IGNORED

why are people walking their unleashed dogs on stocked WMAs?

Friend and I were hunting a WMA for some leftover birds today. As we are approaching a dirt trail, I saw some movement ahead of me. I didn't see a hint of orange, or see or hear anything other than a blur of a four-legged animal running by.

Well, I take a few more seconds to look, and I couldn't believe it. A guy with absolutely no orange whatsoever is walking his TWO dogs - I keep looking and he is hurrying up putting a leash on his dogs. The dude wasn't hunting - he was just letting his two dogs walk unleashed on a WMA that was just stocked for birds a few days prior, and no orange at all on him or the dogs. He never said a word, not even a "Hey, I'm here" to alert us of him and his dogs presence. I know he saw us, because as we are looking, he is rushing to push the leashes on his dogs.

Correct me if I'm wrong - that guy is an idiot, right?  :headscratch:

I see it all the time.  Guy could have been an idiot, but more likely he had no clue about what a WMA is; what the seasons are; what the safety requirements are, and all the rest.  To most urban / suburban folk, a WMA is just another kind of "preserved open-green-acres DEP -park-space thing" with a brown sign.

Friend and I were hunting a WMA for some leftover birds today. As we are approaching a dirt trail, I saw some movement ahead of me. I didn't see a hint of orange, or see or hear anything other than a blur of a four-legged animal running by.

Well, I take a few more seconds to look, and I couldn't believe it. A guy with absolutely no orange whatsoever is walking his TWO dogs - I keep looking and he is hurrying up putting a leash on his dogs. The dude wasn't hunting - he was just letting his two dogs walk unleashed on a WMA that was just stocked for birds a few days prior, and no orange at all on him or the dogs. He never said a word, not even a "Hey, I'm here" to alert us of him and his dogs presence. I know he saw us, because as we are looking, he is rushing to push the leashes on his dogs.

Correct me if I'm wrong - that guy is an idiot, right? :headscratch:

Wereyou at Winslow? I bumped into a guy riding a horse at Winslow. Edited by Batsto

I see it all the time.  Guy could have been an idiot, but more likely he had no clue about what a WMA is; what the seasons are; what the safety requirements are, and all the rest.  To most urban / suburban folk, a WMA is just another kind of "preserved open-green-acres DEP -park-space thing" with a brown sign.

True lol he probably thought oh gosh here are some idiots dressed in orange with a gun and I’m trying to walk my dogs here. Better put a leash on so these dumb hunters don’t shoot my dog lmao

See it all the time. WMAs, state forest,etc. People think since they are "in the wild" it's okay for their dogs to run free. Hate to say it but I look forward to the day some coyote snatches one of their dogs. I will feel bad for the dog but not for the dog owner.

I put the bead on a lady's "friendly" pitbull few years back during turkey season. Should have seen her face. Lol. The dog stopped at 15 yards or so. Hate to say it but if my son had been with me that dog would have been dropped at 20 yards.

Mazzgolf, not everyone is as well versed about proper use of WMAs as most hunters and fisherman. True, he should brush up on the regs. before he takes his dogs out but it is public land to use and not abuse. Next time, politely say something to him and maybe educate the guy. Take the win-win approach. He could end up having a better appreciation and respect for hunters and the land.

Edited by HeadedWest1

Nobody needs orange on for me not to shoot them .. No dogs need to be on a leash for me to not shoot them. If you can see yourself accidentally shooting a person because they don’t have orange on you shouldn’t be hunting ..

Edited by Rdfhunter

Nobody needs orange on for me not to shoot them .. No dogs need to be on a leash for me to not shoot them. If you can see yourself accidentally shooting a person because they don’t have orange on you shouldn’t be hunting ..

100% agree, but if we have to wear it (by F&G law) on the property while hunting - why wouldn't it be a decent idea for someone not hunting to take additional safety measures? 

It's not a matter of using them, it's a matter of safely using them. There are plenty of places to go, however, if they just have to go hike around a WMA I would at least put orange on.

Most people don't even know they are on WMA or what it really is. Most have no clue their are farm raised birds running around for hunting and hunters chasing them. Unless you are a hunter how would you know?