• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Butcher review problems and changed.

64 replies to this topic

#41 Male OFFLINE   Ryanm

Ryanm

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 12:28 PM

I have used Tom for years, never anything but perfect work. Was the whole order poor quality, or just these 2 pieces?

Whole order bad. And to answer about freezer burnt, bad vacuum seals when I defrost the venison in my fridge blood drips out of the package everywhere. And the roast the meat turned brown had to cut out the brown meat. All my backstraps have all the silver skin on it as well. Like I said never had this issue either. Had a member reach out to me he and his friend had issues this year as well.

Also I’ve used Tom for years never had a problem until this year. I don’t know if it was just the one deer like this, I don’t label my deer. Chances are it may only be the one deer I got in November.

Edited by Ryanm, 01/12/18 - 12:36 PM.

#42 Male ONLINE   John B

John B

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 12:37 PM

Sorry to hear that. He did 4 deer for me this season, all perfect, except one roast had some sliver skin, thought nothing of it. I have 2 deer pending pickup, hopefully they will be good like the past.
  • Like x 1
  • List

#43 Male OFFLINE   Roon

Roon

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 02:45 PM

I don’t have a horse in this race and have only used Elys. I know nothing about Tom or any other butcher. I do know business though. I’ve been working in the same family owned auto repair business since I was 11. I’ve been running the place since I was 25. I’m now 55. There can be no such thing as a “rough patch” when you are in business for yourself. Word of mouth can make your business or kill your business. When I’m doing a brake job, I can’t have a “rough patch” or someone could die. Jmo

I get it business is business, but you're comparing apples to oranges.
It's all about customer service and finished product.
No one will die cause of a little silver skin unless they choke on it, as could happen with a bad break job.
Regardless of this post I still dropped 10 lbs of meat at Toms for pork roll to be made, and next weekish depending on how motivated I am will be bringing him another 25 lbs of meat, because he does do quality work.
Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

#44 Male OFFLINE   Roon

Roon

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 03:08 PM

Regardless of apartment or not I butcher all my deer on kitchen island and when I rented I did them on the kitchen table cause that was my only work space. A standard kitchen fridge can easily hold a deer and weekly groceries.
Wife is numb to it at this point and posed for the pic lol

Attached Images

• 20161227_105751.jpg

• Funny x 6
  • Like x 1
  • List
Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

#45 Male OFFLINE   BowhunterNJ

BowhunterNJ

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,893 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 03:21 PM

Down south here I have been using lous place in Monroeville for 20 yrs and have always been satisfied. Took a deer last night to Hartman in Berlin. First time there and very friendly and informative about what they make. They had such a great selection I need to kill 2 more deer so I can trust everything

Been using Hartman’s for a few years now. You won’t be disappointed. Really nice folks and well run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like x 1
  • List

#46 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 04:44 PM

I do 95% of my own deer.

Tom has been the only person I have let cut any of my deer in many years.

Take one or two to him every year for Keilbasi.

never saw anything except great work  from him

• Agree x 1
  • List
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING
www.njfishingcharters.net

#47 OFFLINE   archer36

archer36

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 04:47 PM

If you are in the Central Jersey area, you can't go wrong with Big Dog. Fast turnaround, good price, excellent packaging. 

#48 Male OFFLINE   Ryanm

Ryanm

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 05:26 PM

Also had an issue with burger meat, tried multiple times to make venison burgers, maybe someone has more input. I pay the $5 charge for beef fat to be added everytime I brought a deer to him. First time this year I had a problem, I can cook the burger on the grill or frying pan looks great, inside is cooked properly, but the inside stays mushy. Can’t figure if it’s freezer burnt, not mixed properly or freezer burnt beef fat added. Chop meat is fine for tacos and in pasta, also my wife uses bread crumbs and does meatballs. I just don’t understand cooked fully and inside is mushy. I live up north that’s why I went to Hunterdon County butcher with my recent deer. And to answer the respond about butchering deer in an apartment, I can’t butcher deer on my tail gate, my fridge is one of those tiny ones typically in apartments. And I don’t have the counter space or an island kitchen unfortunately.

Edited by Ryanm, 01/12/18 - 05:28 PM.

