IGNORED

Fox with serious mange.

I'm not a trapper but I know something about foxes and when they are active.  I just saw a big fox in my yard with 1/2 his fur missing.  No bushy tail at all and not moving fast at all.  I saw him out and about at 4pm in the open.  

Don't know if he has rabies.   What is the best course of action if I see him again?  

Houses with 1 acre +/- some patches of woods 5 acres-10 acres. Stream bottoms. Why would that make a difference? Sorry for the ignorance.

I’d just put it out with a bow. Yea not legal or whatever but you’ll probably get the run around if you call someone. Plus if he does have rabies or is carrying something and there’s kids/pets in the neighborhood, I wouldn’t take the chance of having him run around the yards. Edited by Tbryant

Houses with 1 acre +/- some patches of woods 5 acres-10 acres.  Stream bottoms.  Why would that make a difference?  Sorry for the ignorance. 

I think he's asking to see if you are surrounded by anti's that would report you if they hear a shotgun blast out your back door :)

IMO, if you have a rabid fox running around, coming up to your wife while she's by your house door, there's only one course of action - take it out. Nothing to play around with when you have rabid animals in the neighborhood. Back in the day, no one would question this course of action.

Leave it be, it will run away. If it has mange it will curl up in a ball in the woods and die on its own. At 16 pounds tops, it shouldn't be that much of a threat

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Leave it be, it will run away. If it has mange it will curl up in a ball in the woods and die on its own. At 16 pounds tops, it shouldn't be that much of a threat

Now there's some bad advice. At 16 pounds it shouldn't be that much of a threat, really. A bite from a rabid bat weighing a couple ozs will kill you if untreated

Now there's some bad advice. At 16 pounds it shouldn't be that much of a threat, really. A bite from a rabid bat weighing a couple ozs will kill you if iuntreated

It's a fox, not a Bull Mastiff

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

If you shoot it, don't tell a soul.  I shot a skunk a couple of years back that was staggering across my lawn around noon time.  Rabies were prevalent in the area among coons and skunks.  i called the township (Toms River) and told them I had just shot what I believed was a rabid skunk and asked if they would like to examine it.  Mistake!!!!  They told me I was out of touch with the times and that they could come and confiscate all my guns.  ( I shot the skunk with a pellet gun)  They had no interest in checking it for rabies.  I disposed of it deep in the pines.  Next time it will be down and out and gone. Be careful what you do!!!!!!!!