IGNORED

Transporting inline muzzleloader question

It is my understanding that a muzzleloader is considered unloaded , even when there is a powder charge and bullet in the barrel, when there is no primer in the breech.

My question is in regards to the correct way to transport an "unloaded" muzzleloader. If the rifle is cased, where do the primers need to be in relation to it while being transported?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

IMHO, put the primers in another bag with a fastener (zipper).

I don’t think anyone will give you a hard time as long as the primer is out of it, but better to treat it like any other ammo and keep it in a separate bag. Get a Snoopy pencil case and put them in there. No one would ask you to open that up, and it’s compliant.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

It is my understanding that a muzzleloader is considered unloaded , even when there is a powder charge and bullet in the barrel, when there is no primer in the breech.

My question is in regards to the correct way to transport an "unloaded" muzzleloader. If the rifle is cased, where do the primers need to be in relation to it while being transported?

Anywhere except in the gun

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Right now I have my extra powder vials, bullets and primers in a rifle shell carrying case that has a clip that keeps it closed and its attached to a strap on my backpack..

https://m.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/field-stream-rifle-shell-carrying-case-15fnsufsnrflshllhgua/15fnsufsnrflshllhgua

Is this legit, or do I need to remove this case and put it inside something else with a lock or a zipper like you mentioned?

Right now I have my extra powder vials, bullets and primers in a rifle shell carrying case that has a clip that keeps it closed and its attached to a strap on my backpack.. https://m.fieldandstreamshop.com/p/field-stream-rifle-shell-carrying-case-15fnsufsnrflshllhgua/15fnsufsnrflshllhgua

Is this legit, or do I need to remove this case and put it inside something else with a lock or a zipper like you mentioned?

The law states that you must use a case with a “fastener”. The clip on that bag is a “fastener”, so you’re good.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

The law states that you must use a case with a “fastener”. The clip on that bag is a “fastener”, so you’re good.

The bag doesn't have sides on it because it flips open. Does it need to be fully contained AND have a fastener?

You are overthinking this. Get one of these from Harbor Frieght, $ 3.99 on sale with Super Coupon

image.jpg

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

You are overthinking this. Get one of these from Harbor Frieght, $ 3.99 on sale with Super Coupon

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I have one of those ammo boxes. It's just that it's one more thing to pack and another thing to remember to bring. The cartridge holder that I have my primers bullets and powder charges in is already attached to my backpack

Having to read posts like this and decipher all of the insane laws NJ has will keep me from hunting again in NJ next yr. I live in NY and could throw a rock and hit NJ from my property. But I will stay in my home state frome now on. The only exception will be if your state allows an archery bear hunt again next yr. I never thought I would say that NY laws regarding guns and travel would be better than other states. However, hunting in NJ leaves me feeling uneasy traveling back and forth. Even when Im always 100 percent legit as always. Im sure a few of you guys will be like great stay home in NY. Lets not turn it into that. I’ve heard that sentiment on here more than once. Actually I here lt alot in NY as well when guys see a NJ plate and public land as well. I never understood that. Were all hunters and if we dont stick together no matter what state we will be doomed. Regardless, I will continue to use this site as my go to site as Imo this is a great site with a great group of hunters.