IGNORED

Pop up ground blind ?

toxo

Do to my age I started using a pop up ground blind.WOW other then limited sight these things are warm and comfy! My question is about the windows with camo screens.Do you open all the windows  lighting up the inside of the blind  or should you open only the window that you are going to shoot out of really limiting what you can see?

Thankz

I tend to sit toward the back of my blinds with the front open and a portion of each side open so I can see things coming in.  I make sure that my profile isn't exposed if you look across the side windows.  Also, be mindful of where the sunlight is being cast.  That can light you up inside your blind.

I learned that you need to take out the screens if you are bow hunting.  Yes, they are shoot-through, and I took a shot through one.  I was using my crossbow and it affected the bolt flight.  Lucky for the deer and I, it was still a kill shot, but instead of the double lung shot I was aiming for, it dropped and became a heart shot.  The shot was only 10-15 yards in front of me, so any further and the blot would have gone under the deer.  However, I am sure it won't have too much of an effect on a bullet or slug from a gun.  But it might affect buckshot.  I generally take them out of the window I think I'll be shooting out of now.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I have cut a small hole in the screens where I think that I may have a shot.It drives me crazy to hear something behind the blind and not be able to see it.

Here's a tip a friend of mine told me about.Pile a few logs in front of your bait pile so when the Deer is feeding with its head down its eyes are blocked from seeing you in the blind.

Do to my age I started using a pop up ground blind.WOW other then limited sight these things are warm and comfy! My question is about the windows with camo screens.Do you open all the windows  lighting up the inside of the blind  or should you open only the window that you are going to shoot out of really limiting what you can see?

Thankz

You only leave the windows open where your shooting lanes are.  You want the inside to remain as dark as possible.   Sit in the rear of the blind as far back as you can.   Wear black clothing, not camo.

I usually leave a zipper on each of the non-shooting sides open about 1 inch, so if I hear a noise I can see out those small peep holes.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Here's a tip a friend of mine told me about.Pile a few logs in front of your bait pile so when the Deer is feeding with its head down its eyes are blocked from seeing you in the blind.

That's a great idea, I never heard that one before.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Only open what you need to see out to shoot in most cases.  You could open a small one to the left or right and leave the screen up if you want to see one coming or if you have someone in the blind with you.  Also sit as far back into the darkness as you are able.  No need for camo either if you have black or dark clothing of some kind.

Beware setting them up on public land but if you do, I have run a chain lock through the frame of the pop up hub style blind to a tree.

IMG_2047.jpg

Edited by buckfever1974

A word of advice, if you are shooting a muzzle loader or a slug gun/shotgun, make sure that your muzzle is pointed outside of your window. Otherwise, you will make your window much larger. Please don't ask me why it happened twice. LOL!

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

A word of advice, if you are shooting a muzzle loader or a slug gun/shotgun, make sure that your muzzle is pointed outside of your window. Otherwise, you will make your window much larger. Please don't ask me why it happened twice. LOL!

And wear ear plugs.  Its really loud!  

You can't shoot them from the couch.

They are great for late season cold weather hunting. I like to back into some existing brush and attach a few branches to the roof and sides to break up the outline. In super cold weather a buddy propane heater makes hunting a pleasure.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW