• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Butcher review problems and changed.

64 replies to this topic

#21 Male OFFLINE   Stan Putz

Stan Putz

Turkey Dogger

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 01/11/18 - 10:08 PM

I have used 4 butchers for NJ deer in my life, but basically for "butchers" since 2003, so that's about 15 years. All were excellent at times. I do know how to butcher my own, but my time is valuable and when you find a good butcher, it's just better IMHO...    You have to realize they are humans... They are not part of some massive team or corporation, they are the main show.  Every single butcher I have used has had personal issues at one time or another that affected quality.   The best quality I ever get from a butcher is an early September doe - before they get swamped...   The worst time of year to bring a deer to butcher is 6-day or peak rut - there is just no way possible they can logistically keep up and process everything exactly how you expect in the time you expect or give you every ounce of your own venison back.   Go spend some time at a good deer butcher during peek seasons, and tell me how you would do better?  I have seen the best of the best get completely overwhelmed, I have seen them when there are the "lulls" too - when they wished they were busy.  There is just no way to run this type of business and keep everyone happy all the time... This is NOT an easy business - and they need help, and need to trust that help but can't pay them much to keep the cost down for the consumer....

I ran a processing business for 15 years, It started out as doing a few for friends and my father's friends, next thing I knew I was processing 250 deer per year. This was before vacuum sealing was popular, just wrapped meat in freezer paper, and made jerky, keilbasi, slim jims and sausage. It was exciting and I liked the extra money at first, by the time I packed it in, I dreaded deer season. I could probably write a book about some of the a**-holes I had for customers, absolutely no respect for me, my wife, and the fact that this was just a sideline for me, not my bread and butter. When I moved, I sold or donated most of my equipment, changed my phone number, and stopped answering the phone for a while if I knew someone was calling about butchering a deer. My biggest fear was getting lyme, thank God I never did, but most butchers I knew got it a few times. I don't know Tom, but if you're unhappy, my advice would be go somewhere else. Butchering your own deer really isn't that difficult, all you need are some sharp knives and a grinder. I always compared it to going to Jiffy Lube, anyone can change the oil in their car, but if you don't want to deal with the mess and cleanup, you go to a garage.

Edited by Stan Putz, 01/11/18 - 10:09 PM.

• Agree x 3
  • Like x 1
  • List

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

#22 Male OFFLINE   Njhunter77

Njhunter77

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 12:10 AM

I now go out to pa to elys it’s insane how well it’s done and nothing to hide he walks you around and shows you the deer and the whole process only thing is its pricey but you get a lot of meat and it’s done right. I used couple other guys and was paying $140 for two deer plus one was caped out with that price but I’m hooked on elys place now his jerky and bacon are addictive makes just about anything. I left with 3 big boxes of meat

Attached Images

• 4CD336BB-A24D-434B-B342-833C67811255.jpeg
  • FBAE9596-B5B2-4DAB-8FA6-8AC3F056CDF6.jpeg

• Like x 1
  • List

#23 Male OFFLINE   Oddball8945

Oddball8945

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 12:12 AM

yikes, that roast looks terrible damn man even if i was a super lazy butcher and didn't care about getting close and wasting a bit of meat i could trim off all that membrane in a minute or less and have a more decent looking roast vaced for you lol

• Like x 1
  • List

#24 OFFLINE   Reeltight

Reeltight

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 02:00 AM

Jimmy at hunterdon deer butcher does a phenomenal job. Doesn’t matter what part of the season it is either. His cuts are trimmed perfectly and his shop is clean as a whistle. You will be extremely happy when you get your deer back. I’ve tried every “ legitimate” butcher within an hour of Hunterdon County over the last 20 years and none even come close to quality job you get from Jimmy.
  • Agree x 2
  • Like x 2
  • List

#25 Male OFFLINE   Ryanm

Ryanm

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 05:00 AM

Jimmy at hunterdon deer butcher does a phenomenal job. Doesn’t matter what part of the season it is either. His cuts are trimmed perfectly and his shop is clean as a whistle. You will be extremely happy when you get your deer back. I’ve tried every “ legitimate” butcher within an hour of Hunterdon County over the last 20 years and none even come close to quality job you get from Jimmy.

