IGNORED

Crazy Boating Accident

BowhunterNJ

I could imagine the fear of those people jumping overboard to save themselves.

I had a couple encounters that could have ended badly. Once down on Spruce Run in my kayak. Guy in a rental who was whooping it up in Spanish doing circles at full throttle. Orange flag up and all. He saw me at the last second and veered off. I think he apologized...couldn't tell.

Another time was much like the video with a big boat in a big hurry bearing down on us. Fortunately, the guy turned off but made a wake that darn near threw us out f the 26 foot Baha Cruiser we were in.

75 year old, allegedly distracted by his cell phone and didn't have any other passengers keep an eye out.

http://www.dailyastorian.com/Local_News/20180116/fisherman-sues-after-boat-crash-near-hammond-during-buoy-10

Senior citizens should be tested for any and all licenses as their skills decline gradually with age.  It will happen to all of us. 

Also, cell phones and driving/operating machinery, etc don't mix.  

WTF is wrong with people?

25 years ago I witness a small boy killed at Diamond Point cove on Lake George. There was a cuddy cabin pulling some kids in  tubes and unfortunately there was also an adjacent hotel that had Canoes for use . Boat was at full throttle, bow riding high & he never saw the canoe. The mom and sister survived but boy didn’t make it , I was fishing off the dock just in front. I’ll never forget that sound of the collision or the screaming. Boat owner was rightfully charged and turns out was also a boating instructor, I guess NO WAKE was for everyone else...

Edited by Nanuk

I got runover by a ski boat in Barnegat Bay - Lavallette beach back around 1985 or so... I was on a windsurfer... The driver had a spotter for the skier, but instead of relying on the spotter when skier fell, he turned himself and veered right into me. Unfortunately the wind had died and I was barely moving and had no ability to get out of way.  Fortunately I was in the deepest channel closest to beach, and was able to dive down deep enough to elude the boat and prop. I heard it cut the boar in half - literally in half...   The driver was freaked out... They picked me up and towed me in. I was just like WTF - you can't watch the skier on a crowded bay on a Saturday - you have to watch the water.   He got a summons, and replaced all the equipment.  I wish I still had that picture of me holding the board in two pieces. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Scary doesn't even begin to describe that ! Wow .

Nanuk odd you say that because I've been to lake George once . For three days . And witnessed a boat with a bunch of

Young (early 20s) guys ripping all around where we were fishing , they were way too close to us and cutting towards shore . We waved them off and they just kept ripping it up in a no wake zone . All of a sudden a loud smash and the boat stopped they had hit a rock . We checked them they were ok , they started the boat and left . We decided to turn back to the cabin for lunch and we were then full speed headed across , and a charter parasail guide decided to speed passed us rather close , and proceeded to just cut infront of us where we actually had to let off the throttle . We got back and actually decided to pack it up since not only was the fishing horrible that week , but the morons were out in full force .

That sure is a scary scenario. I have a boat and fish out of local inlets.

​I always try to keep a lookout while drifting the reefs for fluke/seabass etc.

I don't want to get caught saying "I THOUGHT  HE SAW US" never..

Usually on a weekend theres a time where i have to say "WATCH THIS GUY"?

But so far we've been lucky- theres plenty of hotshots out there that take it right

to the end before turning there coarse. Big ocean but they have to run on top heading right for you

and pass a drifting boat within a unreasonable distance. 

That sure is a scary scenario. I have a boat and fish out of local inlets.

​I always try to keep a lookout while drifting the reefs for fluke/seabass etc.

I don't want to get caught saying "I THOUGHT  HE SAW US" never..

Usually on a weekend theres a time where i have to say "WATCH THIS GUY"?

But so far we've been lucky- theres plenty of hotshots out there that take it right

to the end before turning there coarse. Big ocean but they have to run on top heading right for you

and pass a drifting boat within a unreasonable distance. 

It was 50% worse in the 90s and early 2000s. I fish out of Raritan bay and there were so many boats on the weekend you could never count all of them around you and it felt like you could walk from boat to boat all the way to Brooklyn. This type of boat traffic is gone now, and therefore it is little safer.  

I cant speak for the Raritan but I have fished out of Barnaget-Manasquan-Shark River for 40years.

In the summer- everywhere you look North to South there are boats.

That's how it used to be here. The economy and fuel prices took care of it, maybe for good.