IGNORED

Anti trapping Bill S179 please read

rgw

Here we go again, get ready for another fight!
S179 was brought up in the Environment and Energy Committee. This bill is the same wording as last years bill  S2750 and is in the same committee just under a different number. This bill will eliminate all trapping except mice and rats in your house (good luck finding a market for them). We need everyone to write, email and call the committee members and tell them you oppose this bill. If you email please also BCC to njfedtrap@gmail.com  so we can keep a count how many emailed so they cant say no one opposed the bill. Below is the 5 members of the committee you need to contact and also the wording of Bill S179. Rember trappers are on the front line of the fight, once the take away trapping they will come for your hunting, so even if you dont trap please email and tell them you oppose this bill

Hope everyone is having a great hunting & trapping season and new year.

SenBSmith@njleg.org
SenGreenstein@njleg.org
SenBateman@njleg.org
SenOroho@njleg.org
SenCodey@njleg.org

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SENATE, No. 179

STATE OF NEW JERSEY
218th LEGISLATURE

PRE-FILED FOR INTRODUCTION IN THE 2018 SESSION

Sponsored by:
Senator  VIN GOPAL
District 11 (Monmouth)

SYNOPSIS
     Bans manufacture, sale, possession, importation, transportation, or use of certain traps.

CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT
     Introduced Pending Technical Review by Legislative Counsel.

An Act concerning certain traps and supplementing Title 23 of the Revised Statutes.

Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:

1.    a.  Except for educational, scientific, or public health purposes pursuant to a special permit issued by the Department of Environmental Protection, no person shall manufacture, sell, offer for sale, possess, import, or transport a trap that is a spring-loaded device that restrains an animal by capturing the foot, leg, or other body part, including an enclosed foothold type trap or any other type trap that uses a jaw, arm, bar, cable, or wire to grasp or pin the animal’s foot, leg, or other body part.
     b.    No person shall trap, or attempt to trap, an animal using a trap that is a spring-loaded device that restrains an animal by capturing the foot, leg, or other body part, including an enclosed foothold type trap or any other type trap that uses a jaw, arm, bar, cable, or wire to grasp or pin the animal’s foot, leg, or other body part.
     c.     All equipment used in, or animals or animal pelts obtained through, a violation of subsection a. or b. of this section shall be confiscated by a law enforcement officer and forfeited.
     d.    Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection a. or b. of this section to the contrary, nothing in this section shall be deemed to prohibit or otherwise apply to a mouse trap or rat trap designed for use in and under buildings.
     e.     Any person who violates subsection a. or b. of this section shall be liable to a civil penalty of not less than $100 nor more than $300 for a first offense, and not less than $500 nor more than $700 for a second offense, and not less than $1,000 nor more than $2,500 for a third or subsequent offense, to be collected in a summary proceeding under the “Penalty Enforcement Law of 1999,” P.L.1999, c.274 (C.2A:58-10 et seq.).

2.    This act shall take effect on the 60th day after the date of enactment.

STATEMENT

This bill would ban the manufacture, sale, offer for sale, possession, importation, or transportation of a trap that is a spring-loaded device that restrains an animal by capturing the foot, leg, or other body part, including an enclosed foothold type trap or any other type trap that uses a jaw, arm, bar, cable, or wire to grasp or pin the animal’s foot, leg, or other body part.  The bill would also prohibit a person from trapping or attempting to trap an animal using such a trap.  The bill specifies that a mouse trap or rat trap designed for use in and under buildings is not a trap prohibited by the bill.  A person who violates the bill would be subject to a civil fine of $100 to $300 for a first offense, $500 to $700 for a second offense, and $1,000 to $2,500 for a third or subsequent offense, plus confiscation and forfeiture of all equipment used in, and animals or pelts obtained through, the violation.
Edited by rgw

I am not a trapper, I don't know all the things to say in an email to ask them to reject this bill. Can you provide some points that we can make or even a sample email to send? I'll send something, but I want to sound like I know what I'm talking about. I don't want to just say just a single sentence of "please reject such-and-such bill" - I prefer to tell them why they should reject it. Unless you think even single sentence email is good enough?

I am not a trapper, I don't know all the things to say in an email to ask them to reject this bill. Can you provide some points that we can make or even a sample email to send? I'll send something, but I want to sound like I know what I'm talking about. I don't want to just say just a single sentence of "please reject such-and-such bill" - I prefer to tell them why they should reject it. Unless you think even single sentence email is good enough?

you just have to say something like

Please oppose S179, this bill will ban the use of all traps used to control predators in the state of New Jersey. New Jersey has a ever growing problem with predators spreading diseases, killing pets and livestock and causing public safety hazards by attacking our children and damming or waterways and flooding our properties and roadways.

you just have to say something like

Please oppose S179, this bill will ban the use of all traps used to control predators in the state of New Jersey. New Jersey has a ever growing problem with predators spreading diseases, killing pets and livestock and causing public safety hazards by attacking our children and damming or waterways and flooding our properties and roadways.

I'm also gonna point out some news articles of the problems we've had with rabies just in the last year or so. If we don't have trappers taking out some of these animals, I assume rabies will more easily spread.

Two years ago, January 2016, a 6-year old boy was attacked and face torn up by a rabid raccoon - picture is not pretty:

http://abc7ny.com/news/raccoon-attacks-6-year-old-boy-on-way-to-school-in-elmwood-park/1175777/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/01/29/elmwood-park-raccoon-attack-rabies/

And just last year:

Last January - rabid coyote attacks a man in  Warren county out walking his dogs: http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2017/01/man_attacked_by_coyote_while_walking_beagles_in_wa.html

Last March - rabid racoon bites Vineland man: http://www.nj.com/cumberland/index.ssf/2017/03/raccoon_that_bit_person_in_vineland_was_rabid_offi.html

Last April - rabid raccoon fights a pet dog in Camden: http://www.camdencounty.com/rabid-raccoon-confirmed-camden/

Last May - rabid racoon threatens man in Cherry Hill: http://www.camdencounty.com/rabid-raccoon-confirmed-cherry-hill/

Last October - rabid racoon attacks pet dogs and their owner in Audubon: http://www.camdencounty.com/rabid-raccoon-confirmed-audubon/