IGNORED

Broadhead Cutting Width(Update)

Nomad

Here is my experience. Excalibur matrix 380, WASP drone 100 grain heads 1 1/8 inch cut 3 fixed blades. 30 yard shots, moderate downward angle, exit is clearly lower. All double lung broadside, right behind front leg. 10 deer over past 3 seasons, all down and dead in 20 to 50 yards. Only issue is very small to almost no blood trail. Thinking back, the best trails are in the early season. My theory is the Winter fat plugs the exit hole. All the blood stays in the deer.

I notice that they are the same width as the Boltcutters, but have 4 blades.  

They are 1 1/8, which is only 1/16 wider, but the extra width and 4 blades seems to make a big difference.  Standard 3 blade heads like muzzy are 1 3/16 but seem to leave a much better blood trail.  That extra width must be enough to make a difference.  

Or it could be the design of the boltcutters, who knows???  

They are 1 1/8, which is only 1/16 wider, but the extra width and 4 blades seems to make a big difference.  Standard 3 blade heads like muzzy are 1 3/16 but seem to leave a much better blood trail.  That extra width must be enough to make a difference.  

Or it could be the design of the boltcutters, who knows???  

I may go with those slick tricks.  I also like the fact that with my setup I could probably blast thru bone if I hit it.   I may buy some of those 150 grain Swhacker's also to try.

Edited by Nomad

I may go with those slick tricks.  I also like the fact that with my setup I could probably blast thru bone if I hit it.   I may buy some of those 150 grain Swhacker's also to try.

A buddy of mine shoots heavy bolts and 150 grain heads.  He hunts in a residential area and he intentionally waits for a quartering towards him shot.  He blows through the shoulder and down through the lungs and always gets a pass through.  Needless to say, the deer don't go far with that kind of shock.  

The shoulder "blade" is fairly thin and brittle. Any arrow with 70 lbs of KE will go through it. That would be most any adult compound or crossbow. The danger of this shot is if it hits the shoulder "bone", the results may not be as good. A buddy of mine hit a buck in the "shoulder" at 15 yds with his Parker Tornado and "Red Hot" fixed blade broadheads. No blood, no penetration. Deer was shot weeks later during gun season. Spine hits, frontal shots, shoulder shots, quartering towards are all low percentage shots but when they work, yield great results. . I say this in comparison to a broadside or slightly quartering away angle. All shots have a error factor. The larger the target area is, the lower the percentage of error is. We can debate the efficacy of different broadheads all day and it is only as good as our individual experiences and it is not "scientific". Generally speaking, you would want to use the "largest" diameter head that your set up can easily get a pass thru on a broadside, double lung shot. The head must be durable as well as large diameter. A wider cutting surface can't hurt. The OP asked if a larger head will yield better results and I stick to my original post that "NO", I have not concluded that yet but it may have a slight advantage rather than disadvantage. I would not throw away your broadheads looking for the :magic bullet". There is none.

Edited by archer36

in all seriousness, although I don't shoot a xbow,if I did - this 150gr head to me, would be the "last word" in crossbow heads.  It's not designed for a crossbow, but based on it's little 125gr brothers performance, I can't imagine this not being the holy grail of xbow heads..  You could not possibly damage it, you can sharpen and hone yourself, practice with it over and over again. and put it through a deer at any angle. I think you could put it through 3 deer at any angle.

http://www.broadheadbarn.com/vpa-3-blade-non-vented-150-grn/

For a replaceable blade fixed head in 150gr, look at this wac'em... Much bigger cut at 1 1/4".... 

http://www.broadheadbarn.com/wacem-primitive-fixed-2-blade-150grn/

I just stumbled onto this "Broadhead Barn" site - really good prices on a lot of the heads...

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

in all seriousness, although I don't shoot a xbow,if I did - this 150gr head to me, would be the "last word" in crossbow heads.  It's not designed for a crossbow, but based on it's little 125gr brothers performance, I can't imagine this not being the holy grail of xbow heads..  You could not possibly damage it, you can sharpen and hone yourself, practice with it over and over again. and put it through a deer at any angle. I think you could put it through 3 deer at any angle.

For a replaceable blade fixed head in 150gr, look at this wac'em... Much bigger cut at 1 1/4".... 

I just stumbled onto this "Broadhead Barn" site - really good prices on a lot of the heads...

The weight of the head doesn't really determine lethality does it? You can get the same head in many weights but they have the exact specs in term of cutting diameter. Different head weights are used to effect FOC (front of center), not cutting lethality.

The weight of the head doesn't really determine lethality does it? You can get the same head in many weights but they have the exact specs in term of cutting diameter. Different head weights are used to effect FOC (front of center), not cutting lethality.

Not that I am aware of it.  More weight generally increases penetration, and with those VPAs, the 100, 125, and that 150 I listed are pretty much same design, but the 150 has more "metal" possibly in ferule or thicker blades. I know the 125 is virtually indestructible, so the 150 must be even more...

I shot a big 10pt once….

Not that I am aware of it.  More weight generally increases penetration, and with those VPAs, the 100, 125, and that 150 I listed are pretty much same design, but the 150 has more "metal" possibly in ferule or thicker blades. I know the 125 is virtually indestructible, so the 150 must be even more...

Well we both are saying the same thing in different ways. A head is one way of increasing arrow weight to improve penetration. The other ways are a heavier GPI (grains per inch) and heavier insert. The head balances it all out to achieve the proper FOC. 

Excalibur recommends the use of a 150 grain head with my 18 inch Excalibur arrows.  I wonder how much difference going to a 125 grain head would make?  There is a much bigger selection of 125's.   I am thinking it wouldn't make much difference.

Excalibur recommends the use of a 150 grain head with my 18 inch Excalibur arrows.  I wonder how much difference going to a 125 grain head would make?  There is a much bigger selection of 125's.   I am thinking it wouldn't make much difference.

you can get screw in weights that go on back of your inserts. Put a field point in your bolt, heat it up with a cigar torch, pull it out with pliers, screw in the weight, and put the insert back. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

the arrows are going to be too stiff with a 125 grain head. The 18" bolts are stiff.

your also going to lower the total bolt weight by 25 grains , and they already are on the light side ( most Xbows are already shooting 20"-22" which are 18-36 grains heavier)

They are using the point weight to make up the difference so your not dry firing the bow

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

VPA heads SUCK for use with brass inserts ( and most good bolts are using brass inserts), only reason I'm not shooting them from my trad bows.

Their thread length on the heads doesn't meet AMO standards.

while they seem pretty secure in aluminum inserts, they too easily strip the brass threads right out of the inserts  when you try and snug them up.

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Those hybrid style heads are great shooting heads. Grim reaper makes a nice one. Bloodsport archery makes the gravedigger heads that people really seem to love.

There is a group of guys on Archerytalk that have been building them from scratch way longer than any company has been making them.

I've been tempted to set up some arrows and build some frankenheads to see how they fly from my compound