IGNORED

Snow experience

jerseybowhunter

After having an extremely slow 6 day, sitting dark to dark every day, my swamp stands just aren't pruducing this year. Im running 1 bait stand on the edge of a cedar swamp, they are barely hitting it but the deer that are, are mostly bucks with 1 decent 8pt. All night pics except the 8 showed once at 12pm and another day at 4pm within the last week. Decided to do something stupid and sit that stand today. I never really hunted in the snow and I never killed a big buck over bait... my question is, in your experience, do they move more during the snow or after? Think I have a better chance of him showing up to the bait in daylight with the snow? It's sleeting here now but supposed to start snowing all day into the night. think I made the right choice? I was going to sit till 9-10, climb down and go sit on the edge of a cedar swamp midday and hope a buck walks the run then come back to the bait for the evening sit. I've only killed 1 buck during 6 day in 11 years of hunting so I need to start trying new things

In my experience the best hunting around a significant snow fall occurs 2 days after the event provided the temps. remain cold and the snow remains. As far as big bucks going to bait in daylight - it can be very effective. For me the hardest deer in the woods to hunt around and catch off guard is the old Doe. We don't see many big bucks while hunting as they are the smallest fraction of the deer population. Best of luck today.  

I think before and after depending on how bad the storm is.  During bad storms they bed up and go into reserve mode.  The deer I posted last night I never saw on the hoof and had a ton of pics, almost no daytime pics except a few during the rut.  Last night he showed up in daylight and I don't doubt it was cause of the incoming front.  They want to feed up so they can wait out the storm bedded.     

I think snow is the best time to catch up to a buck that always seems to be one step ahead. Right now it is snowing good. I am sitting the same stand as last year. It has not been hunted all season. Hoping the neighbors pushed one in this week

Maybe you can spare one and send one down to another neighbor . Lol