IGNORED

Best tool for the job(s)

BowhunterNJ

A small Kubota tractor with a front end loader is the way to go. I use my Kubota way more than Ive ever Imagined. You almost cant kill them as long as you take care of them. Tractors will far out lift ,out drag ,out haul ,out last any atv or utv. Go with a diesel motor for longevity. Buy a nice clean used one, take care of it you will have it for a long time. Buy a name brand for parts availabilty. If you work with it, things break. Kubota and John Deere are very easy to get parts for

Hauling stone, mulch ,moving trees etc suddenly becomes fun instead of dread. 

A small tractor, dont be fooled is a very powerful piece of equipment. 

I bought a 4x4 49 hp  and put a front end loader on it. The thing is an animal. A 25 to 30 hp is plenty of machine for what you need to do. Always buy bigger than you think you need. 

If you go with a tractor, go with a hydrostat trans instead of gears. Its so much easier than shifting all the time. 

Any piece of equipment will be just as much for an atv/utv as it will be for a tractor except for a tractor it will be more hd and heavier. If the implements you attach dont have weight, it takes longer to do the same job and beats the heck out of your machines. Every farm needs an atv but a tractor gets the job done. Also a tractor holds its value pretty good. 

On my farm, I drive the tractor while my wife drives the atv supervising lol

I have 50 acres to maintain. 20150704_183012.jpg

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

What's the best way for me to "vet out" a used tractor or any UTV/ATV given I have no experience with them other than using my neighbors...which I might add was EXTREMELY useful and saved me days of back breaking work!  Bring a long an experienced mechanic?  Maybe ask my neighbor to come along (not sure how much he knows though either).

i didnt read other posts so sorry if this a double, but when i tractored shop, they said 500 hours on the tractor was roughly around 100,000 miles on a car, so be careful. when i did buy one, it was a used ford 2210 4x4, paid around 11k for it, used it extensively for 2.5 years and sold it for 10.5k, so they definately hold there value, that machine had only 700 hours on it when i got rid of it.

Paul M. Ross

REALTOR

Coldwell Banker Sales Associate

908-943-8842

PAUL THE PAINTER

INTERIOR PAINTING

HUNTERDON/WARREN COUNTIES

908-943-8842

bowhunter, i have a 25.5 ac farm in pa. i use a john deere 2320 compact tractor 4 wheel drive ( 23 h. p. ) i would not go less. i have a 60" loader, 72" mower deck, 48" rear mower ( bush hog ) will handle 3" brush / trees , and a 60" back blade that can swivel and tilt. i also have a gravel driveway, the back blade is used to  groom the driveway, 1/4 mile long. i cant live without the loader. snow is handled with a snow blower with tracks and the loader. the garden is handled with a troy bilt tiller. logs are split with a tow behind troy bilt splitter. d & r has some interesting stuff for grooming the driveway and a walk behind brush mower. i have a 40' x 60' barn to store my stuff. my land is hilley and 4 wheel drive low range and diff. lock is a must. note my tractor has turf tires i only use farmer tires when i bush hog other wise i will not get 2' before i get a flat from thorns.

Edited by bob kudile

I actually don't know what I'm going to do..

I bought a tractor to mow the lawn..

I push mow the small front yard area which is no big deal..

I needed the tractor to do the1/4 acre lawn /septic field and snow blow the driveway .

Well I have a quad with a plow which is faster and easier to attach then the tractors snowblower, so I just use that. Or my neighbor plows with his truck.. so I don't really need the snowblower.

Then, I tore my lawn up for the clover plot, and that needs cut higher than my tractor allows. So I killed all my clover by mowing it too short.

So I'm debating selling my tractor to get a pull behind mower for the atv.. so my clovers don't get cut too short and stressed. I need to mow 6-8" and my deck only goes 5" high.

The log splitter I'll probably keep or upgrade down the road.. not sure. It does fine for my need..

The atv I would sell if I sold the tractor first.. then I would take all the $ from selling both to buy 1 awesome machine.. used of course..

