IGNORED

Bird training for GSP

So I convinced my wife to let adopt a GSP come May and I was wondering where people take their dog for bird training. I am researching on how to do it myself but am apprehensive since I never done it before and don't want the dog to not listen to any commands and run off into the woods never to be seen from again. Any thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated. 

How old is the dog? Obedience comes before bird training. Start close with a 4’ leash max. Once you dog will sit, stay, heal at your left side and stop on command you can increase distance. Start pretty close with a 20’ check cord to make the dog come straight to you on command. Increase check cord length as the dog progresses but keep reinforcing commands. If you can’t stop em, make him come to you and sit by your side until you release him with a command you will be chasing your tail.

AWM

How old is the dog? Obedience comes before bird training. Start close with a 4’ leash max. Once you dog will sit, stay, heal at your left side and stop on command you can increase distance. Start pretty close with a 20’ check cord to make the dog come straight to you on command. Increase check cord length as the dog progresses but keep reinforcing commands. If you can’t stop em, make him come to you and sit by your side until you release him with a command you will be chasing your tail.

I don't know the age of the dog since it's still a ways away. The woman told me possibly 1 to 2 years old but I did tell them I prefer a pup so I can train it the way I want. Not sure that will happen but we shall see.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You have many questions to answer.

First, a GSP is a high energy dog and needs room to run and be run a lot. So you will need to dedicate time every day, minimum of ½ hour just for exercise, not to include training.

Second, if you're adopting a dog, which is a great thing to do.... you may not know very much about, its temperament, was it ever trained or hunted over, was it kept inside or out, how is it with other dogs ?

If you have the time to spend you can most likely take an adopted dog and bring it around to be a great friend and hunting partner because most GSP's have that in their genes.

If not, then I would suggest a pup from a breeder, that you could start fresh with or have it initially trained and then follow up on that.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

adopting a hunting dog is just not right you don't no what your getting.....remember a good bird dog starts with a good breeding .......I would not even think about adopting its just silly .spend your money and get a well breed pup and I would be willing to help you ...not that you would even need much help with the right pup .... let me just add that you don't have to teach a well breed dog to hunt you just have to show them how you want it done.......they should come out of the womb finding birds....  welp think about it

I did very little obedience training before bird training

Other then potty training and staying off the furniture

My pups know that bird hunting is why they're here and they wouldn't want it any other way they live for it and nothing makes them happier.

They are house dogs but they hunt a lot and train and work on things during the summer

Getting him on birds is key the more birds the better I buy my own birds and do lots of conditioning and training all year long

Finding someone around you that knows what they're are doing is your best bet look at game preserves they usually offer some sort of training and you can learn and training advice from them

A good bird dog will have natural instinct from the start without any training.

Your biggest question you have to ask is it going to be more hunting or more of a house dog

Like mentioned above gsp need lots of exercise or they will find ways to entertain themselves and it won't be good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0525245499/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_5sPwAb68FFZ1W

That's a book I recommend

I don't know the age of the dog since it's still a ways away. The woman told me possibly 1 to 2 years old but I did tell them I prefer a pup so I can train it the way I want. Not sure that will happen but we shall see.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I hate to say this...but you are really looking for trouble.  A one to two year old, untrained dog is probably not something you want to mess with...unless you know a whole lot more about training bird dogs that it appears.

It is admirable to want to adopt a dog, but adopted dogs may not make serviceable hunting dogs.  There is a reason that hunting dogs  are out for adoption. 

Get a well bred puppy from a reputable breeder.  You will have a pup with the potential to becomea good hunting partnerand a breeder that has a vested interest in helping you both to get there.

RayG