#49 Male OFFLINE   not on the rug

not on the rug

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 05:48 PM

Outside cooked great but inside mushy sounds like a technique problem. Meat was too cold when you started or pan/grill is too hot
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

"that helpful a**hole"

#50 Male OFFLINE   Ryanm

Ryanm

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 06:11 PM

Outside cooked great but inside mushy sounds like a technique problem. Meat was too cold when you started or pan/grill is too hot

I hope that’s the case, never had the problem I usually cook them on low on the grill. Also I go to shoprite and buy burgers and no issues cooking them they don’t come out mushy. So I don’t think it’s my cooking technique. It really confuses me. Venison burgers taste great on the grill I season a little with the McCormick Worcester pub burger seasoning and it’s pretty good.

Edited by Ryanm, 01/12/18 - 06:16 PM.

#51 Male OFFLINE   not on the rug

not on the rug

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 06:52 PM

I hope that’s the case, never had the problem I usually cook them on low on the grill. Also I go to shoprite and buy burgers and no issues cooking them they don’t come out mushy. So I don’t think it’s my cooking technique. It really confuses me. Venison burgers taste great on the grill I season a little with the McCormick Worcester pub burger seasoning and it’s pretty good.

Are you buying pre-made burgers? Those are pressed in to shape and probably more dense and thinner than the ones you are making at home by hand.

Try letting the meat sit out for an hour or so next time. Form the patties and cook them as you usually do. Red meat should be nearly room temperature before being cooked
  • Like x 1
  • List

"that helpful a**hole"

#52 Male OFFLINE   Northjerseyoutdoorsman

Northjerseyoutdoorsman

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 07:15 PM

I do 95% of my own deer.
Tom has been the only person I have let cut any of my deer in many years.
Take one or two to him every year for Keilbasi.
never saw anything except great work  from him

100 percent agree with all of what you said. I do all my own except I bring him 1 a year and get the whole thing into Keilbasi usually around 260 dollars depending on how big of a deer . He always does a great job. I use to have him do all my deer. I'm was very sad to hear he was moving his Keilbasi is amazing and he is a very nice guy
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#53 Male OFFLINE   Shootemthenmountem

Shootemthenmountem

9 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 07:40 PM

Just going to throw this out there. I am a butcher by trade....old school until now.....50 years old. I have been cutting meat since I was 24 years old. When i hunt and harvest a deer...it's all me. I do not do for others. Looking at the photos....will just say, he either has a problem with his cryo machine....or it got poked or sealed wrong. As for the silver skin (muscle tissue)... no,it has not been removed. Simple fix when you take it out. Let the knife do the work. poke through with the tip of the blade and easily go down the primal with knife slightly angled up....slowly.

• Useful x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#54 Male OFFLINE   Shootemthenmountem

Shootemthenmountem

9 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 07:43 PM

Beef fat was frozen.....would bet for sure!  Nobody holds beef fat for more than 2 days.....I hope!

• Like x 1
  • List

#55 Male OFFLINE   Shootemthenmountem

Shootemthenmountem

9 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 07:44 PM

Regardless of apartment or not I butcher all my deer on kitchen island and when I rented I did them on the kitchen table cause that was my only work space. A standard kitchen fridge can easily hold a deer and weekly groceries.

Boy she looks pissed Roon!

• Agree x 1
  • List

#56 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 08:02 PM

The roast you pictured also appears to be the top round, which you dont cut all the silver skin off of 

Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

#57 Male OFFLINE   Ryanm

Ryanm

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 08:15 PM

What about back straps you don’t trim silver skin off that either. I used Tom for 5 years I know what I was receiving and what has changed and after looking through my freezer it was just my November deer not my two deer from September.

Edited by Ryanm, 01/12/18 - 08:15 PM.

#58 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 09:24 PM

What about back straps you don’t trim silver skin off that either. I used Tom for 5 years I know what I was receiving and what has changed and after looking through my freezer it was just my November deer not my two deer from September.

silver skin should be taken off the back straps for sure,

That's not what you showed in your pic.

IF it was me I would go have a talk with him. as that def isn't his normal way of doing things.

and if he has someone helping him that did that he should know

• Agree x 1
  • List
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

#59 Male ONLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,315 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 09:50 PM

That's a great picture Roon.   :rofl:  :rofl:

• Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#60 Male OFFLINE   Ryanm

Ryanm

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01/13/18 - 12:28 PM

Some pics of jimmy hunterdon deer butchers cuts. Stuff looks great can’t wait to try the breakfast sausage tomorrow morning!

Attached Images

• EEEC98EA-5EBF-4015-BAF0-2F942FD00D19.jpeg

• Like x 3
  • List

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users