IGNORED

Most reliable best blood trail mechanical?

John B

I have only used grim reaper when it comes to mechanicals and all have dropped pretty much on the spot so not much to follow. I have noticed something I can’t figure out. I have used thunderheads on recurve, compound and xbow. All deer shot with the recurve and compound left stand up straight and follow bloodtrails. Blood everywhere and at recovery it looked like gobblengrunts... a murder scene LOL but the same thunderheads out of the xbow left minimal if any bloodtrail, i have no idea why. One doe at 10 yards i hit solid heart/lung midway high entrance and downward out the armpit exit. I watched her drop 40yrds away. I walked back and forth looking for blood and I couldn’t find any. Upon gutting the cavity was full of blood, how the heck does that happen when the exit is on the lowest point of the chest cavity? Has anyone else experienced this?

This is what I mean. Double lung broadside, down angle. I watch the deer drop inside 25 to 40 yards. No blood trail, or very little. Issue is when I am on ground hunting and can't see them drop, or they changed direction, and loose site in the early season.

I too am looking for a good mechanical for a crossbow.  There are several threads over on AT now about them, but it gets confusing with all the different opinions on what's best.  I shot thunderheads with no problems out of my compound, but switched to slick tricks for better flight out of the crossbow and have had poor blood trails except for heart shots.  I read rear deploying heads are better because you want the blades to open before going in, to make a big entrance wound.  You may not get an exit hole with a big blade.  Hunting from the ground now doesn't help since there is no low exit hole.

Killzones and grim reaper will be two I'm going to consider.

Edited by Greybeard

I too am looking for a good mechanical for a crossbow.  There are several threads over on AT now about them, but it gets confusing with all the different opinions on what's best.  I shot thunderheads with no problems out of my compound, but switched to trick slicks for better flight out of the crossbow and have had poor blood trails except for heart shots.  I read rear deploying heads are better because you want the blades to open before going in, to make a big entrance wound.  You may not get an exit hole with a big blade.  Hunting from the ground now doesn't help since there is no low exit hole.

Killzones and grim reaper will be two I'm going to consider.

GB I can only speak from my experience with my xbow. My son and I have shot 4 does and 1 buck with the 125 grain newer xbow rages and they've only gone 40yards or less. I use a fixed head on my compound. GL :up:

Mathews Halon

United Bowhunters of NJ

NWTF - Tri County Longbeards

New Jersey Outdoor Alliance

Killed deer with over 50 heads at this point.

The one I seen the least amount of blood from is the Toxic. while I have yet to see a deer shot with one go 40 yards. .

Most consistant blood from a fixed blade has been both the Thunderhead 100 and the Muzzy 100.

Most consistant expandable has been the Grim Reaper whitetail special.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I have only used grim reaper when it comes to mechanicals and all have dropped pretty much on the spot so not much to follow. I have noticed something I can’t figure out. I have used thunderheads on recurve, compound and xbow. All deer shot with the recurve and compound left stand up straight and follow bloodtrails. Blood everywhere and at recovery it looked like gobblengrunts... a murder scene LOL but the same thunderheads out of the xbow left minimal if any bloodtrail, i have no idea why. One doe at 10 yrds i hit solid heart/lung midway high entrance and downward out the armpit exit. I watched her drop 40yrds away. I walked back and forth looking for blood and I couldn’t find any. Upon gutting the cavity was full of blood, how the heck does that happen when the exit is on the lowest point of the chest cavity? Has anyone else experienced this?

The only time I've experienced this has been with smaller fixed heads like Montecs. Perfect double lung shots, low exits (sometimes armpit exits) and virtually no blood trail to follow at all. The heads make a nice internal wound, but somehow it closes up and all the blood stays in the cavity. I don't know if its fat that plugs the wound or the meat just seals back up, but I have experienced that a handful of times with smaller fixed blade heads

George, I liked the DR freak nasty, but found the O ring whistled more than I liked.

I see the new one no longer uses the O rings like the one you posted.

Have you shot the new heads ??

Their containment band is totally different

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/