Like I said I’ve always had a little trimming here and there to do, but never like this year. And after jimmy was kind enough to show me the facility and the customers cuts, I’m very confident I’ll be happy with his work. I’ll include pics of some cuts when I get my deer back Saturday. Also his turn around time was very quick three days. But it’s a further drive for me that’s why I choose to pick up tomorrow.

Edited by Ryanm, 01/12/18 - 05:10 AM.

• Like x 1
  • List

#26 Male OFFLINE   Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 05:42 AM

You will be happy with Jimmy
  • Agree x 1
  • Like x 1
  • List

#27 OFFLINE   06roadking

06roadking

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 07:14 AM

I now go out to pa to elys it’s insane how well it’s done and nothing to hide he walks you around and shows you the deer and the whole process only thing is its pricey but you get a lot of meat and it’s done right. I used couple other guys and was paying $140 for two deer plus one was caped out with that price but I’m hooked on elys place now his jerky and bacon are addictive makes just about anything. I left with 3 big boxes of meat

x2 with Elys. Yes, a bit pricy but it would be impossible to get a better product.

#28 OFFLINE   06roadking

06roadking

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 07:23 AM

Not for nothing, Tom is a great guy, never had a problem with him, his service or just stopping by to shoot the $hit.
I butcher my own deer and only go to Tom for my Pork Roll, as I do all my own processing at this point also.
Or to drop off deer I've shot for friends or family.
Tom has more on his plate right now than most can handle, either trim your cuts before cooking or move on. I'm sure he will be 101% once all is okay.
Like NOT ONE OF US HAS HAD A ROUGH PATCH

I don’t have a horse in this race and have only used Elys. I know nothing about Tom or any other butcher. I do know business though. I’ve been working in the same family owned auto repair business since I was 11. I’ve been running the place since I was 25. I’m now 55. There can be no such thing as a “rough patch” when you are in business for yourself. Word of mouth can make your business or kill your business. When I’m doing a brake job, I can’t have a “rough patch” or someone could die. Jmo
  • Like x 3
  • List

#29 OFFLINE   archer36

archer36

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 08:19 AM

The vacuum sealing issue I can't defend but it is sometimes beneficial to keep the silver skin and fat on the meat until prior to cooking. It serves as an extra layer of protection from freezer burn.. If you do not want to do the trimming as you use it, let the butcher know your preferences. If he blows you off then he doesn't deserve your business.  

#30 OFFLINE   archer36

archer36

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 08:23 AM

I ran a processing business for 15 years, It started out as doing a few for friends and my father's friends, next thing I knew I was processing 250 deer per year. This was before vacuum sealing was popular, just wrapped meat in freezer paper, and made jerky, keilbasi, slim jims and sausage. It was exciting and I liked the extra money at first, by the time I packed it in, I dreaded deer season. I could probably write a book about some of the a**-holes I had for customers, absolutely no respect for me, my wife, and the fact that this was just a sideline for me, not my bread and butter. When I moved, I sold or donated most of my equipment, changed my phone number, and stopped answering the phone for a while if I knew someone was calling about butchering a deer. My biggest fear was getting lyme, thank God I never did, but most butchers I knew got it a few times. I don't know Tom, but if you're unhappy, my advice would be go somewhere else. Butchering your own deer really isn't that difficult, all you need are some sharp knives and a grinder. I always compared it to going to Jiffy Lube, anyone can change the oil in their car, but if you don't want to deal with the mess and cleanup, you go to a garage.

I have my deer butchered and process a few myself. It's HARD work. If you think charging anywhere from $75 to $100 for butchering is a lot, you wouldn't catch me doing it for a living. Think about the time, materials, waste disposal, and rent the butcher has to spend and you will realize it's a good deal. I butcher my own deer when I have time to kill. I always opt for the butcher first. 

• Agree x 1
  • List

#31 Male OFFLINE   TroutandBucks

TroutandBucks

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 08:33 AM

I have taken two deer to Tom this year and I friend of mine has taken 5 deer to him. Not one issue and we both cant say anything but positives about Tom. 

• Agree x 1
  • List

#32 Male OFFLINE   not on the rug

not on the rug

13 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 08:36 AM

Have you reached out to him?  There really isn't anything he can do now to make it better but perhaps he isn't even aware that meat went out this way?

I know that he used to butcher every single deer himself, but I'm not sure this is the case anymore.  I've heard in a few places that he has a lot going on right now and I'm guessing he has hired some help (clearly sub-par help) at this point.  

I'm hoping Tom can get things straightened out because he is a great butcher and a really nice guy too

"that helpful a**hole"

#33 Male OFFLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 08:45 AM

I don’t wanna name the butcher, those who use him probably have similar problems, he was suppose to move this year and didn’t. I took 3 deer to him this year never had a problem until this year. My deer is not trimmed properly, I have roasts that look like they were cut right off the hind and vacuum sealed without trimming. I have meat freezer burnt from bad vacuum seals. I’ve been going to the guy for three years and I don’t know what happened but I’m very unhappy. I’ve included pics of cuts to show. I got a fourth deer Saturday, drove 40 minutes to Hunterdon County butcher, guy jimmy is a great guy showed me the facility, even helped get my deer out of the truck. He took the time to explain what I was receiving at my last butcher and showed me customer orders going out what to expect. I’ll include pics when I get my deer back. But for now here’s the pic of the roast that was cut off the hind without trimming and backstrap with bad vacuum seals.

When you get your meat from Jimmy it will look lake Sushi Grade Tuna. He is good

• Agree x 1
  • List

#34 Male OFFLINE   Lunatic

Lunatic

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 08:46 AM

I am using someone new for me this year, Big Dog Butcher in Sayreville. Basic cut $75 and he is excellent!!

• Agree x 1
  • List

#35 OFFLINE   County Hunter

County Hunter

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 08:55 AM

This year I used Tom, my first time, and everything was perfect. I will use him again.

#36 Male OFFLINE   dlist777

dlist777

7 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 09:25 AM

I started doing my own butchering this year.  First time I ever even skinned a deer.  I did 3.  It was hard work.  I enjoyed it and will probably keep doing it myself for a while.  But, I have new respect for guys that do it.  

#37 Male OFFLINE   GoodOleBoysinPA

GoodOleBoysinPA

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 09:57 AM

Like somebody else said having the silver skin on can be beneficial to help keeping it last longer.   But you do have to trim it when you are ready to cook it.  I can see how your mad if thats not what you ask for.     

For the vacuum pack issue, I know I do my own and get those frosty parts here and there.  Its because the meat was wet while vacuuming, its not really freezer burnt. I've had them like that and took them out after a year and they were fine.

It goes back to if you wanna done right, do it yourself.     Still can't figure out why so many people on here pay somebody to cut their deer up.   

Edited by GoodOleBoysinPA, 01/12/18 - 10:13 AM.

#38 Male OFFLINE   Farmshine

Farmshine

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 10:07 AM

Tom is the son and T bones is the father correct? Separate business? I’ve been using Jimmy for 4 years and have been very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#39 Male OFFLINE   Stewey

Stewey

Button Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 10:13 AM

Down south here I have been using lous place in Monroeville for 20 yrs and have always been satisfied. Took a deer last night to Hartman in Berlin. First time there and very friendly and informative about what they make. They had such a great selection I need to kill 2 more deer so I can trust everything

#40 Male ONLINE   John B

John B

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01/12/18 - 11:35 AM

I have used Tom for years, never anything but perfect work. Was the whole order poor quality, or just these 2 pieces?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users