IGNORED

New Year Pheasant Hunt

Nomad

Got out to our spot at sunrise. 0 degrees and no other hunters. I guess they still were sleeping it off. lol The last stocking of birds was Saturday, so I didn't know how much action we were going to have. Right off the bat we started seeing fresh tracks in the snow. Then I see a hen hunkered down in some brush. I kicked it and it just rolled over. It was frozen solid in the bedded down position. lol Continued on and got into a lot of birds. Ended up getting 3. If old crack shot,(son), had killed the rooster that he kicked up at his feet and then missed twice out in the middle of a field we would have had 4.wink.png He did knock a heck of a lot of feather off it though... Actually we missed a lot of opportunities due to the cold. I had two hens flush up that I didn't get shot off at, because my safety was so stiff I could switch it off with my gloves, hand warmers and unresponsive fingers! It was a fun time. First pic is from today and the rest from the last week.

IMG_1060 (1).jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

Edited by Nomad

Looks like you had a great hunt. My son and I did very well on Saturday with our lab. My dog is 10 now and she really stiiffened up after Saturday's hunt. Between the cold and her sore joints I did not want to push her today.

Was out last week with a friend that has a really good dog.  A lot of fun.  Nice to be able to stay in the open and let the dog go into the nasty stuff.  The snow makes it a lot easier to find them without a dog.  I enjoy tracking them.  Got all my stuff ready, going to go out again tomorrow.  Son will be back to school.

Edited by Nomad