IGNORED

Stream Wader Help

I lost a pair of wading boots off the back of my truck last spring and am looking to start buying up some of the supplies for this trout season. I received the boots as a present a few years back but before I purchase my own I was curious....

1) Do you try and buy a size bigger then you would actually buy as a shoe size?

2) The velcro on one of the shoulder straps is shot. Have any of you ever replaced the velcro or found a "hack" that would solve the shoulder strap problem....

3) If I had to buy new boots do you like those with shoes or where the boot and wader are one unit?

BTW. I am a size 13 if anyone has any good/servicable quality used waders they are selling. Let me know.

The general rule of thumb is to go with your normal foot size if buying bootfoot waders and to go up one size if buying stockingfoot waders where the boots are separate.  Bootfoots are less expensive and great for saltwater as sand can't get in them, but they lack the ankle support of stockingfoot waders with wading boots.  I own both and only use bootfoots to fish the surf as ankle support is a non-issue walking in sand.     

With waders like most hunting/fishing equipment you get what you pay for. I've owned Simms, LL Bean, and a few off brand (Cabelas ect.) and in my experience out of the gate they all perform the same. It's after that first season where you really start to see the differences. Off brand will start to develop leaks within the first season, Beans usually last 2-3 year and Simms are damn near indestructible. After that it comes down to warranty Bean is the best in the game but I have a tough time returning gear that's been through 3 years of abuse, but that's a moral issue on my part. Simms is also fantastic but does charge a fair price for repairs after the first year.

Sure Simms/Bean might be way more expensive up front but on a per year basis its far cheaper than buying and replacing waders every year.

Now to answer your questions

1) I always get 1 boot size up because i have wide feet and like the extra room. Everyone's feet are different so I recommend trying multiple boots on to see which feels most comfortable.

2) You can buy new Velcro online and sew it into the shoulder strap. You don't have to be a seamstress to do it and you wouldn't be punching holes in any important part of the waders

3) I Agree with bucksnbows stockingfoot (separate boots) for stream fishing, bootfoot (All connected) for surf. If you can only get one pair and plan to do any fishing in the surf go with bootfoot nothing is more miserable than walking down the beach with an extra 5lb of sand in each boot

With waders like most hunting/fishing equipment you get what you pay for. I've owned Simms, LL Bean, and a few off brand (Cabelas ect.) and in my experience out of the gate they all perform the same. It's after that first season where you really start to see the differences. Off brand will start to develop leaks within the first season, Beans usually last 2-3 year and Simms are damn near indestructible. After that it comes down to warranty Bean is the best in the game but I have a tough time returning gear that's been through 3 years of abuse, but that's a moral issue on my part. Simms is also fantastic but does charge a fair price for repairs after the first year.

Sure Simms/Bean might be way more expensive up front but on a per year basis its far cheaper than buying and replacing waders every year.

Now to answer your questions

1) I always get 1 boot size up because i have wide feet and like the extra room. Everyone's feet are different so I recommend trying multiple boots on to see which feels most comfortable.

2) You can buy new Velcro online and sew it into the shoulder strap. You don't have to be a seamstress to do it and you wouldn't be punching holes in any important part of the waders

3) I Agree with bucksnbows stockingfoot (separate boots) for stream fishing, bootfoot (All connected) for surf. If you can only get one pair and plan to do any fishing in the surf go with bootfoot nothing is more miserable than walking down the beach with an extra 5lb of sand in each boot

I agree.  I have been wearing Simms the last maybe 15 years and they outlast all others I have owned over the many years before them.  Your usage determines their life expectancy.  If you fish once a week or less, a pair of the higher end Simms will last you decades.  But if you're like me and wear them to guide, fish and to work in at least 5 days/week, then 3.5 to 4.5 years is about the extent of their lifetime before they need to be replaced. But that is just like anything else we buy.  A cheap pair of waders wouldn't last me 6 months some years based on my use.        

No Contest Simms Stockingfoot Waders with Simms Boots and Simms Gravel Guards.  Optional Felt or hard Sole. Some states banned Felt. I have had a pair of Simms Guide Style Felt Sole some 15 years Used from Alaska to Atlantic Surf Fishing, 38-degree waters to 80. Dress properly. The option of Studs I sidetracked using Coorkers.  The complaint of getting sand in the boots is mute with the Gravel Guards. The weight of Neoprene or Boot foot is not worth the going Cheap. 

