IGNORED

How can NJDFW Improve Pheasant Hunting

trader979

Speaking and understanding English should be a requirement to buy a pheasant stamp.

You are dreaming. Without a word in English they get more from our government that the English speaking citizens of this country. In fact the citizens are nothing more than cash cows to them.

My pal flushed wild pheasants in Lyndhurst last wk, the habitat on WMAs needs to be more like up near meadowlands to be suitable for pheasants, large field type cover, which is i say stop the farmers from using our fields and let the fields grow into early successional habitat, thereby doubling the size of huntable habitat on some WMAs

There are indeed wild pheasants there!

Irish Potato Famine - White Privilege 

Releasing them in the morning would create a situation where people would be waiting for them as they released them, unless you had a delayed start time.

The one big reason you won't see a a wild pheasant program here in NJ is you just don't have enough dedicated people willing to make it happen. 

Edited by Mink

I'm sure pheasant stocking is doomed now that I got a pup. Round Valley trout fishing was unbelievable for years, I finally got a boat and it dropped to average. I waited to long and now I guess I've doomed something else!

Not doomed, farmed out to a few pheasant raising locations that are better suited than is our state government at raising birds.  All the employees would retain their jobs because the Division is down something like 50+ positions.  It might happen soon and for sound financial reasons, but stocking would continue.  

Not doomed, farmed out to a few pheasant raising locations that are better suited than is our state government at raising birds.  All the employees would retain their jobs because the Division is down something like 50+ positions.  It might happen soon and for sound financial reasons, but stocking would continue.  

Who would do the actual stocking? 

My pal flushed wild pheasants in Lyndhurst last wk, the habitat on WMAs needs to be more like up near meadowlands to be suitable for pheasants, large field type cover, which is i say stop the farmers from using our fields and let the fields grow into early successional habitat, thereby doubling the size of huntable habitat on some WMAs

Some 40 years ago I lived in Rahway  :down:  The Medows around the state prsion held hundreds of Pheasants as those in Carteret  i lved in Union that had many areas that held them. They as todays Turkeys thrive in Rural areas less Preditors could be one reason. No Hunting one other

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Maybe throw a few plucked, packaged and frozen birds out, like a scavenger hunt.

Some 40 years ago I lived in Rahway  :down:  The Medows around the state prsion held hundreds of Pheasants as those in Carteret  i lved in Union that had many areas that held them. They as todays Turkeys thrive in Rural areas less Preditors could be one reason. No Hunting one other

My Dad was born and raised in Moonachie.  As a kid in the 1930's he pheasant hunted the meadows right down the road from his house.  It was quite a huge  cattail marsh back then.   Of course they have built on a lot of it now.

Who would do the actual stocking? 

Whomever is doing the stocking now, at least in southern NJ where the Division has been buying adult birds from a local supplier already versus driving them down from Rockport.  I assume the local supplier(s) bring them to some Division site and Division employees stock from there, but I do not know myself how they are doing it.  

Whomever is doing the stocking now, at least in southern NJ where the Division has been buying adult birds from a local supplier already versus driving them down from Rockport.  I assume the local supplier(s) bring them to some Division site and Division employees stock from there, but I do not know myself how they are doing it.

That's interesting......now we know why there is spotty releases.

If the habitat of large fields of ragweed, goldenrod, Indian grass, etc, basically early sucessional habitat, offering a stem density of say, 10-15 per square ft, which conceals them but also allows them to run through it, which they prefer running to flying, you would be finding pheasants throughout the season more often and even into January n February.

Make the stamp a season stamp that doesn’t end on dec 31. Re plant the fields and encourage better habitat. Get rid of the four wheelers.

so basically deer hunting in some wmas are shot to hell in zones with extended deer season that had stocked pheasants......im totally against sunday gun hunting for pheasant and small game as was suggested on here, on some WMAS sunday was the only day you get a break from guys running dogs all damn day.