• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Why Maine will Never have Antler Restrictions

34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SPEARFISH

SPEARFISH

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 12:32 PM

https://www.google.c...VrAMeYWv3xChWcK

PA Article

• Like x 2
  • List

#22 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,726 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 12:53 PM

PA Article

Beware the numbers game.  They claim that more older bucks are being shot because before APRs the PERCENTAGE of bucks shot was 80% yearlings and 20% older bucks.  Now it's 55% yearlings and 45% older bucks.  Shooting less yearlings automatically increases the PERCENTAGE of older bucks even though you are not shooting more of them.     

Age structure of the antlered harvest before APRs was about 80 percent yearling bucks and 20 percent adult bucks. With the increase in survival of yearling bucks under APRs, the age structure of the antlered harvest changed to about 55 percent yearling bucks and 45 percent adult bucks

Edited by Rusty, 12/07/17 - 12:55 PM.

#23 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 12:53 PM

enough said, that article is 110% on point, the proof is in what the hunters are taking..... Palawman30 (Joe) invites me every years to join him at his PA camp, I really should go

Edited by BHC, 12/07/17 - 12:58 PM.

#24 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • 10,726 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 01:02 PM

Remember why Pa started APRs in the first place.  It was to get hunters to shoot more does, not to produce more big bucks for hunters.  

Gary Alt implemented APRs for one purpose and one purpose only, to get hunters to shoot more does.  When he was put in charge of the deer program he was given one directive, save Pa's forests by drastically reducing the deer herd.  The only way to reduce the deer herd was to get hunters to shoot more does.  To get hunters to shoot more does he implemented APRs.  

#25 Male OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Dominant Buck

• Site Moderators
  • 10,726 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 01:03 PM

enough said, that article is 110% on point, the proof is in what the hunters are taking....

Actually it's not, if you really understand what they are saying.  

#26 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 01:05 PM

Remember why Pa started APRs in the first place.  It was to get hunters to shoot more does, not to produce more big bucks for hunters.  

Gary Alt implemented APRs for one purpose and one purpose only, to get hunters to shoot more does.  When he was put in charge of the deer program he was given one directive, save Pa's forests by drastically reducing the deer herd.  The only way to reduce the deer herd was to get hunters to shoot more does.  To get hunters to shoot more does he implemented APRs.  

and it worked.....many hunter's at first called him every name in the book

#27 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 01:07 PM

Actually it's not, if you really understand what they are saying.  

they are the experts, and over the years they have proven it works, and it shows it's working in the harvest pictures I see from hunters, and from hunters I know hunting the same areas for many years, decades they see a vast improvement in buck size, and the does and fawns are healthy

#28 Male OFFLINE   dlist777

dlist777

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 01:42 PM

Same old argument.  Same people saying the same thing on each side. 

I wonder if a deer can dodge an arrow in one tenth of a second?  Let's get back to that one.  BHC: why don't you post that you're getting the itch again?   :rofl:

• Funny x 4
  • List

#29 Male OFFLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

14 Pointer

• Site Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 01:49 PM

I wonder if a deer can dodge an arrow in one tenth of a second?  Let's get back to that one.  BHC: why don't you post that you're getting the itch again?   :rofl:

APRs increase the age of bucks, therefore creating more educated and alert bucks, therefore more bucks that are capable of ducking a crossbow bolt in 1/10 of a second.   It's all tied together.

• Funny x 3
  • Informative x 1
  • List

#30 Male OFFLINE   hammer4reel

hammer4reel

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 01:52 PM

Bucks get a little age on them and 50% of the hunters have no idea where to look for them 

• Funny x 1
  • Agree x 1
  • List
Captain Dan Bias
REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING
www.njfishingcharters.net

#31 Male OFFLINE   dlist777

dlist777

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 01:53 PM

APRs increase the age of bucks, therefore creating more educated and alert bucks, therefore more bucks that are capable of ducking a crossbow bolt in 1/10 of a second.   It's all tied together.

Makes complete sense.  We'll need a 600 FPS crossbow to even have a hope of recovery if they implement state wide APRs in NJ.  And, that's if we limit our shots to 10 yards.  

• Funny x 1
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#32 Male OFFLINE   BHC

BHC

Dominant Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 02:41 PM

any more itches, and I will see a doctor and get a Ointment  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

• Funny x 2
  • List

#33 Male OFFLINE   BothBarrels

BothBarrels

5 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 04:06 PM

How about .... just one buck a year, any one you like. I don't know, maybe a second buck, with an AR on that one? Or, am I too simplistic? Or, not enough money for DFW?

This is like one of those "studies" of sex where they "determine" many men are attracted to women with large boobs.

I'm a hiney man, but that's not important now.

• Agree x 1
  • List

#34 Male OFFLINE   DBuck

DBuck

6 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 04:16 PM

A person buys their license and permits before they even go out into the woods. It isn't until they are in the woods will they have to make the decision to shoot or not based on ARs (if they exist). So it seems to me, unless I'm reading it wrong, this is actually better for hunters, more chance of actually putting the license/permit to use.

Correct newjerseyhunter,,, It has nothing to do with money, It's Maine, not NJ. Anyone that's ever been to Maine wo​uld be able to tell that they aren't out to ripoff the hunters.

• Like x 1
  • List
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

#35 Male OFFLINE   1957Buck

1957Buck

1975Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 12/07/17 - 06:55 PM

as many bucks can be legal to shoot at just 1.5year 2 1/2 years  old, case in point was the 1.5 year old basket 12 point that was shot the second year of that hunt, I saw this deer and was shocked a buck that young could have that many points!! 

That Statement about a Basket 12 Pointer is a Dangerous one being 1 1/2 years old 

As this one Aged In Trenton when I had it scored was aged between 1 1/2 to 2 years old.

when I posted that on the other site I was attacked for BS.  when I gave back seems they could not take it and I was Banned Nothing Lost.

The area was in Oldwick Warren County The Heard he came from had more of the same sizes all the years we hunted there all were super large and healthy.  Glad this was posted by you about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 bucks with big racks as Antlers are not a sign of how old a deer is Food Minerals play an important role along with Genes.

If you R traveling west on RT 78 near Oldwick there are High Voltage lines crossing it follow them to the top of that Hill and you have where he came from.  There are even some on this site that most likely remember the Bashing Like I give a  :censored:   . 

Attached Images

• msg-1645-0-14583000-1481313120.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck, 12/07/17 - 06:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users