On an Alaska Trip, my son's Waders a small cut showed up Stopped inThe Fly shop on The Eagle River on way to Homer and they just gave him a new Pair and an apology. 

I would never go with any other. The only thing that can become an issue is the Wet Boots in Cold freezing conditions hard time to dry out indoors let alone the added Wt in carrying on Only on The Plane. 

I washdown after every use hang upsidedown boot hanger can be homemade. This is a very important step to store them more damage is done by folding ti store them

gravel-guard-charcoal-fishing-gear (1).jpg

IMG_1824.JPG

product_0.19126700 1394390164SingleWader.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

I agree.  I have been wearing Simms the last maybe 15 years and they outlast all others I have owned over the many years before them.  Your usage determines their life expectancy.  If you fish once a week or less, a pair of the higher end Simms will last you decades.  But if you're like me and wear them to guide, fish and to work in at least 5 days/week, then 3.5 to 4.5 years is about the extent of their lifetime before they need to be replaced. But that is just like anything else we buy.  A cheap pair of waders wouldn't last me 6 months some years based on my use.        

and, a big part of the uncomfortably factor for me, size 13 street shoe, is the tightness of the neoprene booty. When I wore out the booties on my Simms waders I had them sew in a pair of exlarge booties and my life is now nirvana. I've been running them with Korkers size 14, (I've also had a pair of Korkers in 15 and they were fine), sometimes the large sizes are easier to find than the "normal" sizes

without me, my rifle is nothing

Waders are only as good as you care and store them. The best pair of waders won’t last if you don’t take care of them.

Very true.  Never leave them rolled up and wet, and they actually need to be washed on occasion to keep the breathable materials working which is something few seem to know. 

My pet peeve with those that complain they have small leaks in their waders is that most of that is due to walking through things like multi flora rose which will give a tiny pin prick which will show as a small wet spot on whatever you are wearing beneath your waders.  Too many folks send their waders back thinking it is a manufacturing defect when it is operator error.  Just find the general area with the small hole, put some rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab or cotton ball, and rub it over the area on the inside of your waders.  When you see a small dot of darker color, that is your little tiny leak.  Just place a small drop of AquaSeal on it and let that dry overnight.  Problem solved.  That is the same method the manufacturer uses to find and fix your leaks. 

The reason $50 waders cost $400 is because of the warranty work always being done for things other than a manufacturing issue.      

If you go the rubber soled route I have also found that the studs sold by the big manufatures are a total ripoff. A friend of mine introduced me to ATV tire traction screws a few years back. They work like a charm on slippery rocks and its about $20 for a few hundred.  I have attached the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008N6AQXO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for preventing pinhole leaks I wear these when I know i am going to be walking through thick stuff. They do a great job protecting your waders and will save your shins/knees if you take a tumble while wading for only a small amount of extra weight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QCBKJC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been fishing that setup with simms waders and boots 3-4 times a week for the last 3 years and haven't had any problems

If you go the rubber soled route I have also found that the studs sold by the big manufatures are a total ripoff. A friend of mine introduced me to ATV tire traction screws a few years back. They work like a charm on slippery rocks and its about $20 for a few hundred.  I have attached the link below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008N6AQXO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those cleats are among the highest margin items in the industry.  It's crazy what they charge for them in fly shops!  Like you said, you can find much cheaper alternatives out there.  

Cheaper alternatives to Carbon spikes From Walmart 

I use a Pair I got at Costco around $14, I used to use Cokers but found these to be easier and do the Job for a lot less $$$$$$ 

Not to forget Spikes are not always needed so these over my felt Soles do the job. 

3255c805-58a4-4fdf-b499-159d3ce9bc0f_1.e3797f64cedea70276b4d15094e4d0f3.jpeg

6140627d-5ece-4198-8970-aa7a03eb62d1_1.88bd719abd8c4f69a78000bb5324e8e6.jpeg

c104b153-821d-4435-a820-7262ded00ec5_1.dd481e3e5b0af52f5ddf2781eed71935.jpeg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif