IGNORED

What do you do with the fur after the kill

iluv2hunt

So I'm kind of new to predetor hunting. I'm just wondering what everyone does with the fur after the kill. Can you sell it similar to what trappers do? I have killed a nice coyote and red fox and I'm having the pelts tanned to hang in my trophy room but after that how many can you really use.

I've not done this (yet) but I have heard you can sell them to those that will buy them (I think they call this "buying in the round" - buying "green" means skinned but that's all - so you can sell "green", too, if you know how to skin them) - meaning you can sell the carcass to someone who will then do what it is they do to sell the fur and they keep the money on the fur sale.

So you sell a yote to them that you just killed for something like $5, and they take it, skin it, and prepare the fur and they sell it on the open market and hopefully they make a profit.

Of course, you need to take care of the carcass before selling it - if you screw up the fur, you'll just have to throw it away in your trash :)

When I last researched this, I found two folks in south Jersey that buy like this - this was a couple years ago, I don't know if they still buy green or in the round but they were: (1) Newt (Snare One, in Port Republic) and (2) T. Zander & Sons in West Deptford.

You could contact http://www.newjerseytrappers.org/ and ask them this question, also.

Edited by mazzgolf

I am new to trapping, going to put my first sets out today and was wondering the same thing. I am in Hunterdon County and would like to possibly give some to someone that wants them.

I am in hunterdon county, if you need someone to show you how to put them up let me know. you really only have 2 more weeks of good fur then it gets rubbed bad, with these temps it will probably start sooner. that being said these temps is the best trapping I ever seen I believe. pray for no snow on Thursday

I've not done this (yet) but I have heard you can sell them to those that will buy them (I think they call this "buying in the round" - buying "green" means skinned but that's all - so you can sell "green", too, if you know how to skin them) - meaning you can sell the carcass to someone who will then do what it is they do to sell the fur and they keep the money on the fur sale.

So you sell a yote to them that you just killed for something like $5, and they take it, skin it, and prepare the fur and they sell it on the open market and hopefully they make a profit.

Of course, you need to take care of the carcass before selling it - if you screw up the fur, you'll just have to throw it away in your trash :)

When I last researched this, I found two folks in south Jersey that buy like this - this was a couple years ago, I don't know if they still buy green or in the round but they were: (1) Newt (Snare One, in Port Republic) and (2) T. Zander & Sons in West Deptford.

You could contact http://www.newjerseytrappers.org/ and ask them this question, also.

A skin that is messed up while skinning doesn't have to go in the trash. I sew plenty of pelts while preparing from broad heads, bullets, or a tear while skinning. A friend of mine gutted a coyote before brining it to my house because he didn't know what to do. I did a lot of needle work on that one because it was a real nice pelt. Theses are the pics inside and out of that coyote

image.jpg

image.jpg

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

If your pelt has mange, dump it. Don't take it home and don't try to salvage it. You are only transporting the mites from one place to another. If you are going to take the resource please try to use it. If you don't know how to skin either learn or have someone show you. Once it is skinned, roll it up fur side out from the tail to the nose and freeze it if you plan on selling it or tanning. Don't wait to skin K-9's because they rot quickly in the belly area and turn green from the inside out and that will cause the fur to slip and ruin the pelt. Here is pic of a coyote with real bad mange. I did him a favor because mange causes a very slow, painful death

image.jpg

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

What is the end result of most pelts? I don't see people walking around with fur coats or hats anymore?

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

they are bought up at auction, then shipped to places like China and Russia.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

learn the proper way to handle the fur you shoot. then sell the furs to a buyer. I started trapping about 10 years ago and I bought a few dvds on skinning and putting fur up. they really helped me. if you would like, I can lend them to you. 

It would be a shame to shoot something and not know what to do with it. theres always something. best bet is selling, but then there are some taxidermists that will buy them for patch work, another example is guys who tie flies. they are sometimes looking for fur. 

after harvest put critter in feed bag or towel or something, other wise you have to explain to your wife why she cant put her car in garage and why you need it to run a heater to get your critter unstuck,