, Hillary Clinton has stood with us and the labor movement more than 90 percent of time, from opposing right-to-work laws to supporting federal project labor agreements. Secretary Clinton has vowed to invest in our industrial and energy infrastructure and push for stronger enforcement of labor law, including cracking down on wage theft that is all too common in the construction industry

The construction industry is the one of the largest employers of illegals yet the democrats want more illegal immigration and fight the crackdown on illegal workers and the IBEW supported HRC???

From WIKI:

The Teamsters Union is one of the largest labor unions in the world, as well as the 11th largest campaign contributor in the United States.

While they supported Republicans Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush for President in the 1980s, they have begun leaning largely toward the Democrats in recent years; they have donated 92% of their $24,418,589 in contributions since 1990 to the Democratic Party. 

These are the divisions:

• Airline Division
  • Bakery and Laundry Conference
  • Brewery and Soft Drink Conference
  • Building Material and Construction Trade Division
  • Carhaul Division
  • Dairy Conference
  • Express Division
  • Freight Division
  • Graphic Communications Conference
  • Industrial Trade Division
  • Motion Picture and Theatrical Trade Division