Who knows? Im a spur of the moment kind of guy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

- Grading the gravel (will require some type of implement to do this)dirt rake, shovel, wheel barrow, gravel.

- Plowing snow snow blower, if it's deep let your neighbor do it and bake him a pie.

- Lot of deadwood/firewood that I'd like to be able to cut down, drag out, split, and stack for use.  (will require getting in and out of the wooded areas)wheel barrow, chain saw, maul.

- Lawn cutting/aerating/etc self propelled push mower.

- Mulching landscaping (lot of mulch, around perimeter of property and along house)buy it.

- Brush hogging chain saw

- Manage a small garden at some point (I can do this by hand really, but something that helps til the ground would be a benefit)shovel, dirt rake.

Edited by Nomad

- Grading the gravel (will require some type of implement to do this)dirt rake, shovel, wheel barrow, gravel.

- Plowing snow snow blower, if it's deep let your neighbor do it and bake him a pie.

- Lot of deadwood/firewood that I'd like to be able to cut down, drag out, split, and stack for use.  (will require getting in and out of the wooded areas)wheel barrow, chain saw, maul.

- Lawn cutting/aerating/etc self propelled push mower.

- Mulching landscaping (lot of mulch, around perimeter of property and along house)buy it.

- Brush hogging chain saw

- Manage a small garden at some point (I can do this by hand really, but something that helps til the ground would be a benefit)shovel, dirt rake.

I get what your saying nomad, but wouldn’t you agree that during certain times of the year, free time is invaluable. Between work, deer season, preparing for deer season, and everything else, you’d much rather get the yard work done quickly, rather than spend a whole weekend. And once you own a tractor, you open new possibilities of things that you can’t do with hand tools and a chainsaw

I get what he’s saying. This is more about working smarter/faster than harder which is what DD is saying too. I work long days, if I want to do anything fun I need to be efficient in my free time :)

Although doing it all by hand would be a great workout!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will get enough of a workout getting on and off a small tractor there is a YouTube channel call Everthing attachments they are out of N C so you may not buy from them but let them educate you.

I had 7+ a. When I lived in NJ(have 40 in Va.now) and the Kubota 2620HST 4X4 was perfect plus got to write off much of it because of FLA big point was I bought it 0% down 0% interest JD and HN now offer that as well if I ever get rid of that 2620 it will be to get a 40 h.p. tractor but I may still keep the little guy to work in the woods ( fire wood and food plots) and in hoop houses. Tractors are not flashy or lots of fun but they get work done in a snap that let's you have fun later. Another good edu YouTube channel is Tractor Mike. Let your wife buy a UTV you need a tractor.

I have 2 kubota B series machines and 2 kubota L series machines -- The B series get used way more for everything but snow plowing 

The L series machines have factory cabs and are used mainly for snow -- they both very strong, but light in the rear with a Loader bucket on -- Must have counterweight if uneven terrain with a load in the bucket

B series Kubota is one useful little bastard -- Not so tippy or light in the rear when loaded because of the smaller bucket capacity -- can wiggle your way through the woods with ease

Standar shift VS Hydrostatic -- I have both and it really depends what you want to do with it -- You get hydrostatic if you want to run an implement that needs full power, or a constant engine RPM, like a mower deck

With hydrostatic trans you set your RPM according to your implement needs, then you have indefinite forward or reverse speeds within a low or high range -- Don't discount a standard gear shift machine -- they are cheaper, and if your not going to use a mower, snow blower, tiller, off the PTO just as versatile 

Tractors are cool but you only have 5 acres. Make friends with neighbor and Borrow his tractor when you need one

Get a landscaper to cut the grass. Frees up time to do things you want to do (like hunt and fish) an acre of grass will take you a few hours a week to cut and trim and landscapers are cheap if all they are doing is cutting and trim.

Get a UTV, with Plow, for projects, yard clean up, mulch, firewood, etc.

I find I jump in mine all the time to just run down road to neighbors houses vs getting in truck. Also use check cameras, fill feeder. Or just having fun. Plowing with it is a blast, I end up doing a bunch of neighbors driveways when it snows because I’m having fun.

IMG_7933.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk