IGNORED

Building a trout rod?

Uplandhunter75

If you had a 150 dollar budget to build the best trout stream fishing outfit you could - what rod and reel would you purchase?

I've been looking into the St. Croix trout series rods, but I've never owned a rod costing more than 60 dollars (and I've broke all of them :rofl: ) A little concerned if that values really there at the price point or if I'm just paying for the St Croix brand. I'm also kind of partial to Okuma reels, but worried about just sticking to what I know.  

Any suggestions appreciated! I'm enjoying the hard water but already starting to think of spring stream fishing..

I have a 7’ 6” Cabelas Three Forks 3 wt, 3 pc with an STH 234 reel that has a gray WF3F Cortland-Lazer line on it. The rod is in a bag and an aluminum tube and the reel is in a case. The rod is new, the reel is lightly used and I will throw in a bunch of flies also. I am near 6 Flags in Jackson if interested. And $150 would work for me.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

I have a 7’ 6” Cabelas Three Forks 3 wt, 3 pc with an STH 234 reel that has a gray WF3F Cortland-Lazer line on it. The rod is in a bag and an aluminum tube and the reel is in a case. The rod is new, the reel is lightly used and I will throw in a bunch of flies also. I am near 6 Flags in Jackson if interested. And $150 would work for me.

Appreciate the offer Y buck, I should have specified I’m building a spinning rod. I currently have a cabelas 3 forks fly set up myself, which I’m very happy with. If only I could be as happy with my casting lol

I honestly can't see investing big bucks for NJ trout. Any 5.5 to 6.5' ultralight graphite rod capable of 2-4lb line should do for working bait or spinners. Same for a reel - you could spend 100s on a top of the line shimano et al - but is it really necessary for NJ Trout which is mostly "put and take" fishing for stockers? I would spend a little more on the reel than the rod, in general though.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I honestly can't see investing big bucks for NJ trout. Any 5.5 to 6.5' ultralight graphite rod capable of 2-4lb line should do for working bait or spinners. Same for a reel - you could spend 100s on a top of the line shimano et al - but is it really necessary for NJ Trout which is mostly "put and take" fishing for stockers? I would spend a little more on the reel than the rod, in general though.

I can admit to this line of thinking as well.. but for what's its worth this rod will be making its way with me to northern PA streams as well as NYS.

I've always got it done with cheap spinning outfits, out of everything I've ever bought (and subsequently broke), ugly stick ultra light combos have always held up the best - even if some of them were particularly neglected.

I guess I just have 150 dollars budgeted to put together an "upgraded" outfit, and was looking forward to having a nice rod set-up I could take some particular pride in and hold onto for a while..

I love the daiwa spinmatic ultra light rods....20-30 bucks & great.

Great rods I found out when my buddy had one shad fishing years ago I thought it was at least a $100 rod. And he told me then 20 bucks. And off I went to buy a few. I still have my old ones years later and a couple new models.

If you are building or having one built. I have built many on the phenix elixir series of blanks. Phenix makes some of the best blanks out there. I fish a 5'6 ul elixer. Favorite trout rod.

As for a reel you chose. Obviously you can spend 20 bucks or 500 bucks they will all pretty much do the same for trout. Dollar for dollar it's tough to bear a phlueger president. The UL has 8 or 9 stainless bearings ( and not all reels use stainless) and it's about 50bucks. I have reels 10 times that price and the president's always feel good.